Hi, I want to purchase a *NEW* BB 9780 off Kijiji.. But what precautions should I take? I've read about speakers (making sure they work) and more importantly ESN. Is it possible to check the ESN on a brand new phone though? Or unbranded? And if its sealed in the box, I can't really open it to check.. I plan to ask why its being sold as well.

But is there anything else I can do to make sure everything goes smoothly?

Thanks.
    05-07-11 09:39 AM
    I can't tell you to do it or to avoid it- I've had terrible experiences with Kijiji but at the same time, I've sold my own phones on Kijiji, and I always make sure I'm forthcoming with what the person is getting (ie: if there are scratches in the housing)

If it's brand new in the box, still sealed, you're good to go. If it's a used phone, you're looking for damage (including water damage; if you take the battery out of the back, there's a sticker in the phone and on the battery; these should be white, not red.)

You want to ask/ensure that there is a working PIN (if it doesn't, then this could mean it's a stolen phone or a phone that's been taken from an employee of RIM...even if not, a deactivated PIN means no BBM for you!)

I think my worst purchase was a Storm I; (aside from the fact that it was a Storm I ) The guy was a smoker, and it took WEEKS and rubbing several Bounce sheets on and inside the phone (including the battery!) to get the smell off!! Every time I touched the phone my fingers smelled like nicotine, it was awful! He also said there were no scratches, yet when I got home I noticed a large scratch across the screen...argh.

My best story was purchasing a brand-new-in-box 9700...the guy was awesome to talk to, had all sorts of hookups for other models, and I still keep in touch with him today I call him my BlackBerry Godfather, because if I want a new phone, I know he's got 3 or 4 brand new ones I can have.

Actually, you know what...there are so many things that can go wrong...in the end just TAKE YOUR TIME...the seller is a doofus if s/he gets impatient with you. Carefully inspect it and don't be afraid to reject it if it's not what you're looking for
    05-07-11 10:27 AM
    I have had good luck with Kijiji

I ask the seller outright if the PIN, and ESN are clean, I ask if it has been used, if it is carrier branded, and it's condition,

IF it is New in Box, I ask if I can boot it up upon inspection to confirm the device numbers match those on the box, and I also CALL my carrier to check the if the numbers are clean (CDMA) before I give the money, if the Seller is selling a legitimate product, he/she shouldn't have issues with this.

it is best to let the seller know your intentions in advance as they need to understand the exchange could take 20-40 minutes and not just 2-5min of exchanging money.

Good luck and enjoy
    05-07-11 01:18 PM
    Rather than start a new thread, I'll ask this question in this thread.

A friend of mine has a very nice BlackBerry Bold 965 that was used on Verizon. He got one of the Droids. I was considering buying the phone from him. The phone is in excellent condition with a clear E.S.N. What i would like to know is if I activate this phone (I have Verizon as well) do I have to buy the data account? I just want to use the phone for talking and texting. I have a BB Curve through my employer so I have no need for the email. Thanks in advance.
    05-07-11 10:39 PM
    Rather than start a new thread, I'll ask this question in this thread.

A friend of mine has a very nice BlackBerry Bold 965 that was used on Verizon. He got one of the Droids. I was considering buying the phone from him. The phone is in excellent condition with a clear E.S.N. What i would like to know is if I activate this phone (I have Verizon as well) do I have to buy the data account? I just want to use the phone for talking and texting. I have a BB Curve through my employer so I have no need for the email. Thanks in advance.
    You cannot use a BlackBerry or any other smartphone on VZW without adding the appropriate data plan.
    05-07-11 11:00 PM
    Thank you for that info.
    05-08-11 07:20 AM
    Thanks for the answers everyone, but just one more question.. Lol.

If the BB is sealed in the box, can the IMEI/Serial Number let me know if its stolen or not (ie. If I contact Blackberry, Rogers, or w/e service provider?) .. And if its unbranded?

Thanks.
    05-16-11 04:04 PM
    Thanks for the answers everyone, but just one more question.. Lol.

If the BB is sealed in the box, can the IMEI/Serial Number let me know if its stolen or not (ie. If I contact Blackberry, Rogers, or w/e service provider?) .. And if its unbranded?

Thanks.
    unseal the box, and check the device DON'T just go buy the sticker
    05-16-11 05:45 PM
    I've had nothing but good look with kijiji. My advice though would be just to repeat what's been said. Really check it carefully when you meet, there is almost no chance of getting your money or phone (if it's a trade) back. Be brave enough to say "no thanks" if you're not sure when you meet. Make sure you get the person's phone number beforehand and not just their email address.
    But depending on your market you might get a good deal. Here (Atlantic Canada) it's a Blackberry dominated market. I swapped my old shabby Curve 8520, without box, with an ipod plug and headphones from the 1980's for an as new in box Samsung Focus WP7 (I like to keep a second phone for fun). The kijiji market here holds no respect for Android or Windows Phones, it's all Blackberrys and iPhones. I'm seen Curve 9300 go for $250 just recently and a Samsung Galaxy S' go for $150 (not that I wouldn't prefer the 9300 myself!). If your market was the reverse of this - happy days!
    05-16-11 07:10 PM
    Okay, thanks - I'll take extra precaution. Some buyers do include a receipt, and others, I noticed, sell multiple phones at once - Something I'm trying to stay away from (thank god for the "view other poster's ads" button!

I've used Kijiji quite a bit, I've met a few weird people (LOL), but have no issues with anything I bought - They just weren't phones! I've seen the Curve 9300 going for $250 like you said and would also prefer it over the Galaxy, but I'm too tech saavy for such a basic Blackberry. :P Hate to say it, but. Lol.

I just don't want to be stuck on a long term contract.

Thanks for the advance, everyone. Can't wait to go out and get it.
    05-16-11 09:07 PM
    I think it's quite instructive though. You go to tech blogs and the idea that my new Samsung Focus would be on a par with, say, a Curve 9300 is crazy! And yet, out in the real world, that's about the level of the Samsung focus relative to Blackberry. The best Android phones are far less sellable on kijiji than the big two for Blackberry (Torch and 9780). The Focus and Galaxy S are really on a par only with the 9700 Kijiji wise. This would cause Walt fanboi Mossberg to pull out his few remaining hairs! The real world is where RIM do business, not in tech reviewers world.
    05-16-11 09:31 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD