The point you continue to prove is that you're unable to read for context. I'm sorry to hear the engineer shares your reading disability, that must be a real handicap for him.

Again, if you believe you can't overcharge a phone from a USB port, you're wrong, it's happened, I've seen it twice.
    I destroyed a battery in a phone using the USB port on my PC, the battery was almost completely dead and apparently the PC USB port tried to charge the battery too fast, it swelled up like a balloon!

I've found the USB port is safe if the battery is about 50% charged or more but it's always safer to use the proper charger.

Sorry, but this is what I'm referencing. To me this is a hardware fault in the battery itself and not the USB port. What I am wondering is what brought you to this exact conclusion in the first place? 5V at 500mA is an understood standard, any phone that allows for charging on a USB port already takes this into account.

So it can't be the USB port itself causing overcharging, it has to be a hardware fault unless the phone comes with very explicit instructions about unplugging it right after it's charged.

I would like to know which phone or phones you experienced this on, I have a couple of friends who can dig them up and i can let you know what they find> I for one would be very interested to see the PCB and know what's going on in there for sure.
    07-08-10 10:43 AM
    My gosh.

This place is full of rude people.

And here I thought it was bad in OT.

I've been hanging out in the wrong spot!

BlackBerry Discussion here I come!

/CREAM

But seriously...

My Battery can BALLOON???

I've always been scared of exploding batteries...

Do they have acids and stuff that can harm you when they go BOOM?
    Last edited by xxxxpradaxxxx; 07-08-10 at 10:54 AM.
    07-08-10 10:48 AM
    Damn people! Must we go on and on about this? The question was answered, no need to prove who's USB cord is bigger!
    07-08-10 10:49 AM
    Don't lock it just yet; I have a question.

If the USB standard output is 500 mA at 5 V, then why did RIM design the thing to be charged at 700 mA? And how does it work: does it just take longer than if it was 700 mA?
    07-08-10 11:08 AM
    Don't lock it just yet; I have a question.

If the USB standard output is 500 mA at 5 V, then why did RIM design the thing to be charged at 700 mA? And how does it work: does it just take longer than if it was 700 mA?
    Ok, I'll answer this and explain why I'm bent on this USB thing. First of all I am worried about people getting information that leads them to believe the USB charger will hurt their phones in any way. This is not the case, never worry about this. There, that's out of the way.

Next, to directly answer your question, RIM has provided the ability to charge from your USB port and a wall charger. The USB maximums are actually a little under what a LIon battery can handle so RIM was nice enough to provide a wall charger that can charge the battery as quickly and effectively as possible. That is the reason RIM designed it this way.

And yes, it is entirely possible to charge a LIon much faster than what RIM does but by doing so you will only achieve about 75% of a charge. The faster you charge, the sooner the charge circuit is tricked into turning off.

The most effective method is a two stage charger. First, max voltage and current are applied. When the battery reaches "capacity" the current is then slowly reduced and the remaining 25% or so of the battery charge is trickled in more slowly. Failing to back off the current as I stated results in a less full battery but will not damage it at all as the battery itself can bleed off the excess current.
    07-08-10 12:52 PM
    Radius,

Thanks for that explanation. I think I get it.

FWIW, I charge with USB almost exclusively and I have no issues.
    07-08-10 01:01 PM
    What about my question?!?!?!

I gets no luves from Radius???
    07-08-10 02:40 PM
    What about my question?!?!?!

I gets no luves from Radius???
    Oh sorry! I missed the last line there as a question. And yes, they can go boom if you put a lot of voltage and current through them.

Most likely they will catch fire though, and LIons are pretty much napalm wrapped in a nice package. They are nasty when they ignite and you really don't want to be near the smoke.

Now as for the lovin', meet me out behind the stadium parking lot in 5 minutes.
    07-08-10 02:59 PM
    I never threatened a lock, although to be honest I DID think about it.
    07-08-10 03:51 PM
    I never threatened a lock, although to be honest I DID think about it.
    Sitting on the fence eh? Let me repost this here list from George Carlin and see if we can't get things moving.
    07-08-10 03:58 PM
    So then my fears of batteries spewing acid alloverdaplace are actually factual???
    07-09-10 10:48 AM
    I do this, i let my phone sit on the blackberry pod all day at work, i use it for music in my office. Then i just dont charge it at home, there are chips in the chargers that dont allow over charging.
    07-09-10 11:07 AM
    So then my fears of batteries spewing acid alloverdaplace are actually factual???
    In a sense. They more or less "burst" or they just catch on fire. It happens sometimes due to hardware flaws which are just natural. Considering how many tens of millions or more batteries are made a year there is going to be a flaw or two creeping in there.

For the most part though battery tech is very stable.
    07-09-10 11:15 AM
    In a sense. They more or less "burst" or they just catch on fire. It happens sometimes due to hardware flaws which are just natural. Considering how many tens of millions or more batteries are made a year there is going to be a flaw or two creeping in there.

For the most part though battery tech is very stable.
    Dude, you're going to give Prada freckin' night terrors, lmao!
    07-09-10 11:21 AM
    AHHHHHHH!

/Runs into the closet with arms in air.

07-09-10 11:30 AM
    Is it possible to over argue a point?
    07-09-10 11:35 AM
    No... Never.

When in doubt, flame someone, then continue over arguing about another topic.

Perfectly logical!
    07-09-10 11:38 AM
    Is it possible to over argue a point?
    I don't think we're arguing anymore, they're just curious about bursting things which is odd as this isn't the OT forum. So I guess we have to keep a modicum of civility here.

07-09-10 11:46 AM
    How can you charge it too much? Just charge it when it needs to be charged , dude

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    07-09-10 11:47 AM
    How can you charge it too much? Just charge it when it needs to be charged , dude

WOWWWWWWW thanks ....lol

Look at what I started haha Its been fun !!
    07-09-10 11:49 AM

That sounds way too simple
    07-09-10 11:49 AM
    But over charging a battery may lead to explosive batteries, which may lead to scarring faces!

It's all on topic, I swear! Just coming full circle!
    07-09-10 11:50 AM
    Lets talk next about why batteries shouldn't go into landfills, could be fun. Prada may have a heartattack
    07-09-10 11:51 AM
    Actually I was trying to be funny. (did ya miss the winkie? - and the semi clever play on the thread title)
    07-09-10 11:51 AM
    Actually I was trying to be funny. (did ya miss the winkie? - and the semi clever play on the thread title)
    I was going to inject humor as well but the boss came and I just hit post. Damn this whole work thing, can't they just leave me on the forums in peace??
    07-09-10 11:53 AM
81 1234
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD