For months Thor had been saying that BB10 is coming to the PB.

Now "all of a sudden" it's not.

Clearly, something may be coming, but it's not here 'til it's here (thanks to Yogi Berra).

So, that train may be comin' round the mountain, but if there's an avalanche and the tracks are blocked, it's not going to get here.

Lots of people have expressed concern about BB reverting to the old RIM ways of (my assessment) overpromising and underdelivering.

We thought the corporate culture of RIM had changed when, primarily, Jim was ousted... the overconfidence and bravado rather than candor and realistic assessments of their own technology.

I am concerned that is what we are dealing with again.

So, what IS the problem with the corporate culture at BB that would give the CEO the confidence to state that PB will be getting BB10, even when i suspect SOMEONE, SOMEWHERE had to have had concerns that the 1 gigabyte memory wasn't enough, or the CPU wouldn't handle it, or adding yet-another screen resolution to the list of 720 x 720, 768 x 1280 and 720 x 1280 would cause problems... I am only speculating as to what the problem(s) was (are) but if someone in a position to know that BB10 on the PB wasn't feasible, why would they be so terrified to speak up, or why was their opinion / caution ignored? Was there no one telling Thor "DON'T make statements about PB getting BB10 yet: we're not sure!" or was Thor just ignoring such cautions, and making statements on his own, gambling that it would come through?

Is the "emperor's new clothes" corporate culture alive and well at BB? I may have to revert to calling them RIM again, and all I can to say to the "shorts" is: "Well Played".

So, let's speculate as to what IS wrong with the corporate culture, and what BB has to do to change that.
    amazinglygraceless likes this.
    07-02-13 10:21 AM
    Suits will always be suits unless they get a different people in the mix will always get suit approach.Pb announcement is just poorly handle at PR level. Still no statements explaining why. This poor communication all round.They are doing superb work of loosing a 100,000 plus user base on a niche product that was nice extra money for company.Its totally going down the drain.

This a good push to make users not care for the brand.I just see poor handling all on fronts if it all falls apart i ain't even gonna get mad.
    07-02-13 10:42 AM
    So, what IS the problem with the corporate culture at BB that would give the CEO the confidence to state that PB will be getting BB10, even when i suspect SOMEONE, SOMEWHERE had to have had concerns that the 1 gigabyte memory wasn't enough, or the CPU wouldn't handle it, or adding yet-another screen resolution to the list of 720 x 720, 768 x 1280 and 720 x 1280 would cause problems...
    First. QNX is on the PlayBook. Technically, BB10 is already on the PlayBook. What is not there, is the Cascades frame work and some other things that make BB10 for the phones different than the PlayBook. So, in theory, they assumed that they could easily add the interface to the PlayBook. But, while doing so, it seems as if the interface was lacking and Thor decided to cancel it.

The corporate culture on this would be: Let's not put out a crappy upgrade to the PlayBook that everyone will hate.

The question should be: Is the 100,000 PlayBooks sold in the past quarter enough to validate creating a new PlayBook with the appropriate hardware resources to support the GUI?
    Jim Wolfson likes this.
    07-02-13 10:43 AM
    First. QNX is on the PlayBook. Technically, BB10 is already on the PlayBook. What is not there, is the Cascades frame work and some other things that make BB10 for the phones different than the PlayBook. So, in theory, they assumed that they could easily add the interface to the PlayBook. But, while doing so, it seems as if the interface was lacking and Thor decided to cancel it.

The corporate culture on this would be: Let's not put out a crappy upgrade to the PlayBook that everyone will hate.
    LoganSix, remember the point here is that Thor had the confidence that BB10 would come to the playbook as little as 2 months ago to make public statements. In product development, well-run businesses don't just trip along through the fog until they run into a brick wall, and certainly in well-run businesses you don't make affirmative public statements then have to recant them.

Whether the decision not to release BB10 on the PB is strategic or technical, I say that there IS a problem with the corporate culture if you are saying "Yes" then 2 months later saying "No".

If I were in charge of the team that was working to put BB10 on the PB, if I was pressured to say "Sure, we can do it!" before I had done due diligence to make that statement, then is that just me telling the bosses what they want to hear (taking a gamble) because to say otherwise would be to negatively impact my career / job? I'd say any corporate culture that makes "the truth" unpleasant has problems to solve. Is the person in the position incompetent? I.e. they just don't have the chops to port BB10 to the PlayBook or to know that it's not feasible? Well, I thought that team was part of the overall BB10 team, so I kind-of thought they would... but maybe not.

Put simply: last Friday was NOT a good day for Thorsten Heins. He doesn't like making announcements that contradict previous public statements. It is not in his personal best interests nor the interests of the company for which he is CEO.

Something went wrong (and despite the accusations that Thor said "PlayBook will get BB10" to "move PlayBooks", I don't believe that Thor intentionally made misleading statements: that puts him in jail) in reporting how the viability of BB10 on the PB was communicated within the company, and THAT'S the most serious issue in play here. "Empty promises" got the previous board ousted, and frankly, a repeat of that would not be good for any BB device fan.
    07-02-13 10:47 AM
    This is totally my opinion and if you don't agree with it I respect that. I see a lack of a "World View" I see no grand vision from BBRY. It seems fragmented and short sighted. If you look at Samsung etc, they seem to have their finger on the pulse and give the people what they want. A lot of the good folks at BBRY seem to be small ball players. They work very hard and have huge faith in their product, as do I. What they need is to lay out a clear plan for the world market, which might include different products for different markets. Also, a topic that has been discussed to death here, don't announce a new product or service until it's ready for roll out. The whole playbook mess could have been avoided if they waited until the product was finished and workable. if there was a reason that was going to prevent that from happening at least you haven't promised anything. I think they need to spend some time and money on PR (That's PUBLIC RELATIONS) and is quite different from marketing although they should go hand and glove. I like my Z10 but get discouraged when I see this stuff happen. I hope they get it together and can continue bringing new apps to the platform. This is also one of my worries now that the anemic sales have been announced. Dev's are going to continue to wait and see.
    07-02-13 11:10 AM
    In regards to Heins and his public statements, I thought this was a rather insightful statement on another thread:

Heins said that the Z10 was what the market wanted, and that he expected it to outsell the Q10 3 to 1.

Then when the Q10 was released, he said that this is the BB people are familiar with, and it'll sell in tens of millions.

Either he is backpedaling, or has no idea of what the market wants. Both are dangerous indicators for a shareholder. I'm hoping that he provides some clarity at the AGM, and not the cryptic BS that characterized the earnings call.
    07-02-13 11:14 AM
    No need to multiquote and comment.

lorax, recool, travaz, aniym via cgk . . . wisdom on display in all the comments above.
    07-02-13 11:31 AM
    In regards to Heins and his public statements, I thought this was a rather insightful statement on another thread:
    Sounds like he has (and you think he has) "tell them what I think they want to hear"-itis.

I hope it's curable: in cases where it's not curable, it's fatal.
    07-02-13 11:32 AM
    Sounds like he has (and you think he has) "tell them what I think they want to hear"-itis.

I hope it's curable: in cases where it's not curable, it's fatal.
    I reckon the hearitis fever may reach a crisis during the next week, probably peaking on the 9th July... who knows if the patient will survive?
    07-02-13 12:45 PM