A co-worker and I are in disagreement about Blackberry's. I say you can not BBM someone who has a BB but no data plan. He states that you can, through RIM? The person he is in question about has ATT service.
    10-24-09 11:02 AM
    You are correct. BBM doesn't work without a data plan.
    10-24-09 11:05 AM
    YEEEEEEEESSSSSSSSS! I love being right, especially to him. lol thanks for the quick answer.
    10-24-09 11:06 AM
    some carriers offer an email/IM plan, which isn't a data plan per se but gives you BIS functionality so you can use email and BBM. But yeah you need some kind of BIS access to use BBM.
    10-24-09 02:24 PM
    I don't believe Verizon will activate your BB without a data plan.
    10-24-09 02:25 PM
    You can send them all day but they ain't gettin 'em.
    10-24-09 02:25 PM
    I don't think any of the CDMA carriers will.
    10-24-09 02:37 PM
    Correct, at this point I dont believe you can buy one on ANY carrier without the BB data plan

You can send them all day but they ain't gettin 'em.
    You wont be able to even get them as a BBM Contact, the request will never go through
    10-24-09 02:38 PM
    You wont be able to even get them as a BBM Contact, the request will never go through
    That's true. Got ahead of myself.
    10-24-09 02:46 PM
    Correct, at this point I dont believe you can buy one on ANY carrier without the BB data plan
    Except on T-Mobile I believe
    10-24-09 02:51 PM
    You need data CAPABILITY; not necessarily a data plan. Some providers will set it up in a pay-per-use way if you don't have a data plan. I am not aware of any carriers that do this any more for blackberries. In the US it's pretty difficult if not impossible to get a blackberry without a data plan. If you don't have a data plan your data service doesn't work.
    10-24-09 02:55 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD