View Poll Results: Witht he delay of BB10 phones, what will you be doing next year?

Voters
89. You may not vote on this poll
  • Buy a BB7 Phone

23 25.84%
  • Wait until the end of 2012/start of 2013 for BB10 Phone

45 50.56%
  • Switch to Android

8 8.99%
  • Switch to Windows 7

4 4.49%
  • Switch to iPhone

9 10.11%
    My upgrade is due in April, and I was going to check out the bbx/bb10 (whatever), but with this announcement I've decided to get a 9930 and pay cash for it as not to get locked into another contract. Whenever the bbx/bb10 is released (proably 2013) I will decide if I want to continue down this path with RIM. I'm getting a little tired of their disappointing dates, one push back after another. Its obvious that the company known as RIM has an uncertain future, but I luv their products and its hard to let go.
    12-16-11 07:37 AM
    I wouldn't be surprised to see quad-core phones into 2012. QNX will have to compensate and be really worth not having comparable bleeding tech specs.
    12-16-11 07:42 AM
    Well this sux...my upgrade dropped back in November and I was waiting and holding on to it for the supposed first quarter releases...but, now I don't know what I'm going to do. I have a 9800 that's getting long in the tooth from daily wear and tear.

I want to stay with BB since I have a PlayBook as well, but now do I go ahead and get a 9900 or see if anything drops before summer 2012? If nothing is going to happen until NEXT November, I might as well upgrade and use my 2012 upgrade for the BB10 phone.

*Looking for my time machine so I can go back a few years, slap some sense into the CEO's heads and fix this mess*
    Last edited by CJH315; 12-16-11 at 08:02 AM.
    12-16-11 07:57 AM
    You did read why they were delayed right? They are waiting for the hardware. If you are launching a new platform and you can time it to the absolute latest and greatest hardware that is the absolute best thing to do. Then everything is absolute cutting edge. I would NOT release my ground breaking OS on year old hardware in this market...no sir.
    Absolute...ly

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    12-16-11 08:13 AM
    Playbook OS2.0 will be the deciding factor for me!
    12-16-11 08:23 AM
    Dude, there's millions of BBOS users out there, 75 millions to be exact, all willing to pay for apps (blackberry developers make the most money out of all platforms)
    Has RIM published numbers lately on total sales or downloads from their app store this year?

Where did you read the BB developers are making the most revenue?
    12-16-11 03:51 PM
    Has RIM published numbers lately on total sales or downloads from their app store this year?

Where did you read the BB developers are making the most revenue?
    Google is your friend...

http://crackberry.com/blackberry-dev...ios-developers
    12-16-11 03:55 PM
    Google is your friend...
    HAHAHA.

Clever.
    12-16-11 05:45 PM
    I find that comment very interesting, and I actually just registered to be able to ask you about that. I'm an app developer. I work at a firm that designs and builds a lot of popular apps for various clients, and I've lurked around here and WP7 forums just to keep an eye out for potential opportunities in these two "ecosystems". Like most developers, everyone on our team pays their mortgage/rent from the Apple App Store. That's how we got to do what we love for a living 3 years ago. But then we also make a big investment in working on Android, learning all the tips and tricks of that platform because we see a long term market there.

For Blackberry and Windows Phone, in order to build the kind of apps we build, we would need to invest heavily in learning everything there is to know on that platform to build really remarkable, polished apps with the attention to detail that we like. We may add one of those two platforms to our capabilities in 2012 (but likely not both).

Anyway, with that introduction/perspective out of the way, it's very interesting to observe how many people on this forum (not just you) are looking forward to running Android apps on their BB10 or OS2 devices. To developers like us, we would say "ok, great, just run our Android apps then. That makes it easy for us." Is that good enough? Is that going to satisfy most BB users?

Our interest in developing OS7 apps of course died with the original BBX announcement. We wouldn't make an investment in an orphaned platform. But with BB10, if users are happy running Android apps (or Adobe Air apps), then is there any reason at all to even consider investing time and energy into making native BB10 apps?

Does your Firm do much with HTML5 yet?

I ask this because at DevCON USA it was said that Webworks Apps written for OS7 devices would work on QNX based devices, which would give you the chance to start playing and tinkering on some smaller apps and potentially cross platform apps to leverage into Enterprise customers who are bringing Blackberry Fusion into their infrastructure.

as for Android Apps on BB10 phones/Tablets, honestly I will use FREE (maybe $.99) Android Apps using the app player, but I will be looking to spend my money on apps built native, ESPECIALLY apps that take the time to integrate with BBM there are so many social element apps I am waiting for someone to make to integrate with BBM

I would suggest your Firm convert android apps to BB10 as soon as possible and get a feel for which ones BlackBerry users like, POST WHICH APPS in the App section of the forum and ask for feedback many of us will gladly give you detailed feed back as to the features we would pay for, and your team can do a ROI if it is worth building it,

There IS money to be made in Apps on the BlackBerry Platform, especially if your apps offer bulk purchase pricing for Enterprise and even SMB customers.
    12-16-11 06:57 PM
    Ok, that's not the same thing as saying BB devs make more money. That's saying a higher percentage have made $100k or more. Which is not surprising considering the sheer number of indie dev apps or what we call resume apps with no marketing budget on the other stores. That's not quite the statistic that I could make a business case around, because we don't care about the resume apps. We don't compete with them. The important number for us is how much is the total spend for the categories we care about. So far I have not seen those types of numbers from RIM. But I would definitely like to.
    Last edited by app_Developer; 12-16-11 at 07:20 PM. Reason: Forget an important "not" in that sentence
    12-16-11 07:07 PM
    Does your Firm do much with HTML5 yet?

I ask this because at DevCON USA it was said that Webworks Apps written for OS7 devices would work on QNX based devices, which would give you the chance to start playing and tinkering on some smaller apps and potentially cross platform apps to leverage into Enterprise customers who are bringing Blackberry Fusion into their infrastructure.

as for Android Apps on BB10 phones/Tablets, honestly I will use FREE (maybe $.99) Android Apps using the app player, but I will be looking to spend my money on apps built native, ESPECIALLY apps that take the time to integrate with BBM there are so many social element apps I am waiting for someone to make to integrate with BBM

I would suggest your Firm convert android apps to BB10 as soon as possible and get a feel for which ones BlackBerry users like, POST WHICH APPS in the App section of the forum and ask for feedback many of us will gladly give you detailed feed back as to the features we would pay for, and your team can do a ROI if it is worth building it,

There IS money to be made in Apps on the BlackBerry Platform, especially if your apps offer bulk purchase pricing for Enterprise and even SMB customers.
    Thanks, that's great feedback. Yeah, we have done HTML5 companions to native apps. So here's an iPad app, and if you can't use that, then here's a generic HTML5 app for all the rest of you. That sort of thing. Mostly for retail catalogs or agencies doing open data type work.

All the work/updates for Christmas are in, so we have time to play around for the next few weeks. I hope that Playbook users would appreciate and support true native apps, the way we see iOS users prefer smooth native apps strongly over the inevitably clunkier "cross-platform" choices.

So you're right, the only way to understand this market (and tools) is to make something small. Any suggestions on something that Playbook users want that can be made in a few weeks? Assume fairly advanced developers with a lot of mobile experience. Maybe the right time to experiment a bit.
    Last edited by app_Developer; 12-16-11 at 07:23 PM.
    12-16-11 07:17 PM
    Ok, that's not the same thing as saying BB devs make more money. That's saying a higher percentage have made $100k or more. Which is not surprising considering the sheer number of indie dev apps or what we call resume apps with no marketing budget on the other stores. That's not quite the statistic that I could make a business case around, because we don't care about the resume apps. We don't compete with them. The important number for us is how much is the total spend for the categories we care about. So far I have not seen those types of numbers from RIM. But I would definitely like to.
    if you use twitter I HIGHLY suggest you ask Alec Saunders for those numbers

Twitter
    @asaunders

he is very open
    12-16-11 07:32 PM
    Thanks, that's great feedback. Yeah, we have done HTML5 companions to native apps. So here's an iPad app, and if you can't use that, then here's a generic HTML5 app for all the rest of you. That sort of thing. Mostly for retail catalogs or agencies doing open data type work.

All the work/updates for Christmas are in, so we have time to play around for the next few weeks. I hope that Playbook users would appreciate and support true native apps, the way we see iOS users prefer smooth native apps strongly over the inevitably clunkier "cross-platform" choices.

So you're right, the only way to understand this market (and tools) is to make something small. Any suggestions on something that Playbook users want that can be made in a few weeks? Assume fairly advanced developers with a lot of mobile experience. Maybe the right time to experiment a bit.
    I don't know about the rest of the people but boy do I want an App to calculate margins

by filling in any variable and having the rest populated

Sometimes I know the End Margin I want to achieve, so I need to work backwards to see my max manufacturing cost's. or I know my costs to build, and need to fill the margins and sell prices in which is often done manually

I also need margins moving forward 3 layers from My Manufacturing to My distributor, then his warehousing, then his retail, so I can do target prices, I can Do this in Excel with a bunch of Charts and what not, but a light weight app would be awesome

BUT! Really use the PlayBook App section, ASK the people in their what kind of App they would want, and get a feel for it, I'm a really bad sample of a playbook user my usage is 90% business,

I also would REALLY look into HTML5 on the BBOS7 Platform and how those apps could work with the PlayBook and BBX, with BBOS7 you have a lot of users who are not afraid to spend big dollars since the OS7 phones were far from cheap, and they are all starved for Apps,
    12-16-11 07:43 PM
    Already got my 9900, paid the full retail to stay out of contract and sold my 9780 for half the price of the 9900. Overrall, I actually feel like I did the right move cause even though I loved my 9780 and I will still say it was one of my fave BB's, I don't think I can revert back to it.
    Saving my upgrade for next yr, it the new BB10 devices don't suit my eyes, I am thinking Android just for a trial
    12-16-11 07:45 PM
    Ok in that case, you might want to get intouch with RIM or as deRusett suggested:

I HIGHLY suggest you ask Alec Saunders for those numbers
    12-16-11 09:58 PM
    Anyway, with that introduction/perspective out of the way, it's very interesting to observe how many people on this forum (not just you) are looking forward to running Android apps on their BB10 or OS2 devices. To developers like us, we would say "ok, great, just run our Android apps then. That makes it easy for us." Is that good enough? Is that going to satisfy most BB users?

Our interest in developing OS7 apps of course died with the original BBX announcement. We wouldn't make an investment in an orphaned platform. But with BB10, if users are happy running Android apps (or Adobe Air apps), then is there any reason at all to even consider investing time and energy into making native BB10 apps?

Many of the apps on my BB are limited and crappy compared to apps I've seen on other platforms. Probably due to the limited app space. So with that said, any increase in quality or quantity would be welcome. However, it would be nice to have the same or better level of quality apps that might come from apps developed specifically for the platform rather than Android apps running in an emulator, or however RIM is making this work. So in the short term, yes I would be happy with Android apps, but long term, I would expect better quality apps that are more integrated.
    12-17-11 01:45 AM
41 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD