I've been looking everywhere and can't figure out what the POP3 check intervals via BIS are. Sometimes emails sent to my POP3 account take 1 minute to reach the BB and other times it takes 10.

Is there any way to, like you can do any other email client, set a specific interval?

Thanks.
    05-20-08 02:10 PM
    The check interval is around 15 minutes unless you are active on the server, meaning reply to messages. then the check interval decreases. The POP check is done by the servers at RIM NOT by the blackberry hence the PUSH.
    05-20-08 02:24 PM
    Thanks. After posting that I looked at my email settings on BIS and it's actually IMAP, not POP. Checked with my web hosting company and they said they support that automatically. So, shouldn't that speed things up or is there no correlation?
    05-20-08 02:38 PM
    The thing with the intervals is that it is based on YOUR hosts server refresh time. In other words, if you have a cable company (Comcast, Cox, Charter, etc) email acount then it is up to them as to when they refresh their server. Thus, pushing emails out to the device.

Most companies try to keep the time 15 min & under as to appeal more to "real-time" than so...

This does not apply to every email account/host, but does effect some. RIM can ultimately resolve the issue on their end, but will most likely leave as is.
    05-20-08 05:06 PM
    Thanks. After posting that I looked at my email settings on BIS and it's actually IMAP, not POP. Checked with my web hosting company and they said they support that automatically. So, shouldn't that speed things up or is there no correlation?
    Correct me if I'm wrong, but we should be using POP instead of IMAP for better speed? VZW advises such via the telephone, but I'd hate to take their word for it so I'm asking the real experts here.
    05-20-08 05:10 PM
    My web host's server is super fast. Gmail to the webmail interface (squirrel mail) is a minute or less.

So here's an odd one. I setup a [email protected] account, and told my web server to forward all emails to it. Emails sent from Gmail or Yahoo to my me@mydomain account immediately hit the BB account on the phone, then show up 5-10 minutes later on the IMAP account for the same address.

Why?

Apparently, from what I can tell (and have read elsewhere since posting the first message here) is that the blackberry.net account is pretty much constantly polling my domain's web server and pushing the email out right away.

This is good, but also means I get the same email twice... I might just go ahead and remove the me@mydomain account from the phone and rely on the forwarding through blackberry.net. Anybody else do this?
    Last edited by kwsmithphoto; 05-20-08 at 05:27 PM.
    05-20-08 05:25 PM
    Correct me if I'm wrong, but we should be using POP instead of IMAP for better speed? VZW advises such via the telephone, but I'd hate to take their word for it so I'm asking the real experts here.
    That may be true but I don't use my Verizon.net address. I'm not even sure what it is, to tell you the truth!
    05-20-08 05:26 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD