I have read too many threads that seem to go nowhere. Whining, complaining, etc. Thus, I have been inspired.

First of all, why are so many posters talking about market share? This is only relevant information, as far as this forum is concerned, if you are a RIM employee, or if the company starts to tank and you're a die hard BlackBerry fan. So many of you have pointed out that RIM is holding strong. Just look at the 8330 for evidence of this.

Several people have displayed their irritation, caused by the supposed lack of powerful, enticing new phones offered by RIM. Agreed, the phones released by RIM, over the last year, have been quite similar in looks and hardware. They also could be faster and more geared to the "now" generation. Of course, we cannot forget the business and government sectors, right? RIM is trying to balance both worlds. Many enjoy the BlackBerry phones because RIM is an established company, in the mobile world, giving peace of mind for the consumer. Many are drawn to the phones strictly for the layout and quality physical keyboards. Some love the incredible security BlackBerry phones boast.

The average consumer will buy a BlackBerry for its basic functions. Keep in mind though, RIM is developing flash, webkit browser, OS upgrades (OS 5 and the rumor of 6.0), and all of the hardware upgrades as well (even if the progress is slow). These additions are in the works. The complaints I have read, regarding this matter, only show how much we are the "now" generation.

Getting back to the "issue" of too many similar phones, I have an opinion that will now be shared. BlackBerry phones are available through most, if not all carriers. Sounds a bit of a waste to have so many similar phones, huh? Well, how about this... Since GSM and CDMA are not so interchangeable, RIM takes its mold for their proven few models, and creates a large selection of BlackBerry models. For instance, the Tour for CDMA has a near equal in the BOLD for GSM. Two phones that, especially after the release of Essex, are nearly the same, minor changes and different names. BUT, not everyone needs, or can afford to buy, one of those higher end phones. Enter the 85XX series. Cheaper and on a diet. Less functionality, but still a BlackBerry. My point is, RIM has focused on the average consumer and made many models so that you and I (the consumers), would have options, no matter what network we are on. The iPhone offers different models, but currently are restricted to one network. Even if Verizon gets the iPhone, that's still only 2 carriers. Advantage, RIM. Remember the wheel BlackBerry phones used to have? Yeah, they've come a long way, we are in the midst of change, just be patient.

If you don't agree with me, I say, good for you. We all have opinions, you're free to have one too.
    03-28-10 12:44 AM
    you tell em! nice read!
    03-28-10 12:49 AM
    I agree.

I'm sick and tired of everyone wanting the blackberry to be similar to the iphone or the evo or whatever crap that's coming out. If the blackberry had all those features and plus some, it wouldn't be a blackberry in the first place. If you arent happy with RIM phones, just find one that you wont complain about.
    Last edited by xseri; 03-28-10 at 12:59 AM.
    03-28-10 12:52 AM
    Thats life...deal with it...I'm happy.
    03-28-10 12:58 AM
    Why are people concerned about the iPhone in comparison to BlackBerry phones? This is like being upset that the kid next to you at lunch got more more hair in his spaghetti than you did.

You can insure a BlackBerry.
    You can install software from anywhere.
    RIM doesn't care if you use a Storm on AT&T.
    You can replace the battery without voiding the warranty.
    No other phone on AT&T drops calls even a tenth as often as the iPhones.
    RIM devices are simple for prosumers to repair, both in terms of software and hardware issues.
    If you speak to a RIM representative, they won't blindly transfer you back to your service provider just to be rid of you.
    I bet you thought this sentence would be longer than the one above it.
    03-28-10 01:09 AM
    You underestimate the iPhone and the effect on the market it would cause if it were available on VZ. If the iPhone were available on VZ, RIM's advantage of being on the Big Four wouldn't mean much. I am by no means an iPhone fanboi. Quite the opposite actually. But the success of the iPhone is undeniable. And that's while only being on one carrier. Of course there's the strong possibilty that Apple can turn out to be another one-trick-pony like it has before. (there was a good article in Business Week about that notion. Definitely worth a read).

But you're right. If consumers want more out of their phones than what RIM has to offer then they can't stop complaining and get one that they wish their BB was like. But hopefully RIM's business practices don't follow that kind of mentality. Before Android stepped on the scene I believe that RIM actually had a strong position to get a tighter grip on the consumer market and they were heading in that direction. Before Android there was "the iPhone". That was basically their phone to beat. But now Android has creeped in and stirred the pot. Android is providing that middle ground between functionality and fun & openness that people have been wanting. So while people are going to a phone they wish their bb's were like, it would be wise for RIM to listen to those people's complaints. As smartphones become more popular and the norm, people will want more from their phones as they evolve. The consumers are complaining and whining for what they want. If RIM doesn't give it to them then someone else will. And right now Google is in the lead for being the one to fill those shoes.

And sorry, xseri. I wouldnt be so quick to talk smack on the Evo. And if blackberry had all those features and more, then it would be a kick *** blackberry. Being simple and featureless is not what makes blackberry a blackberry.
    Last edited by skyys; 03-28-10 at 03:11 AM.
    03-28-10 03:01 AM
    you gotta read between the lines with some of the iphone ranters, one or two of them might be employees taking the opportunity to gloss over iphones misgivings by slating a 'rival' device... that they see BBs as rival devices is quite funny, actually, as they're completely different things.

i'm quite bemused at those who say RIM is stale with nothing new to offer - seems like the contrary to me. BBs appealing to a broader audiennce now, app world is open, which will fill up with more content, just like apple apps or nokias ovi store. ok some things are slower to arrive, but so what? being a BB n00b myself it looks like just the begining.

i'm kind of an apple fanboy myself but boy, are apple products & services overpriced & overhyped. especially like the posts above said, when you need something repairing.

i'm also among other people i've met who really like to go back to "something with keys".
    03-28-10 03:22 AM
    If I wanted an iPhone I would have gotten one long time ago. I choose a Blackberry because everything I want to do with my phone is just the way I want it on a Blackberry.

I'm a super texter and BBM is my favorite application. I'm a moderate emailer and the whole push thing is convenient because I don't have to go into my inbox to check for new emails. I don't have a favorite website so I'm a light surfer and the current browser on my blackberry works just fine for me. I don't play games at all so I removed world mole and brickbreaker from my phone to free up some memory.

The moral here is you should be happy and proud of your purchase decision. Which ever phone you choose to purchase, don't go home and make a cons list, instead see what your phone can do for you that would be beneficial to your lifestyle.
    03-28-10 04:06 AM
    Some people just need to realize that iPhones/Androids and BlackBerrys target different audiences. Not all smart phones need to go down the same path.
    03-28-10 04:10 AM
    I'm glad that Apple's out there. I may not want an iPhone myself (I tried one, it irked me), but Apple raised the bar for other manufacturers, and we all benefit.
    03-28-10 04:13 AM
    Well said, couldnt have done any better myself.
    03-28-10 06:42 AM
    Nice post. Couldn't agree more.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    03-28-10 07:24 AM
    Totally agree. If a Berry is not for you-dont buy it. Ive been using RIM products for over four years and am TOTALLY satisfied with my 9700.
    03-28-10 07:31 AM
    One of the best threads I have read on here! Not just a "rant" but well thought out and well said.
    03-28-10 07:40 AM
    Totally agree. If a Berry is not for you-dont buy it. Ive been using RIM products for over four years and am TOTALLY satisfied with my 9700.
    Perfectly said I love my bb it fits my lifestyle does what I need it to do when I want it to !!!!

03-28-10 07:42 AM
    I'm glad that Apple's out there. I may not want an iPhone myself (I tried one, it irked me), but Apple raised the bar for other manufacturers, and we all benefit.
    We have a winner!

Not everyone is gonna like a certain product, and there are gonna be those who's sole purpose for coming to a certain site is to tout what they have as being "better" than what someone else has. In my opinion, it's not better; it's what you like.

I've had a BlackBerry since 2006, and I have no intentions on going to any other phone. But, that's just me. Someone else might feel different.
    03-28-10 07:44 AM
    Well said!
    BlackBerry devices never had the best specs out there, but nevertheless they've managed to grab huge market share, millions of loyal customers and wonderful community like this. First and foremost, BlackBerry is a tool to get things done. It doesn't try to accomplish this task by having the best specs or the most features, but by having a few key features done right: best email, best calendar, best keyboard, good voice quality and long battery life. I hope RIM will keep this winning formula when expanding its devices and services portfolio.

03-28-10 10:37 AM
    Some people just need to realize that iPhones/Androids and BlackBerrys target different audiences. Not all smart phones need to go down the same path.
    Yep - exactly.
    03-28-10 10:44 AM
    I went for a short time to Windows Mobile and within two months was back with BlackBerry. For me, the most mundane things are what matter most: the ability to copy/paste between different apps, the ability to download images from the Web browser, etc. This couldn't easily be done in WinMo the way it can on BlackBerry.
    03-28-10 11:17 AM
    I went for a short time to Windows Mobile and within two months was back with BlackBerry. For me, the most mundane things are what matter most: the ability to copy/paste between different apps, the ability to download images from the Web browser, etc. This couldn't easily be done in WinMo the way it can on BlackBerry.
    Exactly. We own BlackBerry phones for a reason. More would be nice, but what I have is perfect for me.

For many though, its like buying a plastic cup, then expecting Solo (for example) to come out with decorative glass cups because everyone else has them. Hmmm... I don't follow that logic.

I'm glad so many of you feel me on this subject. I would love to see more supportive BlackBerry threads, none of this bashing and complaining. Hundreds of you have said, "If you're not happy with your phone, try a different one!" Yet, the complaints continue. That's like saying, "I'm fat, but I'd rather just complain about it instead of exercising." I guess this is the American way huh?
    03-28-10 11:48 AM
    And sorry, xseri. I wouldnt be so quick to talk smack on the Evo. And if blackberry had all those features and more, then it would be a kick *** blackberry. Being simple and featureless is not what makes blackberry a blackberry.
    First of all, I wasn't talking smack about the EVO. It's a good phone for those who are looking for those specs, however its not something I want in my blackberry. I chose a blackberry for its messaging, device size and feature for what it is, if I wanted an all out entertainment phone I would of kept my iphone which I dropped for a blackberry.

Yes RIM can spruce up some spec options, (i.e more memory, better os) but to make phones similar to that of phones coming out of htc or apple, I personally wouldnt buy it.
    03-28-10 12:40 PM
    The bolded part is KEY to this whole debate. Like it or not, Apple changed the game. What did we have before the iphone? A treo, some underpowered clunky HTC phones like the 6600 and 6700, and basic BBs with trackwheels. The iphone TOTALLY changed the cellphone game as we know it.

Post iphone look what we have now- WebOS, Android, Storm, EVO, HD2. NONE of these phones likely would have been what they are with high specs without the iphone coming onto the market.

You can like or hate the iphone, thats not the issue. The truth is the iphone changed the game as we know it and caused manufacturers to step up and VERY quickly up their tech.

It can only help everyone when companies compete and innovate.

And I TRULY believe if a BB like an EVO/HD2/Droid came out people on Crackberry would be screaming "OMFG ITS THE BEST BB EVER, RIM RULES!" No one would be complaining that RIM stepped up their game 10 fold and offered a great phone.

But its much easier to be blindly complacent then accept the truth around here it seems instead of demanding more for the manufacturer(s). You might be happy with what you have now, but how exactly do you know you wouldnt be even happier with something even better? You dont until it exists and you have the opportunity to try it.
    Last edited by stuaw11; 03-28-10 at 01:53 PM.
    03-28-10 01:50 PM
    When I think about it, what's keeping RIM from going in both directions?

They could come out with one of those ultra consumer oriented-entertainment type phones, and still stay on course with its more traditional BB's. You know, something that grabs a whole different part of the market, the portion that prefers the Droids, iPhones, etc. I think they should do it, be as greedy going after the consumers as possible. And still keep a hold on the business market with its current line-up.

Personally, I love my BB. Just need a couple of things, and it'd be the perfect phone for me. BlackBerry has always been the "cool" phone to me...
    03-28-10 04:36 PM
    When I th"ink about it, what's keeping RIM from going in both directions?

They could come out with one of those ultra consumer oriented-entertainment type phones, and still stay on course with its more traditional BB's. You know, something that grabs a whole different part of the market, the portion that prefers the Droids, iPhones, etc. I think they should do it, be as greedy going after the consumers as possible. And still keep a hold on the business market with its current line-up.

Personally, I love my BB. Just need a couple of things, and it'd be the perfect phone for me. BlackBerry has always been the "cool" phone to me...
    When you are talking about the "ultra consumer oriented-entertainment type phones" you're talking about the Storm series for high end and now the 85xx for the low end consumer.
    03-28-10 06:22 PM
    RIM IS trying to get the consumer market if they weren't the storm line wouldve never been produced. They just got lazy and put a old OS and added a touchscreen feature to it instead of developing a brand new OS that can take advantage of the new hardware. Consumers are complaining because RIM with their marketshare and revenue can produce a better product than the storm.
    The storm 2 shouldve been the storm 1 but what happen when it released? The droid totally blew the storm 2 away in specs, memory, and features. Storm 2 was completely forgotten while the droid got gadget of the year and put android on the map.

03-28-10 07:59 PM
33 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD