Dear All,

I am looking to buy a blackberry phone (preferably having OS 7) on which I can use

- 24x7 email use (supports attachments) --> MOST IMPORTANT
    - document viewer
    - 24x7 google talk
    - 24x7 Microsoft Communicator/Lync
    - Google/Blackberry Maps when required
    - Facebook, youtube
    - Occasional Internet Browsing

I dont care about the price if the phone has a decent battery life at least 24 hours.

Please help people, I am really confused. Thanks in advance.

Best Regards,
    Ankur
    02-03-12 03:29 PM
    I would suggest the Blackberry Bold 9900. Thats what I have ordered myself and after researching all the phones out there including Iphone and Android. I was thinking of leaving BB and going to Iphone 4S but I am sold on the Bold 9900 I had a Bold 9700 and when the Torch 9800 came out I switched to it and I wish I never did. My old Bold rocked than and the NEW BOLD 9900 will rock

Hope this helps. Let me know what you get.

Don't wait for a BB10 they are still quite aways away on release and let them get the bug out first
    02-03-12 03:56 PM
    Based on your stated requirements the BlackBerry Bold 9900 should be the smartphone you buy. If you intend to upgrade to a smartphone within the next 6-12 months running BBX (BB10) or whatever the idiots in Waterloo finally call the next generation BlackBerry smartphone OS, buy the BB9900 outright without contract so you can get the newest smartphone, presumably with a physical keyboard, when released.
    02-03-12 04:33 PM
    Bold 99xx all the way. And order an extra battery while you're at it. Never hurts.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9850 using Tapatalk
    02-03-12 04:35 PM
    I would suggest the Bold 9900 paired with a PlayBook 16g for $199 all providing your budget allows. Battery life is hard to gauge and is heavily based on you usage.
    02-03-12 05:02 PM
    The blackberry 9900 is the way to go or just get the 9810
    02-03-12 05:07 PM
    Dear All,

I am looking to buy a blackberry phone (preferably having OS 7) on which I can use

- document viewer

- 24x7 google talk
    - Facebook, youtube

I dont care about the price if the phone has a decent battery life at least 24 hours.

Best Regards,
    Ankur
    Could you elaborate a bit on the bolded points? What do you mean by "support attachments?" That may be a problem....BB has a limit as to the size of attachments. Consequently, your second bullet may also be a problem.
    02-03-12 05:17 PM
    Could you elaborate a bit on the bolded points? What do you mean by "support attachments?" That may be a problem....BB has a limit as to the size of attachments. Consequently, your second bullet may also be a problem.

Specifically you would need to make sure attachments you receive are 8mb or less for the latest version of BIS I believe.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9850 using Tapatalk
    02-03-12 05:35 PM
    I suggest the newest BB Curve, I understand you're not concerned with pricing but its cheaper than the 9900. The screen and phone itself is a little bigger than the bold but I believe the processor is slightly slower. I suggest it because you stated you want at least 24 hours battery life and a slower processor will do just that without the loss of normal BB functionality. Good luck!

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk
    02-03-12 08:15 PM
    i might be reading this wrong but what it sounds like is your main issue is with a provider not a phone. needing to email 24/7, needing maps, Google talk... this are all things that relay on the service provider not necessarily the phone itself. from what Ive heard from everyone the 99xx is a great phone, still stuck in CDMA land up here, and i would definitely say go for it but it does look like your core issues are with your provider.
    02-03-12 08:41 PM
    Dear All,

- document viewer
    - 24x7 google talk
    - Facebook, youtube

Best Regards,
    Ankur
    I would recommend the 9900/9930 since email is your primary concearn.

If a larger screen is important than the 9860/9850 would be my choice.

Between those two its a descision between a physical keypad and screen size.

What I don't recommend is a 9810. Both the Keypad and Screen size are lesser. Its heavy and cumbersome, the keypad is hard to use as compared to the 99XX series because the cradle is curved, the physical keypad cannot be used in landscape mode, landscape mode will be your viewing method of choice, the on-screen keypad is smaller than the 9860/9850, the 9900/9930 physical keypad is used with the landscape screen without tilting the phone. Pretty much the entire design is compromised so they could have the touch screen and the physical keypad.

No offense to 9810 owners, my Wife has one, and if the keypad had not been compromised with the curved design than the slightly bigger screen might be a drawing point.

If price is not an issue than why consider a lesser model like the curve?

The 9790 is an option but its just a watered down 9900. Lesser build quality, lesser keypad, lesser screen, cheap plastic clam-shell design the curve uses, but it is a bit smaller.
    Last edited by olblueyez; 02-03-12 at 09:20 PM.
    02-03-12 09:17 PM
    I would recommend the 9900/9930 since email is your primary concearn.

If a larger screen is important than the 9860/9850 would be my choice.

Between those two its a descision between a physical keypad and screen size.

What I don't recommend is a 9810. Both the Keypad and Screen size are lesser. Its heavy and cumbersome, the keypad is hard to use as compared to the 99XX series because the cradle is curved, the physical keypad cannot be used in landscape mode, landscape mode will be your viewing method of choice, the on-screen keypad is smaller than the 9860/9850, the 9900/9930 physical keypad is used with the landscape screen without tilting the phone. Pretty much the entire design is compromised so they could have the touch screen and the physical keypad.

No offense to 9810 owners, my Wife has one, and if the keypad had not been compromised with the curved design than the slightly bigger screen might be a drawing point.

If price is not an issue than why consider a lesser model like the curve?

The 9790 is an option but its just a watered down 9900. Lesser build quality, lesser keypad, lesser screen, cheap plastic clam-shell design the curve uses, but it is a bit smaller.
    its funny, i find the opposite to almost everyone of these, where you see a half-baked device, i find a well balanced device, which could be better (as every other BB) that brings a great experience to BB.
    02-03-12 09:57 PM
    I think the 9900/30 Bold is the finest BlackBerry available today. I also agree with those who recommend the Torch 9850/60. I personally prefer the flawless keypad of the Bold but the all touch Torch has that nice big screen for great web browsing and video. Either way, you get a great phone that will suit your purposes.
    02-03-12 10:53 PM
    I would recommend if you're on a budget look into the Curve series. Great compact form factor, not heavy in the least, physical keyboard or all touch model(really like the latter) and almost half the price of a comparable Torch or Bold(9900)
    02-04-12 12:35 AM
    Torch 9850 all the way baby! Great screen for video and fast browser.
    02-04-12 06:11 AM
    Will any of the current OS 7 phones be upgradeable to OS 10 when it released?
    I am looking to buy a BB phone soon to go with my PB. Several carriers reps I have talked to recommend forgetting BB and to go with Android or iphone because they are "easier to use". At this point the media ad hype is trying to influence the same.
    I don't want to make a mistake because this may be the last smart phone I ever buy.

Thanks for any comments.
    02-04-12 07:49 AM
    9810 has bigger touch screen for easy email attachment reading, as fast as bold 9900 i.e. 14.4Mb/s hsdpa with proven os 7.1 leak to run wifi hotspot.

Actually 9810 is a favorite in Asia because Asian has small hands that fit nicely to 9810. So, if you have small hands it is a good choice. if yours big then 9900 is the vest choice.

All of your requirements are met by bbos7.
    02-04-12 08:14 AM
    If you do a lot of 'keyboarding' the Bold 9900 might be the way to go

If you 'walk the line' between media/entertainment and emailing/texting then the 9810 or 9860 would be the way to go
    02-04-12 08:17 AM
    its funny, i find the opposite to almost everyone of these, where you see a half-baked device, i find a well balanced device, which could be better (as every other BB) that brings a great experience to BB.
    Try typing a bunch of numbers with the physical keypad sometime.

Or see how quickly you can reach the trackpad from the keypad.

Try opening the slider with one hand.

Try typing on the physical keypad when viewing in Landscape.

Try typing on the physical keypad with the charger plugged in.

Try holding it in landscape mode and see how well the rounded sides of the phone sit on your rounded fingers.

The 9860 is a much nicer Touch Screen Phone with the biggest screen available on a Blackberry.

The 9900 eliminates all the ergonomic problems that become annoying real quick. It has a much nicer keypad, no on-screen keypad because the screen sits in landscape mode right above the keypad.

If anyone wants to know what typing on a 9810 is like than turn a 9900 on its side and look at the screen. Why would you want that?
    02-05-12 01:45 AM
    I am looking to buy a BB phone soon to go with my PB. Several carriers reps I have talked to recommend forgetting BB and to go with Android or iphone because they are "easier to use". At this point the media ad hype is trying to influence the same.
    I don't want to make a mistake because this may be the last smart phone I ever buy.

Thanks for any comments.
    AFAIK, no current phones running OS 7 can be upgraded to BBX. So if you can wait a few month before buying, wait for the BBX phones.
    02-05-12 04:36 AM

Thanks for any comments.
    There are plenty of threads here explaining the reasons why store Reps. like to push Android and iOS unto consumers. But to summarize: Some of Rim's technologies do go against the profit making strategies of carriers.
    As someone else pointed out:
    1. Bridge - stealing data from your phone to use on the PB = bad for carriers, good for consumers.
    2. Data compression - BB users are less likely to go over their data limits = bad for carriers, good for consumers.
    3. BBM - BBM users are less likely to go over their monthly text allowance = bad for carriers, good for consumers.
    Last edited by Blkacesvf41; 02-05-12 at 06:14 AM.
    azrin640 and black-dash like this.
    02-05-12 06:07 AM
    Try typing a bunch of numbers with the physical keypad sometime.

Or see how quickly you can reach the trackpad from the keypad.

Try opening the slider with one hand.

Try typing on the physical keypad when viewing in Landscape.

Try typing on the physical keypad with the charger plugged in.

Try holding it in landscape mode and see how well the rounded sides of the phone sit on your rounded fingers.

The 9860 is a much nicer Touch Screen Phone with the biggest screen available on a Blackberry.

The 9900 eliminates all the ergonomic problems that become annoying real quick. It has a much nicer keypad, no on-screen keypad because the screen sits in landscape mode right above the keypad.

If anyone wants to know what typing on a 9810 is like than turn a 9900 on its side and look at the screen. Why would you want that?

Typing on the 9800/9810 is great. I find I can't type fast as I hit neighbouring keys but it's still good
    02-05-12 06:29 PM
    Typing on the 9800/9810 is great. I find I can't type fast as I hit neighbouring keys but it's still good
    Sorry, couldn't resist.

I know the 9810 is a good device, my Wife has one and I enjoy using it. The OP asked for a recommendation and "Email" was at the top of the list, for this reason, I had to recommend the 9900/9930/9860/9850 because I think typing on a real keypad or a "larger" virtual keypad would be the best options. Mainly for the reason you mentioned where the 9810/9800 keypad cradle crowds the keypad and makes it hard to type.

I also wanted the OP to realize the slide out keypad on the 9810/9800 is useless when holding the phone sideways for landscape viewing, which happens more often (For Me) than not.
    Last edited by olblueyez; 02-05-12 at 06:52 PM.
    02-05-12 06:33 PM
    Like I tell everyone who can't decide on a device, it would be best recommended that you try every single one in the store of your carrier or another carriers until you can make a final decision. Having others make decisions for you is never a good thing. Think for yourself.
    02-05-12 06:34 PM
    Like I tell everyone who can't decide on a device, it would be best recommended that you try every single one in the store of your carrier or another carriers until you can make a final decision. Having others make decisions for you is never a good thing. Think for yourself.
    Right, and if you have a trial period available, by all means, use it! I have returned phones that didn't work out before. That's how my Wife ended up with a 9810, she originaly bought the iCrap and couldn't use it with her long nails so I swapped it out a few days after she got it.
    02-05-12 06:55 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD