map could you please use the search before doing that
    01-26-09 04:34 PM
    I'm a prophet.
    That you are
    01-26-09 05:10 PM
    map could you please use the search before doing that
    No kidding, jeesh.
    01-26-09 05:48 PM
    Every forum in the history of the internet has had repeat posts. The reason people show up here is for guidance and sometimes they're going to post horrible topics and vague threads whose questions have been asked many times before and whose answers are in giant, bold, blinking type at the top of the page.

Getting aggravated by it doesn't help anyone and isn't going to solve the issue.
    The issue the OP is addressing isn't really repeat posts. They are inevitable and, anyway, this is a forum and not an archive. It's okay to ask another version of a question already asked. And it's nice to talk to people when you are in the middle of a problem. A forum is about people. And the people here are good people.

BUT - it would be nice if people would check at least the last few pages before posting a question.

AND - the OP is trying to help the whole community and clarify what is and isn't a good thread title. So saying "just don't open it if you don't like the title" isn't helping the community. There is nothing wrong with making a fair suggestion: use a thread title that contains some clear indication of the question. That's all. It's good for everyone.
    01-26-09 06:21 PM
    The issue the OP is addressing isn't really repeat posts. They are inevitable and, anyway, this is a forum and not an archive. It's okay to ask another version of a question already asked. And it's nice to talk to people when you are in the middle of a problem. A forum is about people. And the people here are good people.

BUT - it would be nice if people would check at least the last few pages before posting a question.

AND - the OP is trying to help the whole community and clarify what is and isn't a good thread title. So saying "just don't open it if you don't like the title" isn't helping the community. There is nothing wrong with making a fair suggestion: use a thread title that contains some clear indication of the question. That's all. It's good for everyone.
    I always expect a reasonable from KareBare lol
    01-26-09 06:22 PM
    I couldn't agree more with this thread.
    Glad this was said.
    01-26-09 06:25 PM
    I always expect a reasonable from KareBare lol
    You makin fun of me Poe???

Kidding. Didn't know I had a rep.
    01-26-09 06:35 PM
    You makin fun of me Poe???

Kidding. Didn't know I had a rep.
    I will stop repping then lol
    01-26-09 06:53 PM
    01-26-09 07:11 PM

Amen! It was a fair reminder.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    01-26-09 08:08 PM
    I'm curious... When a thread moves on to page 2 or 3, and then someone replies to that thread, does it move to the top of the page that it's on, or the top of the 1st page?

I've moderated a few forums before I joined here and I have to say that this community is so big that threads move off the first page within hours after they were posted.

I do agree with OP the thread titles don't really help the forum flow, but then again some people are just inexperienced and do not know any better.

Another way to clear up the clutter, IMO, is to stop bombarding this forum with ninja Bold threads. We can all appreciate this topic, but it's really pointless to see the exact same result with every post. Make a sticky at the top for users to "show off" their Bold customizations and to share tips and tricks on installation procedures.

But regardless of how much we try to educate people on forum posting etiquette, you'll never stop repeat topics, pointless threads, and/or inadaquate post titles. The only real defense is to self-filter your forum experience.
    01-27-09 06:53 AM
    Wowzers! I had a moment of frustration yesterday and made a quick post. Glad to see some people agree.

I think the only thing needed is for CB to have a note posted above where you enter a new thread that advises people how to post a thread topic.

Map's comment was good.
    01-27-09 08:20 AM
    I completely agree with kneeman and others on this ..
    01-27-09 08:29 AM
    I'm curious... When a thread moves on to page 2 or 3, and then someone replies to that thread, does it move to the top of the page that it's on, or the top of the 1st page?
    Goes to the top of the first page. That's why it's a good idea to go back a few pages and have a look around. Everyone benefits from the added question, comment or clarification to an established thread.
    01-27-09 09:06 AM

Getting aggravated by it doesn't help anyone and isn't going to solve the issue. So, again, if you're (the OP, the last 10 posters, whomever) tired of clicking on the vaguely titled help threads only to be met with a repeat question then, quite simply, don't. Try just providing answers for the threads with informational topics and maybe the people with threads like "omg halp lololol" will get a clue when they have no responses and repost or maybe they'll even use the search function.
    Now that I think about this I know I've tried not to even respond once I click into the post. But I think what happens is my nice side comes out. Like I think to myself "Okay Mike. It's an easy question and just help the poor person out. Not everyone can be like you." LOL

I don't know, I can rant about this but when it comes down to it I guess I can't be intentionally mean
    01-27-09 12:52 PM
    This is such a losing battle. Most of the people who posted in this
    thread get it. Those who don't wont read it. And the person that
    shows up with an issue is only interested in resolving it, not
    in reading the posting rules. This is tantamount to preaching to
    the choir.
    01-27-09 04:21 PM
    This is such a losing battle. Most of the people who posted in this
    thread get it. Those who don't wont read it. And the person that
    shows up with an issue is only interested in resolving it, not
    in reading the posting rules. This is tantamount to preaching to
    the choir.
    Well put AG. I agree that a better title would do wonders for saving time for all of us. For me, I instantly go straight to the threads with messed up titles just to see which question is asked for the 30th time in ten minutes. But I help out everytime if I think I can help.
    01-27-09 04:53 PM
    Over the past quarter, BlackBerry has added a couple million new subscribers. That works out to 25,000 new owners, every day.

What do they all have in common? Day one with a BlackBerry.

What does that mean? Excitement, a whole new World of communications.

What happens when they have a question? Carrier customer service carries the bulk of the load. Likely the same half dozen questions, 10,000 times a day. Fortunately, that means response scripts and satisfied owners.

What about the 10% that do not use Customer Service? Simple, they use a search engine, that brings them to us. Roughly 2,500 new members daily.

Do they search? LOL, they did search, that is how they found us.

How do we respond? We welcome them all. We all share an enthusium for BlackBerry and most of us are thrilled to have the chance to interact with the new guys.

Do we mind? Heck NO. Every new post is a measure our our success. The vast majority of our members have seen the same questions and responses, many times. We all can be genusis.

Each of you carries the responsibility of representing the CrackBerry community. This is a very special place, we have a massive reach, far in excess of the next guy.

You are all ambassadors of our good will, you are all part of the CrackBerry community.

What about misleading thread titles? That a Mod job, we fix them as we find them. In the end, it adds to the knowledge base we all share.
    Last edited by Reed McLay; 01-27-09 at 07:46 PM.
    01-27-09 07:44 PM
    Well said Reed, i could not agree more...
    01-27-09 07:48 PM
    Wow, very well said Reed. An attitude we all need to adopt.
    01-27-09 07:50 PM
    Thanks Reed. You should make your post a sticky!
    01-27-09 08:03 PM
    Hey Reed not to go off-topic for too long but I wish I had your last name lol
    01-27-09 08:16 PM
    yeah like having Greg24 And poe1983 giving 300 1 sentence responds is really helping. what a bunch of A-Holes.But thanks Reed
    01-27-09 08:37 PM
    yeah like having Greg24 And poe1983 giving 300 1 sentence responds is really helping. what a bunch of A-Holes.But thanks Reed
    I don't mind being called that because I see it more as a compliment. But I suggest that you take a look at Greg and I's previous posts on previous threads. More so in the Bold section. I would dare to say that we are pretty helpful when it comes to helping people with problems that they're having. Granted, there are others on here who know way more than me. By far. No question about it. But sometimes all a question needs is a one sentence answer. Writing essays on here sometimes becomes pretty annoying and isn't required anyway.
    01-27-09 08:42 PM
    im just saying.. you know your right... to many people think that they are mods....i thank you for your help.
    01-27-09 08:50 PM
57 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD