I am copying this post by the admin and posting in up here since this gets most views thru the day. The reason why this is posted here, I have written down the number of threads created till now 2,835. Now they are common simple questions. But either they are in the wrong section or the answer could have been found very simply but search the forum. Some threads have been moved and some threads have been answered. Normally when someone asks a question on here, most of us search, find the link, then post it to the respective person.....

When asking a question regarding your device and you don't have it listed in your profile and not in your post, it doesn't help us much. When asking about a software question, try and give as much info as possible to your problem. Rather then posting "My phone is broke" or “This software is causing me problems, anyone else have problems"?

This doesn't help out much... Besides the Admin's and Mod's we have allot of respective and high end members on the forums here, and we should be happy they are volunteering there own time to help answer questions and give suggestions, but allot has been repetitive in the past few weeks, even months. And giving very broad questions and not including pertinent info to the topic. Also when people post after someone says use the search tool, or gives an answer to the question and says they could have found the answer by searching..... And they say why people always say to use the search... I never understood their reply, and I am not sure if they understood what they wrote either...... The point is the forum has tools at our disposal, we should use them.

Guys and Gals, I would not be posting this and writing my own descriptive opinion on the matter, but I love this place, it has taught me so much and I want to pass it on as well. But some times we all need a wake up call and pointed in the right direction.

So a little refresher course on the rules laid out for us most active members and also those new members joining the forums. But remember to keep our house clean, that's right this is our place to hang out! We have to help also keep in organized and also well respected.

Unfortunately this Rules/Guideline section is down at the bottom on the page and I bet most people, mostly new members have never read it. I don't recall back in the day when I joined that this was the first post that popped up for me to see and read. That may have changed. But if your interested in the forum, and you have been active on other forums, you should have the basics in forums Etiquette

*Anyone feel this should not be placed here, please understand the point at hand.

Respectfully,

Yester18

Crackberry Member

The following Rules & Guidelines for making Forum Posts will help keep the CrackBerry Community a Happy, Healthy, and Functional Family of BlackBerry Users for centuries to come. When it comes to Posting Rules & Guidelines, we are not reinventing the wheel here, but are relying on proven rules used by other top forum sites on the web:

Post in the Right Forum
    We’ve done our best to layout the forum categories so they are logical and make sense. When you are creating a new thread, do your best to get it in the right category. We want these forums to be value added and educational. The General CrackBerry Discussion and General RIM/BlackBerry Discussion are good places to post if you have a serious question but are not quite sure where to put it. These forums are less stringently moderated, while specific forums (BlackBerry 8700 Series for example) are more strictly moderated to maintain their quality and usefulness.

And of course, we also have the Off-Topic Discussion forum. This is the place on the site to have fun and talk about whatever. From sports to the weather to what to buy your girlfriend for her birthday (buying her a new blackberry is always a good thing), anything goes in here. Just remember to keep it clean, keep it productive and keep it legal!

Avatars, User Names, Signatures, General Posting Guidelines
    Member User Names and Avatars must be appropriate for a Public Forum of all ages. If the moderation team does not feel your Avatar or User Name is appropriate you will kindly be asked to change it (User Name will be changed to one of your choosing by Administration).

Signatures are allowed, and may contain up to one external hyperlinkSignatures should be small and tasteful and take up 1 - 4 lines max in the default font size (the last thing we want is to look at a forum thread and see 15 big signatures that take up all of the screen real estate). Moderators will determine what is acceptable or not.

During your posts, refrain from excessive use of colors, UPPER CASE LETTERS, and excessive use of emoticons. It is fine to express yourself using each of these means, but do so in a reasonable manner. Use common sense.

No Advertising Policy
    CrackBerry.com maintains a No Advertising policy in the forums. Individuals/Businesses may not make posts promoting the sale of their own Products (Accessories, Services, Software, Themes, etc.) within the forums. Traffic Leaching is strictly prohibited. If you'd like to promote or advertise your Accessories, Services, Software, Themes etc. on CrackBerry.com please contact Kevin Michaluk directly. Kevin can be reached via email, kevin at crackberry.com.

Individuals looking to Sell or Swap personally owned items (i.e. Used Unlocked AT&T BlackBerry 8700 for Sale) may post in the Buy & Sell forum.

Please note, if individuals (not related to the company selling a product or service) post on an item that is or becomes available in the ShopCrackBerry.com store, if available for the same price or less we reserve the right to update posts to this link (gotta keep in business!).

Cross/Double Posting
    Please post to the MOST relevant forum. Double or cross forum posting or other attempts at flooding the forum with a stream of posts will be removed. If you find that you have posted in the incorrect forum, please contact a moderator to have it moved to the correct location.

Bumping
    This refers to posting with the deliberate intention to either pad your post count or to keep a thread 'hot' so it appears at the top of the forum. Bumping can sometimes be useful, but you must wait three days from the original post to bump the thread. Only one bump is allowed per thread per user. CrackBerry.com's moderator’s reserve the right to delete useless “bumps” at their discretion.

Make Meaningful Posts
    While CrackBerry.com is geared as much towards entertaining and connecting the Crackberry community as it is to helping solve problems and staying on top of news and rumors, all posts made within the site should be value added and on topic to the thread (even in the free for all). Hijacking a thread off-topic is a big No-No, and posts made for no reason other than to increase post count will be wiped from the site.

Use a Descriptive Title
    This rule is simple; help us to help you. When you create your thread / post, think of it as if 'somone else' is reading it. With that in mind, make your subject lines related to the content of your post. Having a subject line of 'help' or 'now what', will not really help others later when they do a search for a particular issue. So, try to be a little more creative. Example: “My Pearl will not show myFaves icons” or “How do I use BB Maps on my 8100”

Foul language
    Please keep posts and links family appropriate. The administrator’s and moderator’s reserve the right to delete posts at their discretion if they are deemed inappropriate or offensive. Users will be giving a warning for the first violation; any subsequent violation could result in a ban from the forum.

Personal Attacks
    Do not flame, insult or post personal attacks against other users. Be courteous, not rude. Any instances or reports of harassment of members will be treated seriously. CrackBerry.com has a zero tolerance policy against this kind of behavior, which may result with an immediate temporary or permanent ban at moderators' discretion. CrackBerry.com is a friendly place - treat members with respect at all times. If you don't have something nice to say, do not say it!

Reporting a bad post
    There is a "Report bad post" button on the top right side of each post (red/white triangle) or you can send a PM to a moderator.

Use the Site Search and Forum Search
    If you have a basic question that needs answering, depending on the specifics, there’s a good chance the answer might already be posted in the forums and/or elsewhere on the site. We’ve assembled a lot of the basic blackberry FAQs on the site, and with the forums growing daily there is a lot of knowledge accumulating in the database. Doing site searches before posting will help keep things efficient.

Multiple Identities
    Only one username or account is allowed per CrackBerry member. If you have forgotten your log in information, do not create a new account, please contact us. Users found with multiple accounts will be banned.

Keep it Legal
    No posting of Warez in the forums, such as links to download warez, instructions on "cracking" software, or "workarounds" that enable people to utilize for-pay services without paying. Posting this kind of content can result in an immediate and permanent ban. These kinds of activities can get CrackBerry.com in trouble, and nobody wants that, so just don't do it.

SPAM
    A message to spammers - we have NO TOLERANCE for SPAM. Post a spam message and your account and all associated posts will immediately be deleted. No second chances. You won't get away with Spamming CrackBerry.com, so don't bother wasting your time. No link abuse, traffic leaching, advertising, ADULT content or nudity will be tolerated! To help reduce SPAM only members with at least 10 posts may post links.

Moderation Team
    CrackBerry.com's owners trust that any action that a moderator does will follow the above guidelines, please respect them, they are volunteering their time to keep this site fun for all to use. If you feel that you are being treated unfairly, or have a question about an action, you may contact them via PM, or send a PM to one of the Admin’s. Please see this link for a list of Admin’s and Moderator’s.

THE ADMINISTRATORS AND MODERATORS OF CRACKBERRY.COM RESERVE THE RIGHT TO MOVE, REMOVE, EDIT, CLOSE THREADS/POSTS OR BAN MEMBERS (HAVE POSTING PRIVILEGES REVOKED) WHO BREACH THESE RULES OR TERMS OF USE AT OUR SOLE DISCRETION, AND WITH OR WITHOUT PRIOR WARNING OR EXPLANATION.
    (points to a webpage outside of CrackBerry.com), but should not be excessive in length nor contain any promotional text (enticing users to click). Traffic leaching will not be tolerated. Additional signature links are acceptable, so long as they point to pages within the CrackBerry.com site (favorite how to article, forum rules, etc.).
    Last edited by yester18; 10-01-08 at 08:56 PM. Reason: reduce font.
    10-01-08 08:22 PM
    Well done John. Thanks buddy.
    10-01-08 08:53 PM
    Give everyone a little brush up...
    10-01-08 09:00 PM
    Well done John. Thanks buddy.
    Give everyone a little brush up...

Thanks just hope people see it and it doesn't fall to the black hole of nothing... And the point gets across.

Again, Thanks and I hope you guys get what I mean....
    10-01-08 10:23 PM
    Not disagreeing, but I understand why a lot of people post brief descriptions of their problems. A majority of the time that's all they know. Most of the repetitive posts are from new users who may not know it matters what OS, what carrier, what device etc... they are using. Some users see Blackberries as blackberries and nothing more. Not Curves, Pearls, 88XXs so they say "My blackberry isn't connecting to my router" vs. "My 8800 isn't connecting to my router" The difference with the statements is that the 8800 is not capable of wifi. What I do notice is after asking all the questions to help clarify what the issue/concern is, I see their next post having a lot of these elements that is needed to resolve their issue more rapidly.

I really don't mind answering a question 20 times to a newbie or veteran as it promotes a good and friendly environment. Look at the other forums that frown upon the same questions being asked over and over. They don't have 360,000 + members all interacting in a very warm and welcoming atmosphere like CB.

I've hopped from forums to forums and have found my home here at Crackberry. So much that even though I have other devices (iPhones), I will continue to stay active not only because of my love for Crackberries, but the 360,000+ addicts that I can call friends. (I will never stop using Crackberries )

Great job posting the rules.

Cross/Double Posting
    Please post to the MOST relevant forum. Double or cross forum posting or other attempts at flooding the forum with a stream of posts will be removed. If you find that you have posted in the incorrect forum, please contact a moderator to have it moved to the correct location.
    This is one I wish was followed a bit more though. There are usually a couple of mods on. Shoot them a message to move it to the appropriate forums.
    10-01-08 10:42 PM
    Maybe this thead should be stickied as a reminder for a while?

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    10-01-08 11:11 PM
    Thanks we sometimes forget
    10-01-08 11:13 PM
    Wow, you're getting alot of thanks... When I said something about this same issue I got nothing but a ripped *** from senior members...
    10-02-08 06:43 AM
    Wow, you're getting alot of thanks... When I said something about this same issue I got nothing but a ripped *** from senior members...
    I see the thread you mentioned and I for one apologize, 1. I never saw it before. 2. I don't think they were ripping you a new one. Sounds more like they were just posting their opinion on the matter.

http://forums.crackberry.com/f2/help-50243/ Here is the thread.

But also the topic of the thread was very broad IMO. and the post you stated you would not feel inclined to click on the thread... I guess you could agree and disagree on that, but my mian point was on how the forums were being heavily used, allot of use that could have been prevented if Members new and old would read this, and the Main thread that has been here all along, Guideline and rules. Yes they are guidelines and sometimes they are not always followed to a T but I just have noticed allot more, and felt personally I had to make a statement on the matter, Yes I could have PM a mod or Admin, but why not have it come from a general member. I feel people will understand and communicate on the matter better since we are all in the same boat here and the message is not coming from the higher up's and slamming the gavel down.....

I by no means felt obligated to step on any admin or mod's toes. If I did I apologize. But I just wanted it to be a simple eye opener and make a standing point.

I hope you understand.
    10-02-08 07:39 AM
    Thank you. I don't think I ever really read the rules. It's all kinda common sense though so people should know..

One thing I have to point out is the search feature for the forums. I don't feel it does a great job on pinning down what your looking for. I did a search for a thread using the EXACT name of the thread and it was still on the second page of the search. Maybe it's just me though.

Thank you though.
    10-02-08 07:45 AM
    Maybe this thead should be stickied as a reminder for a while?

I second that motion. This thread should be a sticky and possibly any new members should have to read this before they can actually post anything. I know its tough to moderate this, but maybe people will actually think about reading the rules if the thread is at the top instead of being passed up all the way at the bottom. I know when I first joined, I read the rules before I did anything.
    Just my .02 cents

10-02-08 08:17 AM
    I second that motion. This thread should be a sticky and possibly any new members should have to read this before they can actually post anything. I know its tough to moderate this, but maybe people will actually think about reading the rules if the thread is at the top instead of being passed up all the way at the bottom. I know when I first joined, I read the rules before I did anything.
    Just my .02 cents

Skullgame45,

Thanks for your response to this matter.
    10-02-08 12:08 PM
    Thanks just hope people see it and it doesn't fall to the black hole of nothing... And the point gets across.

Again, Thanks and I hope you guys get what I mean....
    Oh, indeed. No worries there.
    10-02-08 12:18 PM
    Like i said earlier, i am glad this is being addressed. The past couple of months around here things are getting out of control. On the same token, I think the senior members need to work together and report issues that effect the forums, so we can have some kind system for when a mod is not around or doesn't see a problem right away and something hits the forums that shouldn't be there. There are lots of us Masters and Geniuses alike on the forums all the time, we need to keep an eye out as well and report issues to to the moderators...
    10-02-08 12:20 PM
    I really don't mind answering a question 20 times to a newbie or veteran as it promotes a good and friendly environment.
    I can't stress how much I completely disagree with that. The general society expects to be spoon fed and I for one will not support it. There's no reason someone can't click on search and see if their question has been asked/answered before they create a new thread.

EDIT: Found this image I thought depicts the mood of my post

Last edited by kvaughan; 10-02-08 at 01:00 PM.
    10-02-08 12:25 PM
    Okay I have to ask, where did you find that.

Atleast a little humor to the thread
    10-02-08 02:00 PM

Googled "search before post" in images, first result
    10-02-08 02:03 PM
    ahh okay cool thanks...
    10-02-08 02:05 PM

Googled "search before post" in images, first result
    if i was an Irony Detector i would have popped a fuse

ok, i'll promise i'll try to be less mean. I blame the dark side for my evil ways... plus some people really deserve it.
    10-02-08 02:10 PM
    if i was an Irony Detector i would have popped a fuse
    LOL I thought the same thing but I'm always willing to help a brother firefighter from the North East
    10-02-08 02:16 PM
    Valid points all around as usual, Yester. I agree, the posting rules are grossly neglected by several members lately...

Just be prepared, however, for some to take this thread as an attempt to kiss a*s and be the thread police. You know how some people always manage to misinterpret things..
    10-02-08 02:18 PM
    LOL I thought the same thing but I'm always willing to help a brother firefighter from the North East
    lol I'm sorry, I would have even thought that would be on google, But now it's on Crackberry and can be found....

Thanks bro.

Valid points all around as usual, Yester. I agree, the posting rules are grossly neglected by several members lately...

Just be prepared, however, for some to take this thread as an attempt to kiss a*s and be the thread police. You know how some people always manage to misinterpret things..

Jenay,

People can say anything they want.... But it simply states at the bottom of the Rules what and will be done... So it's not like there were never told..... Thread police, I think not. I care to much about this place, I have left many other active forums and put my time in here more. I just want to try and help the place be more organized and simplified... I know we will always have others that don't care. But they will have to fight there own battles when the time comes.

Thanks for your reply and comments. Sometimes it's tough writing feeling down and posting them and not knowing how they will be taken, since they are my words and everyone thinks differently.
    Last edited by yester18; 10-02-08 at 02:25 PM. Reason: Add Jenay's Quote.
    10-02-08 02:20 PM

I hear ya Jenay, on the other hand though those people usually get pointed out pretty quick around here...
    10-02-08 02:27 PM
    that comic was amazing!
    10-02-08 02:28 PM
    Just a daily bump if that's cool. It was falling into the bounds of the other pages....
    10-03-08 12:41 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD