If it's still on the charger once it's fully charged (without the lighting bolt), your
    phone and battery are now basically equivalent to having the phone off the
    charger. So let's say you charge your phone overnight at let's say about 8PM and
    you go to sleep. Let's say it gets a full charge by about 2am. From that point
    forward your battery is acting on its own without the charger. So if you wake up
    at 8am, your actual battery percentage might be down to about 98% or so. But
    the charger nor battery will recognize that it's not longer and at a full charge until
    it is plugged out and plugged in again.
    07-07-10 12:37 PM
    If it's still on the charger once it's fully charged (without the lighting bolt), your
    phone and battery are now basically equivalent to having the phone off the
    charger. So let's say you charge your phone overnight at let's say about 8PM and
    you go to sleep. Let's say it gets a full charge by about 2am. From that point
    forward your battery is acting on its own without the charger. So if you wake up
    at 8am, your actual battery percentage might be down to about 98% or so. But
    the charger nor battery will recognize that it's not longer and at a full charge until
    it is plugged out and plugged in again.
    Sounds good to me, it is now off so I guess I'm good to go. Again, thanks to everyone!
    07-07-10 12:48 PM
    You can't over charge your phone. Have you noticed the lightening bolt over your battery display when it's charging? Have you noticed that once it reaches full that lightening bolt goes away? It turns the charge off to prevent that problem exactly. Although you should not charge your phone unless it is close to being completely dead because that can cause battery damage!
    07-07-10 01:17 PM
    You can't over charge your phone. Have you noticed the lightening bolt over your battery display when it's charging? Have you noticed that once it reaches full that lightening bolt goes away? It turns the charge off to prevent that problem exactly. Although you should not charge your phone unless it is close to being completely dead because that can cause battery damage!
    She probably noticed it, but just didn't put 2 and 2 together. Too complex.

But for the last part, that is incorrect... It is recommended to charge your battery more often, then letting it go down...
    07-07-10 01:21 PM
    Nevermind, I have bigger fish to fry
    Last edited by flchick75; 07-07-10 at 02:52 PM.
    07-07-10 01:35 PM
    Read my above post, try to keep it above 25% at all times.

Older battery tech you had to drain it to zero or it would get a "memory" and not charge as much as it used to. LIon tech needs to stay about 3V in order to stay healthy and will never suffer from a memory.
    07-07-10 02:18 PM
    It says 4.5 to 12.5 Output on the new one but I have to go home to compare it to my BB one
    That's typical, it means it's going to taper off to the lower setting as the battery gets charged up, it should be OK.
    07-07-10 02:49 PM
    You are so wrong it hurts.

This had nothing to do with the USB port, there is no danger of overcharging the phone or "charging it too fast" either from the USB cable or the wall cable.

What you experienced was a failure in the battery protection circuit and quite possibly the BB hardware too. A LIon battery will actually dissipate voltage over its threshold to keep within it's limits but if this fails or too much current is applied too quickly then you get the problem you experienced.

So bottom line, no, you cannot overcharge the battery and USB or wall chargers WILL NOT damage the battery no matter how long they are plugged in for unless you have a hardware defect either in the phone or the battery itself.
    You are so wrong it's amazing! It had EVERYTHING to do with the USB port as there is NO regulation there and phones other than BBs may not have battery protection circuits.

KNOW WHAT YOU'RE TALKING ABOUT BEFORE POSTING, OK?
    07-07-10 02:53 PM
    You are so wrong it's amazing! It had EVERYTHING to do with the USB port as there is NO regulation there and phones other than BBs may not have battery protection circuits.

KNOW WHAT YOU'RE TALKING ABOUT BEFORE POSTING, OK?
    Did you not read my post above. I explained that the phone manages the battery and will not permit overcharging.

A USB port is regulated to supply +5 volts at 500 mAmps. This is the USB power specification.

Most phones today that carrry the standard micro-USB port have overcharging protection and even better most have battery management chips. These are put there to stop people frying their phones or the battery therin and then asking for replacements from their carrier. The protection circuitry is very cheap to put in and it saves the carriers money.

A modern BlackBerry requires +5 Volts at 700 mAmps (look at the label on the charger). Thus it is quite often the case that a standard USB port (not via a hub) will not provide sufficient currrent to charge a BlackBerry.

Car chargers can be dangerous to BlackBerrys if they are not fully (voltage and current) regulated. Why is this? A car voltage is nominally 13.2 volts and more or less unlimited current. At least as far as a phone is concerned. If you dump 13.2 volts into a phone then you will almost certainly fry it even if the current has been somewhat limited.

Radius does actually know what he is on about and so do I.

The best charger for your BlackBerry is the original BlackBerry wall charger that came with the phone.
    07-07-10 03:06 PM
    Did you not read my post above. I explained that the phone manages the battery and will not permit overcharging.
    Yes, did you not read my post? Some phones do, some don't. Not all phones are BlackBerries.
    07-07-10 04:03 PM
    Yes, did you not read my post? Some phones do, some don't. Not all phones are BlackBerries.
    Why are you saying not all phones? You do realize this is all about BB's in this case and has been from the start of the thread right?

Second, I know USB like the back of my hand as I have been involved in hardware design, firmware coding and software interfaces for it. Please explain where you get the impression that USB is not regulated?

I can post a few technical articles and datasheets to completely blow your misinformation out of the water if you like.
    07-07-10 04:08 PM
    She probably noticed it, but just didn't put 2 and 2 together. Too complex.
    The only thing we've noticed is your lack of knowledge, I've yet to see you successfully help anyone out here. You degrade other members to compensate for that, it's crystal clear that your a miserable person. You need to understand you only continue to make yourself look worse. Now that you're on my radar, along with most of the moderators here, I promise you your days are numbered here...
    07-07-10 04:40 PM
    Rob, why are you even consuming your time on it?
    07-07-10 05:27 PM
    Why are you saying not all phones? You do realize this is all about BB's in this case and has been from the start of the thread right?

Second, I know USB like the back of my hand as I have been involved in hardware design, firmware coding and software interfaces for it. Please explain where you get the impression that USB is not regulated?

I can post a few technical articles and datasheets to completely blow your misinformation out of the water if you like.
    Don't want to disturb your comfortable ignorance so have a nice day, OK?

FWIW, I haven't posted any misinformation, you should read before responding.
    07-07-10 07:43 PM
    How bout we talk about the task at hand and not try to sound smarter then everyone else its a website for godsake....
    07-07-10 08:05 PM
    How bout we talk about the task at hand and not try to sound smarter then everyone else its a website for godsake....
    Out of the mouths of babes!!!! Yes lets get back to the task at hand. Or better yet haven't we long since answered the original question?
    07-07-10 08:09 PM
    Don't want to disturb your comfortable ignorance so have a nice day, OK?

FWIW, I haven't posted any misinformation, you should read before responding.
    Quote: It had EVERYTHING to do with the USB port as there is NO regulation

No misinformation? Let me go dig up 2 things:

1) Definition of electrical regulation
    2) USB technical specs.

I think you will find you are 100% wrong. And if you aren't then the USB project I was working on must have failed completely due to the fact there is absolutely no power regulation on the PCB and I rely strictly on the regulated voltage of the USB supply to do the job for me.

Also the fact that in code you can alter the output of the USB port.

Additionally, a lot of USB ports cannot on their own charge a BB so the RIM drivers are made to open the flood gates as it were and output power and current to their maximum potential on the USB port so they can charge the phones.

There's a lot more but I've proved my point. Not to mention the engineer who designs out products has already had a good laugh at this so if you won't take my word for it you can take his.
    07-07-10 08:15 PM
    The only thing we've noticed is your lack of knowledge, I've yet to see you successfully help anyone out here. You degrade other members to compensate for that, it's crystal clear that your a miserable person. You need to understand you only continue to make yourself look worse. Now that you're on my radar, along with most of the moderators here, I promise you your days are numbered here...
    Are you kiddin me...? My lack of knowledge? About what exactly? Did you not read my first post? Then read her response? Cool you only point me out and not the 1000's of other posters that say "wrong forum" or "this has been covered over and over again" or "do a search"....

Why are you so concerned about this? I don't care how I "look" on the internet, why should you care how I "look" on the internet? I'm actually happy, generous person and anyone that knows me personally would say the same thing.... I'm just a realist that doesn't sugar coat things to pretty up my interweb-ego...

I've done my share of helping and contributing fyi.. you must not read everything. But I suppose thats my fault too
    07-07-10 11:35 PM
    And I'm sure the guy who you asked what kind of cookies he liked because he was excited about winning a BB would probably say the same thing...lol RIIIGHT. Most of your posts are just useless rants because you seem like such an angry person. You're quick to point out how "DUMB" people are and how you're the all-knowing crackberry person. I'm sure crackberry won't crash if you decide to leave. If your "helpful" posts didn't have undertones of anger and "I'm smarter than you NOOBS" maybe your above post would seem more sincere...just saying. We're here for fun, I'm not here to argue but Im getting this off my chest and then I"m done with you and how you seem target people (including me). I'm sure you have many many friends who probably miss you, go spend more time with them (rolls eyes).

So congrats on being the only person I have on my ignore list as of now...I won't ask you what kind of cookies YOU like.
    Last edited by flchick75; 07-08-10 at 08:32 AM.
    07-08-10 08:27 AM
    And obviously you only target me out because people say crap like that alllllllll the time in this forum and forums everywhere... but thats right, you DON'T read everything.... b/c if you did, you wouldn't have started this thread....

btw, I'm crushed that I'm on your ignore list.
    07-08-10 09:26 AM
    I have to agree. You always have an angry undertone and try to police everyone and everything.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    07-08-10 09:43 AM
    And this surprises you on the internets?
    07-08-10 09:50 AM
    Just because this is the internet, doesn't mean you need to be a horses rear.
    07-08-10 10:08 AM
    Quote: It had EVERYTHING to do with the USB port as there is NO regulation.... There's a lot more but I've proved my point. Not to mention the engineer who designs out products has already had a good laugh at this so if you won't take my word for it you can take his.
    The point you continue to prove is that you're unable to read for context. I'm sorry to hear the engineer shares your reading disability, that must be a real handicap for him.

Again, if you believe you can't overcharge a phone from a USB port, you're wrong, it's happened, I've seen it twice.
    07-08-10 10:13 AM
    Point taken... I will try to clean up my act.
    07-08-10 10:14 AM
81 1234
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD