Take your SIM card out of your 9700. Boot the phone up. Network will say SOS. Turn on WIFI. Open browser. Start surfing. BLAZING FAST INTERNET using the stock hotspot browser. When I try this with my SIM card in, and 3G and WIFI connected, it is not as fast. I do like how I can use wifi on my phone even if I don't have a SIM card in.
    12-12-09 05:59 PM
    what about with sim card in but mobile network switched off?

the way you are doing it there is the way i am using my 9000 at the moment.
    12-12-09 06:02 PM
    doh -- i didn't even think of that. ya, same thing if you just turn the mobile network off rather than take the sim card out...blazing fast with wifi-only. i can click one of my bookmarks, click on links, etc, and it will load literally instantly. but with 3g + wifi on, it is still fast, but not AS fast..
    12-12-09 06:07 PM
    Since I can only get EDGE at the office I turn the wireless off and use WiFi and also make calls with TMO UMA. It rocks.

Did the same thing on a flight to Vegas last week as well. Thought the flight attendants were going to freak when they saw my phone. LOL
    Which airline has wifi? Is it free if you fly with them?

Side Note: I used to live in Lewisville when I went to UNT.
    12-12-09 06:12 PM

As far as I know, American Airline has WiFi on board in quite few of thier flights. It is not free unless you fly international first class.
    12-12-09 06:16 PM
    Fascinating.

Hey, could you do some speed tests using either the xtreme app or mobilespeedtest.com both with and without your 3G on, then log them on the site where I've been collecting speed test results?

(It'd be great if you could put a note in the comments indicating which is which.)

It would be interesting to have side-by-side comparisons, different carriers, etc.
    12-13-09 02:39 PM

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    Last edited by Teek; 12-13-09 at 02:51 PM.
    12-13-09 02:47 PM
    You don't even have to turn off mobile network just select wi-fi prefered under network settings. This is why I just run wifi/uma calling at home and as soon as I leave home I just turn off wifi with quicklaunch to save batt.
    12-13-09 05:30 PM

Virgin America has wifi -- they had a free promo around the time we went to LA for Breeders Cup.
    12-13-09 05:34 PM
    doh -- i didn't even think of that. ya, same thing if you just turn the mobile network off rather than take the sim card out...blazing fast with wifi-only. i can click one of my bookmarks, click on links, etc, and it will load literally instantly. but with 3g + wifi on, it is still fast, but not AS fast..
    When you have the Mobile Network set to on, although Wifi is also on, you are routed through your carriers proxies. Hence the difference in speed when using your ISP instead of the carrier.
    12-13-09 05:43 PM
    Sorry but I don't see any difference. My WiFi connection seems the same with or without the sim card or with or without the mobile network on or off.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    12-13-09 06:23 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD