I was wondering if those little strips you buy for cell phones that are supposed to boost your signal really work ? Or does any one know any methods of doing so ?
    06-13-08 11:35 AM
    The strips are rip-offs, but the repeaters can actually work. It's not better signal, but traps the signal you do get and keeps "repeating" it.

A cellular repeater, cell phone repeater, or wireless cellular signal booster, a type of bi-directional amplifier (BDA) as commonly named in the wireless telecommunications industry, is a device used to boost the cell phone reception to the local area by the usage of a reception antenna, a signal amplifier and an internal rebroadcast antenna. These are similar to the cellular broadcast towers used to broadcast by the network providers, but are much smaller, usually intended for use by one building. Modern cellular repeater amplifiers work by rebroadcasting cellular signals inside the building. The systems usually use an external, directional antenna to collect the best cellular signal, which is then transmitted to an amplifier unit which amplifies the signal, and retransmits it locally, providing significantly improved signal strength. The more advanced models often also allow multiple cell phones to use the same repeater at the same time, so are suitable for commercial as well as home use.
    06-13-08 11:40 AM
    yeah those little strips are bs, they never work
    06-13-08 01:53 PM
    Those strip antenna boosters are junk, save your money.
    06-13-08 03:09 PM
    The "signal" or "antenna" boosters that are not much more than a sticker with foil simply don't work. Just to satisfy my own curiosity, I bought one from a .99 cent store (science for under a buck ). Anyway, I checked my dBm before installation, -80 dBm. I installed the foil sticker and guess what? My dBm after installation was -80 dBm. So I removed the sticker and went about my business. I thought I'd share that bit-o-science with the group. Not only have we heard they don't work. A live test showed they make no difference to your signal. That's my .02
    10-26-08 05:34 PM
    If you go to thinkgeek.com they sell a signal amplifier that my friend has...it's pretty expensive, but if- say- you use your cell as a homephone and your signal doesn't reach all areas- it's worth it...he bought it cause the only area he could get good signal was his bedroom. It kinda traps the signal you DO get and amplifies it...worked like a charm,now we both have full bars all over the house!
    10-26-08 08:22 PM
    Know someone who tried the stripes - Absolutly did NOT work...
    10-27-08 12:12 AM
    Hello, AT&T tells me that I live exactly between two towers and they fight over me and that's why I have dropped calls and intermittent data., Are they full of s**t or telling the truth? Thanks for any help! CrackBerry kicks ***!

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    11-12-10 12:36 AM
    The strips are (this coming from a canadian with 5% british background and I never say this ever) bollocks (did I spell that right?)

11-12-10 03:42 AM
    I live out west and drive a truck so I'm stuck in a tin can all night. The towers are spread apart almost to the point you barely have signal before the next tower picks up. I got a signal booster that plugs into the cigarette lighter and you throw the lil whip on the roof and works good. Can't beat that for $40 on ebay.

11-12-10 05:35 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD