I bought my wife a blackberry 9300 for valentines day, I know very little about them.

The wifi doesnt work, it says it is connected but the wifi icon remains grey..

Things that may help!!

It has an IP address
    The hostroute table is empty even after sending a message to register.

The wifi diagnostic tool says network acquired, ip address etc..but VPN profile not found

Mobile network diagnostic test says
    BB registration : No
    Connected to BB : Abort
    BB PIN :abort

The phone was on vodafone when purchased 2nd hand, i have unlocked it and put in a uk T-Mobile Sim card which gets a signal etc..

I also put my Orange sim card in which has a data plan on it, the internet works on my orange sim but again not through wifi.

I would appreciate any help getting this fixed as its not nice handing over a present that wont work!!
    02-12-11 07:34 AM
    Do you have a BLACKBERRY Data plan? Not just a generic internet data plan?

What type of router is it?
    02-12-11 09:29 AM
    No, no data plan on tmobile, other than that I have no idea what a BB data plan is so no to that to!
    02-12-11 09:34 AM
    Do you have a BLACKBERRY Data plan? Not just a generic internet data plan?

What type of router is it?
    Once again Mama, you are correct. You cannot simply place a T-Mobile SIM card in an unlocked BB and expect it to work. The reason you're having these issues is because you don't have a data plan with the service provider. Without the data plan, you cannot register the host routing table. Call your carrier and have them provision a BB data plan on the device and have the proper service books sent to the device as well. When you call your carrier they're going to ask you to provide the IMEI number so have that ready. Good luck.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    02-12-11 09:55 AM
    From my experience with OS 5 on my router, the icon always remains grey, with OS 6, it becomes white within 5 seconds.

I have been through alot of help on these forums with no luck.

Just wanted to point this out
    02-12-11 09:58 AM
    Si I have to pay for a data plan to use my own wireless internet at home...is that right?
    02-12-11 10:01 AM
    Not sure if i have v6??

v5.0.0.832 (Platform 6.3.0.31)
    02-12-11 10:01 AM
    Not sure if i have v6??

v5.0.0.832 (Platform 6.3.0.31)
    Thats OS 5, but if you are not familiar with upgrading an OS, then I don't recommend you to do it yet.
    02-12-11 10:18 AM
    From my experience with OS 5 on my router, the icon always remains grey, with OS 6, it becomes white within 5 seconds.

I have been through alot of help on these forums with no luck.

Just wanted to point this out
    ML, i have to agree with you, when I was using OS 5, I had major problems connecting to my wireless router. Not sure if that was an OS issue. (See I can play nice)

Si I have to pay for a data plan to use my own wireless internet at home...is that right?
    Yes and no...you should be able to coonect to the wireless internet via your home router, however you will be limited to internet access only and cannot use other features such as BBM, email or other features that rely on a BB data plan.

I recall having similar issues when I was using OS 5, which by the way is what you are using. It's as if the router and BB fail to comuniate and recognize the other. Some of may it may be security settings on the wirelesss router. For example if you have to enter a WEP code and then you have WPA and WPA2. Check all your settings and report back, we'll try to get you fixed up and running.
    02-12-11 10:20 AM
    I was told upgrading may help. Using the DM, it wont let me update it as I dont have a BB plan. So I downloaded the OS6 file and tried to upgrade using the apploader. Trouble is that doesnt seel to find the OS file, just Messenger and one other app.

I deleted a file that i read you had to aswell....but it still doesnt seem to do anytrhing!
    02-12-11 10:21 AM
    I was told upgrading may help. Using the DM, it wont let me update it as I dont have a BB plan. So I downloaded the OS6 file and tried to upgrade using the apploader. Trouble is that doesnt seel to find the OS file, just Messenger and one other app.

I deleted a file that i read you had to aswell....but it still doesnt seem to do anytrhing!
    A BB data plan is not needed to upgrade the OS.

How to Install or Upgrade to a New RIM BlackBerry Operating System (OS) with AppLoader | CrackBerry.com
    02-12-11 10:24 AM
    ML, i have to agree with you, when I was using OS 5, I had major problems connecting to my wireless router. Not sure if that was an OS issue. (See I can play nice)

Yes and no...you should be able to coonect to the wireless internet via your home router, however you will be limited to internet access only and cannot use other features such as BBM, email or other features that rely on a BB data plan.

I recall having similar issues when I was using OS 5, which by the way is what you are using. It's as if the router and BB fail to comuniate and recognize the other. Some of may it may be security settings on the wirelesss router. For example if you have to enter a WEP code and then you have WPA and WPA2. Check all your settings and report back, we'll try to get you fixed up and running.
    For the purposes of trying to get it to work I turned all security off. It does seem to be connected to the router but doesnt let me open a web page.
    02-12-11 10:29 AM
    Thats what I have done, apart from when the apploader runs, i get past the pin page and checking the phone...then get shown Blackberry Appworld and Windows Live messenger. THe OS6 files as shown in the picture of that link do not appear.

The os6 file I have is : 9300Asia_v6.0.0.380_P6.6.0.86

EDIT : Wiped it with BBSAK, now its found OS 6 and currently upgrading...(hopefully!!)
    Last edited by Sizer; 02-12-11 at 10:59 AM.
    02-12-11 10:31 AM
    OK, update was successful, wifi now works!!

Brilliant and thanks to all that helped out!
    02-12-11 11:12 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD