So is it possible for a OS to fry a memory card?? The reason why I ask, a couple of weeks ago my 8GB card just stopped working. Nothing was on the card anymore and my Bold did not recognize the card any more. I stuck the card in my Curve and still did not work. I even tried to use it mass storage mode and no success. I tried to reformat the card and that failed as well. Luckily I had all my music backed up on my laptop and had a spare 8GB card. By the way, this happened on OS .214 but just did not know if this was OS related or my 5 month old memory card just go bad.

Thanks for thoughts and input!
    12-27-08 08:46 PM
    man that sucks. did you try to format it?
    12-27-08 08:49 PM
    yes and that failed. The memory card is dead.
    12-27-08 08:52 PM
    sorry to here that, im just glad it wasnt a 16gb
    12-27-08 08:54 PM
    It can't destroy it electrically (literally fry so it never works again) but buggy software could trash partitioning, or logical storage information. The read or write routines could even fail because of a bug. In these cases you should be able to rework it completely in a PC card reader but if the PC card also fails the uSD is probably toast.

The one thing all SD cards really hate is hot swapping without unmounting. If you do that you will eventually get a corrupted card.
    12-27-08 09:08 PM
    It can't destroy it electrically (literally fry so it never works again) but buggy software could trash partitioning, or logical storage information. The read or write routines could even fail because of a bug. In these cases you should be able to rework it completely in a PC card reader but if the PC card also fails the uSD is probably toast.

The one thing all SD cards really hate is hot swapping without unmounting. If you do that you will eventually get a corrupted card.
    I pulled it a few times with no issues but right before I had this problem, I did pull it out without hitting the remove card option. I put it back in and about 30 minutes later, it was toast. I bet that did it after too many times of doing that.

Thanks for your response
    12-27-08 11:26 PM
    I pulled it a few times with no issues but right before I had this problem, I did pull it out without hitting the remove card option. I put it back in and about 30 minutes later, it was toast. I bet that did it after too many times of doing that.

Thanks for your response
    You might be lucky and the low level data structures are scrambled. A PC based reformat might have a chance if you can find a microSD adaptor for a card reader.

Trashing data with hot swap is a probability thing. You might get away with it a few times, but do it often enough and it will bite you in tender places.
    12-28-08 08:20 AM
    So is it possible for a OS to fry a memory card?? The reason why I ask, a couple of weeks ago my 8GB card just stopped working. Nothing was on the card anymore and my Bold did not recognize the card any more. I stuck the card in my Curve and still did not work. I even tried to use it mass storage mode and no success. I tried to reformat the card and that failed as well. Luckily I had all my music backed up on my laptop and had a spare 8GB card. By the way, this happened on OS .214 but just did not know if this was OS related or my 5 month old memory card just go bad.

Thanks for thoughts and input!
    welcome to the club...same deal with my bold and a 4GB card...i was showing off the card to a person(lol) and took it out of the bold...that was all she wrote...nothing recognizes it any more..curve ,bold or PC
    mine happened on .210
    12-28-08 08:24 AM

Thanks for your response
    OOPS just noticed the remove media card option
    12-28-08 08:26 AM
    OOPS just noticed the remove media card option
    Sorry to hear that, Garz. Wow...I also just noticed that option in my phone. I will take that as a lesson learned...
    12-28-08 09:28 AM
    Sorry to hear that, Garz. Wow...I also just noticed that option in my phone. I will take that as a lesson learned...
    Yeah learn from my lesson
    01-02-09 11:45 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD