1. lmara2's Avatar
    hello everyone
    i broke up with my boyfriend last night and i'm a complete mess, and may have killed my blackberry today so i would really appreciate some advice...

    i knocked over a glass of red wine on my 1 week old blackberry bold. (it was facing keyboard up)
    i immediately took out the battery, dried it off as best as i could, and turned it on again (probably shouldn't have) and it booted fine, but the center button and the red and green keys do not work. the trackpad does work but the button will not select.

    the water damage indicators are NOT red.


    the phone is sitting in rice for now.

    will i be able to get a replacement since the water damage indicators are not activated?

    thank you very much.
    08-22-10 01:05 AM
  2. FF22's Avatar
    Do not try turning it on for a while (more later).

    The compounds in the wine are definitely not good. Drying it thoroughly might work or those compounds could cause problems. Leave it for 2-4 days (according to some estimates). You could also use desicants found in hardware stores for drying basements or keeping damp out of closets.

    If you have INSURANCE water/wine damage would be covered. If not, it is not covered. You have to make the choice about what might be moral given your circumstances.

    Good luck with drying it.

    New boyfriends are cheaper than new BB's!
    08-22-10 01:20 AM
  3. lmara2's Avatar
    but if the water damage indicators *don't say* there's water damage...is it water damage??
    08-22-10 01:25 AM
  4. Asperse's Avatar
    Those are just on the battery, are they not? If there's wine or the compounds found in wine inside the buttons, that'll do it.
    Next time, don't turn it on.
    08-22-10 02:19 AM
  5. bushako's Avatar
    There are several indicators including on the battery, underneath the battery and inside the phone. So even if the ones at the back have not indicated water damage, the ones located inside will show up. Your best bet is to keep it in the uncooked rice for several days battery out(4-5days) without attempting to switch it ON as this will cause a short circuit and will cause more damage than good.

    Sorry about your breakup.
    08-22-10 06:05 AM
  6. shahkem's Avatar
    Like someone previously stated, there are many indicators that will show water damage. I really hope that u have insurance.

    Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    08-22-10 06:16 AM
  7. lmara2's Avatar
    thanks everyone... i'll leave it in the rice for a bit.
    since it's only the buttons that don't work, is there a way i can take the front keyboard off and clean out underneath or anythiing like that?
    08-22-10 07:20 AM
  8. kbz1960's Avatar
    I'm surprised that people still get an electronic device wet and then try to dry it with a hair dryer or whatever and after a short time they stick the battery back in and turn it on. Wet + electronic = fry.
    08-22-10 09:09 AM
  9. FF22's Avatar
    There are some videos of taking the 9650 apart and folks to it all the time. There are a few delicate steps like removing the top plastic part that contains the lock/mute buttons. Taking it apart would definitely void the warranty but it might fix the issue. Placing it in a warm area with breeze or fan could speed the drying up.

    Good luck.
    08-22-10 09:32 AM
  10. pr1nce's Avatar
    I wouldn't try taking it apart. Leave it in the rice for a few days. Do you have insurance?
    08-22-10 10:05 AM
  11. lmara2's Avatar
    i went to verizon today and told them the buttons don't work and they replaced it no questions asked. YAY. i didn't have insurance.
    08-22-10 03:31 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD