I am a BB storm 2 user and don't have a data plan/service. Is it possible to use bbm via wifi? Plz help me!!!!!!

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    06-26-10 03:30 PM
    BBM requires a dataplan to work. Once you have this in place, BBM can also work (I think) over WiFi as well as over the dataplan.

But ya gotta have the plan working first.
    06-26-10 03:32 PM
    I can confirm Pete6. You have to have a data plan. Once you do, you can turn off your network and just use wifi. I do this a lot. Especially when I travel aboard, so that I can bbm and not to incur data charges.

Once you turn off your network and turn wifi on, there is a bit of a delay before you can send bbm (It takes my phone around 30 seconds before it works). But once it does, then everything on the blackberry should work. From BBM to email.

EDIT: Actually you can even check if it's connected to the BlackBerry network with wifi. If the wifi icon looks somewhat transparent and grey, then that means your WiFi is on but it's not connected to the BlackBerry network. Though, if the icon is completely black and white, then your wifi is on and you're connected to the BlackBerry network.
    Last edited by peacey; 06-26-10 at 04:31 PM.
    06-26-10 04:28 PM
    Hi just got a blackberry ' was wondering im on t-moble
    and i turn on my wifi and conncet to my home connection
    and when i go on browser it say requsting then it say 'unable to connect to the internet,please try a gain later. if the problem persists please contact your service provider ' Can someone help please
    06-26-10 04:40 PM
    Is it right to say "if wifi icon is black and white you are connected to the blackberry network"?

Should it really be "if wifi is black and white you are connected to a wifi hotspot"?

I could be wrong, though....

06-26-10 04:48 PM
    Mine works with UMA on, radio off. I have a data plan.
    06-26-10 07:41 PM
    Came across this good little tidbit from RIM, pertinent to this thread, Thought you might find it interesting. Attachment 65991
    06-26-10 11:04 PM
    BBM requires a dataplan to work. Once you have this in place, BBM can also work (I think) over WiFi as well as over the dataplan.

But ya gotta have the plan working first.
    +1. My BBM works fine over Wi-Fi. I have a BlackBerry data plan.

If you do not have a BlackBerry data plan, you will not have the service books that allow you to use BBM.
    06-26-10 11:31 PM
    Is it right to say "if wifi icon is black and white you are connected to the blackberry network"?

Should it really be "if wifi is black and white you are connected to a wifi hotspot"?

I could be wrong, though....

Ya jlb21, it is right. The wifi icon has two colours: a greyish colour and a black and white one. If it's grey it means you are connected to WiFi but you're not connected to the BlackBerry network. Though if it's solid black and white, they you are connected to WiFi and to the blackberry network.
    06-27-10 02:11 AM
    For future searchers who hit this thread...

To use BBM you need a BIS account. To do this you need a data plan. This is the same for a lot of features like PUSH technology (email, alerts in weatherbug, etc), and send service books to enable features.

06-27-10 08:58 PM
    hi, i have a bb bold 9700 and I have a data plan with vodafone however I am currently in spain and wish to use the apartments wifi system but I am getting the 'greyish' wifi icon and not the black and white?

Can anyone tell me the way to get this working?
    Thanks
    07-24-10 07:57 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD