I am saying this in the light of recent BB Q4 financial result. 2.3M BB7 vs 1.1M BB10 devices.

Version 1 BB10 - As it is we have now. This version is for all touch devices like Z10, Z30 etc where gestures & bb hub will be the integral part of OS.

Version 2 BB10 - For keyboard devices with tool belt. Tweak existing BB10 in such a way that users feel as if they are using BB7. Bring back all goodies of OS7 + Hub. I really like BB7's features & functionality but I can't take those hour glass, lag & awful browser. BB should slowly get rid of old BB7 and focus on QNX based BB10, which is the future.

I'm one of those millions who did not buy Q10 just for one simple reason - it didn't have tool belt. For me, BB is all about Keyboard, Trackpad, GTD, Email & Security. Without these, BB is not BB. I know Z10, Z30 are good devices but for me it's just another touch screen...does not give me that BB feel. I have iPhone 5s now....a wonderful device. Why would I ditch my 5s & buy Z10 or Z30?
    So having 2 versions of the same OS seems to me a win-win situation. I do not like the BB's idea of re-producing BB7 Bold devices.
    03-29-14 10:32 PM
    I think the most you'll get is a dedicated "menu" key to open up existing BB10 menu (that you currently get by tapping and holding an item) + copy/cut/paste (which currently show up when you tap and hold the text selection "bubble").

I can't see them re-working all of BB10 to look like BB7... that would just be insane amount of work after they have trimmed down their development staff. Plus any change introduces new bugs, which need testing, troubleshooting, fixing, etc.

Posted via CB10
    clickitykeys likes this.
    03-29-14 10:42 PM
    I'm still predicting a BB8, which would be the BB7 interface and APIs ported to the QNX version of java. it would be able to run all BB7 apps with improved efficiency (such as not having to reboot to install updates for each app), yet will also support the BB10 APIs so that developers can slowly bring their apps to the new OS while still having them work on BB8 devices (with a few tweaks)
    belfastdispatcher and riss89 like this.
    03-29-14 10:47 PM
    You have a 5s.. and you never bothered to try the Z devices... you know touchscreens don't all run the same os right? that's one reason you might or might not ditch one phone for another

From zee coolest flicking smartphone ever
    03-30-14 12:12 AM
    You have a 5s.. and you never bothered to try the Z devices... you know touchscreens don't all run the same os right? that's one reason you might or might not ditch one phone for another

I am not saying Z devices are bad. I prefer physical keyboard to touch screen. I like Q10 but no tool belt. I'm waiting for Q20.
    raph_ryo likes this.
    03-30-14 08:12 PM
    I think the most you'll get is a dedicated "menu" key to open up existing BB10 menu (that you currently get by tapping and holding an item) + copy/cut/paste (which currently show up when you tap and hold the text selection "bubble").

I can't see them re-working all of BB10 to look like BB7... that would just be insane amount of work after they have trimmed down their development staff. Plus any change introduces new bugs, which need testing, troubleshooting, fixing, etc.

Posted via CB10
    If they do take on this project they better do it soon before Microsoft launches a windows 95 phone compatible with a typo keyboard.
    AnimalPak200 and chgaida like this.
    03-30-14 08:17 PM
    If they do take on this project they better do it soon before Microsoft launches a windows 95 phone compatible with a typo keyboard.
    This is a joke right lol?

03-31-14 03:21 PM
    No...... would be a total waste of money they are having a hard enough time getting dev's to write apps for bb10 could you imagine the outrage from some people who have one or the other devises and the app is on one but not the other.

Posted via CB10
    Last edited by silversmith75; 04-01-14 at 06:53 PM.
    SK122387 likes this.
    03-31-14 04:27 PM
    This is a joke right lol?

This post or my comment?
    03-31-14 09:51 PM
    I'm still predicting a BB8, which would be the BB7 interface and APIs ported to the QNX version of java. it would be able to run all BB7 apps with improved efficiency (such as not having to reboot to install updates for each app), yet will also support the BB10 APIs so that developers can slowly bring their apps to the new OS while still having them work on BB8 devices (with a few tweaks)
    I genuinely love this idea. What a genius mind you must have.. Would this not be the solution to a lot of BB's issues ? and even end the warring between the platforms of OS7 and BB10? Someone should start a petition or something to propose this to Chen and BB. If it's technological possible and the demand for it is voiced I don't see why they couldn't or wouldn't make something like this happen, granted having the funding and tech savy to pull it off

Sent from my BlackBerry 9350
    03-31-14 10:01 PM
    I genuinely love this idea. What a genius mind you must have.. Would this not be the solution to a lot of BB's issues ? and even end the warring between the platforms of OS7 and BB10? Someone should start a petition or something to propose this to Chen and BB. If it's technological possible and the demand for it is voiced I don't see why they couldn't or wouldn't make something like this happen, granted having the funding and tech savy to pull it off

Sent from my BlackBerry 9350
    If it was that easy they'd have done this lol

Java as a whole is just not feasible

03-31-14 10:50 PM

Hmmm... there must be some solution, either a merge or child of the two platforms that's compatible with both BB10 and OS7 devices, or perhaps some way to bring the OS7 platform into more relevancy ? I just have such a hard time grasping that OS7 cannot be further improved upon. technology and minds have come to far and achieved too great of things for some type of solution to not be attained. Sure it would take money and hard work, but why should it be easy? If they do it right it will be worth it... right?
    03-31-14 11:01 PM
    Not a good use of resources and money.

Posted via CB10
    04-01-14 12:40 AM
    I am not saying Z devices are bad. I prefer physical keyboard to touch screen. I like Q10 but no tool belt. I'm waiting for Q20.
    Because to say why ditch the iPhone 5s... is to say " oh I have no idea how good the BB10 touch keyboard is"

Z10STL100-3/10.2.1.2141
    04-01-14 12:45 AM
    If the Z10 were just another touch screen, I wouldn't have bought it.

It has the best virtual keyboard, which is no surprise considering the name on the front of it. It's got many of the efficient things that make a BlackBerry a BlackBerry, but no, it doesn't have a belt.

I'm all for BlackBerry turning itself around by whatever means necessary, and I'll buy the Q20 or whatever with the belt, because I used that belt for years and obviously was comfortable with it. But I've not really missed it, to be honest. QNX is so many things to so many companies. They could make it look like iOS or Android if they wanted to, I'm sure, so they could probably use QNX to make up an OS7 lookalike. I hope they don't though, at least not for all devices.

I love BlackBerry 10 and all that it is. Sure I'd love some of the notification customizations and the copy and paste ease of OS7, but the trade off of the Hub, speed, Peek/Flow in BB10 is worth not having them for me.
    04-01-14 12:55 AM
    Fragmentation.

Posted via Q10
    04-01-14 01:03 AM

Posted via CB10
    Chen said in the recent CBC interview "we're not only bringing back the trackpad but some of the interface you loved on the Bold"

#believeinfilm
    04-01-14 02:19 AM

Would a virtual BBOS player like the android player not work? BB10 would be powerful enough to run the whole BBOS, especially if they get rid of the android crap.

#believeinfilm
    04-01-14 02:21 AM
    I think eventually that will happen.

#believeinfilm
    riss89 likes this.
    04-01-14 02:23 AM
    Would a virtual BBOS player like the android player not work? BB10 would be powerful enough to run the whole BBOS, especially if they get rid of the android crap.

#believeinfilm
    Because BBOS apps were so feature rich. Even the banking apps for it were steps below using a mobile website.

There isn't a single app other than BrickBreaker that I would want back from my 8530, 8300, 9700, or 9810.

Posted via CB10
    04-01-14 05:41 AM

#believeinfilm
    For example the playbook was built using air.. but they eventually went with cascade for bb10. That's because air was a resource hog.

As we've seen with the android runtime, it takes a lot to perfect even a modern os runtime. Java honestly is still not something people these days are going towards. People are moving "away" from java so for them to even start contemplating how to make it run now would be silly. Like I said, BlackBerry themselves were afraid of change, and they stuck by Bbos when perhaps it would have behoove them to start a fresh years before. I believe if it was something feasible for the entire future, they'd have done it.

Like I also said, unlike the android runtime, less people are developing java based, so you'd find them . supporting 3 systems on1 phone.. nah not feasible. I think the closest thing is to continue releasing os7 with updated specs. Problem is even the ecosystem of os 7 is dwindling and app makers and such are not going to go update their apps. The browsers will struggle to achieve the modern standard of browsers again because it runs differently.

Look at the difference between playbook browser and bb10. I have both clear as day.

Also I never thought for once that apps would be a favorable point for os7 considering their qualities are not up to the modern counterparts.... unless you are suggestion they run a full OS7 on QNX which I definitely wouldn't be able to imagine how much of time wasted effort that would be

04-01-14 09:18 AM
    For example the playbook was built using air.. but they eventually went with cascade for bb10. That's because air was a resource hog.

As we've seen with the android runtime, it takes a lot to perfect even a modern os runtime. Java honestly is still not something people these days are going towards. People are moving "away" from java so for them to even start contemplating how to make it run now would be silly. Like I said, BlackBerry themselves were afraid of change, and they stuck by Bbos when perhaps it would have behoove them to start a fresh years before. I believe if it was something feasible for the entire future, they'd have done it.

Like I also said, unlike the android runtime, less people are developing java based, so you'd find them . supporting 3 systems on1 phone.. nah not feasible. I think the closest thing is to continue releasing os7 with updated specs. Problem is even the ecosystem of os 7 is dwindling and app makers and such are not going to go update their apps. The browsers will struggle to achieve the modern standard of browsers again because it runs differently.

Look at the difference between playbook browser and bb10. I have both clear as day.

Also I never thought for once that apps would be a favorable point for os7 considering their qualities are not up to the modern counterparts.... unless you are suggestion they run a full OS7 on QNX which I definitely wouldn't be able to imagine how much of time wasted effort that would be

What you say makes sense the way you analyse it but you're missing a very important factor: already purchased apps, no matter how good or bad they were.

The transition to BB10 meant all the previous purchased apps had to be left behind and purchased again.

Personally I spent well over �100 over the years in BB World. I also bought a full dataviz licence that later was incorporated for free after BB bought them but they actually left a lot of services out, for example the Files Sync, a PC and device program that would sync any files two way from your pc to your device and back.

#believeinfilm
    04-01-14 09:38 AM
    What you say makes sense the way you analyse it but you're missing a very important factor: already purchased apps, no matter how good or bad they were.

The transition to BB10 meant all the previous purchased apps had to be left behind and purchased again.

Personally I spent well over �100 over the years in BB World. I also bought a full dataviz licence that later was incorporated for free after BB bought them but they actually left a lot of services out, for example the Files Sync, a PC and device program that would sync any files two way from your pc to your device and back.

#believeinfilm
    Unfortunately that's the crap part. Owners of playbook had to suffer this fragmentation too. That's part of the crap where you can tell they didn't really have enough thought into bb10 as a "continuation " which I feel is part of the alienation that bbos users are talking about.

I feel like the trackpad was another huge thing. The editing software that launched with bb10 was so crap you could see why bbos users didn't upgrade. Honestly I think your best move would be to keep that bold or whatever you currently use and get another phone whether bb10 or something else. To play devil's advocates however I remembered when I had the 2nd Gen ipod touch ar one point about 80% of my app didn't work especially like half simply because the app owners updated their apps to include camera usage and those didn't have it.

I do wish there was a happy medium where if someone wanted bbos alongside the android runtime they could download it. The problem again being java's "phasing out ". Weird most pc apps are staying clear too

04-01-14 10:04 AM
    Chen said in the recent CBC interview "we're not only bringing back the trackpad but some of the interface you loved on the Bold"

#believeinfilm
    Still BB10.

Z10STL100-3/10.2.1.2141
    04-01-14 11:28 AM