What reasons are there (I have no clue about this) for not being able to port BB10 to other devices? Ubuntu is planning to be a to port their phone OS to other phones. Ubuntu can be installed on Windows machines. What is involved in porting BB10 to other phones or tablets?

I ask this as (I am sorry to say this) my Playbook, even though I do fresh installs, is becoming slower and more problematic with doing tasks for my work. It is almost easier to work on my Z10. I still use my Playbook daily, more for web browsing (slower than my Z10) and ebook reading, where downloads and browsing the library are becoming more difficult - I use overdrive.

Just wondering - need to do a hardware update and do not see BB giving us any idea where it is going, except in some very general terms.
    02-12-14 10:57 AM
    PlayBooks Bootloader (think BIOS) is locked for security reasons to prevent other OS or malicious software from installing. There is a way to install a developer version of BB10 on the PlayBook, it isn't pretty and it doesn't work well.... so forget it.

Without a BlackBerry Bootloader, BB10 will not install on any other devcie.... it is a security feature.
    02-12-14 11:03 AM
    Not referring to the Playbook. What about porting BB10 to a Nexus or Surface tablet?
    02-12-14 11:50 AM
    Android and Ubuntu (and Linux in general) are open-source, meaning the source code for the programming is publicly available for anyone to use and modify. Open-source is the EXCEPTION, not the norm, and BB10 is NOT open-source software. No version of Windows, MacOS, iOS, PalmOS, and many other popular OSs were ever open-source, so unless their owners port them to other platforms, it isn't possible to do so.

Likewise, most apps are not open-source, and while a few "big" apps/services have comprehensive public APIs available (Twitter is a good example), most do not, which is why third-party companies can't just write their own apps for another company's service. Many people have asked why BB doesn't simply write BB10 versions of popular apps (InstaGram, Netflix, etc.), and this is why.
    02-12-14 01:38 PM