I just recently picked up my first BB and its a Tour. So I was wondering is it possible to have 2 BB and just swap the sim card from one to another for whichever one I want to use? I currently have a non camera Tour due to work. But I like the Onyx that's coming out. Also I know Verizon doesn't carry the bold, so is there anyway to buy one and get it to work on verizons network?

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    08-27-09 02:50 PM
    It's not quite that simple. Swapping the SIM works fine for voice and SMS text, but you will not be connected to BIS, no email, messenger, Internet Browser and all third party applications that use data.

Changing your PIN on your BIS account will do the job. Some carriers allow you to maintain your own BIS, others require you make the change through their customer service.

08-27-09 02:58 PM
    That kinda sounds like it sucks so everytime I'd swap phones I'd prob have to call customer service. So there's no way to set up both phones?

08-27-09 03:03 PM
    Also, the Bold will not work on Verizon. ATT is GSM, Verizon is CDMA. Never the twain shall be compatible.

@Reed - in the scenario you posed above, what happens to BBM? I'd presume it's PIN-based and works regardless of SIM or carrier, right?

08-27-09 03:04 PM
    That kinda sounds like it sucks so everytime I'd swap phones I'd prob have to call customer service. So there's no way to set up both phones?

When you switch CDMA phones that require an ESN change, yes you have
    to call. I think you can do that only 3 times within a billing cycle on Verizon.

I've used a Bold and 8900 on AT&T and since they use sim cards, I've simply
    just switched the sim card, make a pin update on BIS, and that's that.
    08-27-09 03:06 PM
    Also, the Bold will not work on Verizon. ATT is GSM, Verizon is CDMA. Never the twain shall be compatible.

@Reed - in the scenario you posed above, what happens to BBM? I'd presume it's PIN-based and works regardless of SIM or carrier, right?

Check out this thread I posted in earlier.

http://forums.crackberry.com/f2/bbm-backup-303176/
    08-27-09 03:07 PM

Nope, all messenger contacts will be broken, unless the Switch Device Wizard is used, too.
    08-27-09 03:07 PM
    I just recently picked up my first BB and its a Tour. So I was wondering is it possible to have 2 BB and just swap the sim card from one to another for whichever one I want to use? I currently have a non camera Tour due to work. But I like the Onyx that's coming out. Also I know Verizon doesn't carry the bold, so is there anyway to buy one and get it to work on verizons network?

I would recommend you reading the BB101 Lecture Series as well as all the other How to and Tips type of threads here to get you more familiar with BB's and your device. Also I would check out the GSM vs. CDMA threads as well to get familiar with the differences in networks. Search here and google.

Good Luck, Welcome, and Happy Learning!
    08-27-09 03:20 PM
    @Reed, @forever29 - thanks. All my experience has been CDMA and I wasn't sure how that worked with SIM cards.

08-27-09 05:09 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD