I have a Blackberry Curve 9360 and on Saturday night I fell in a pool. Afterwards I tried turning my phone on and the screen just went fuzzy..... when I got home the phone just had a solid red LED light but wouldn't turn on. I left it till Monday and tried turning it on but nothing happened, no lights or anything. I then after reading some tips online took apart my phone (took off back, battery, sim card) and put it in a tubawere box with some Uncle Ben's basmati Rice. I wake up this morning to find an extremely buttery phone.... but the solid red light comes on for about a minute when I put the charger in the phone but it won't turn on.

Please can someone tell me what this means/ how to fix my phone and at what cost.... I am not good with phones so keep it in leighman's terms if possible. Sorry if this is the wrong section to post this but I can't find anywhere appropriate to post this.... thanks for any help
    07-17-13 02:55 AM
    bump- somebody?
    07-17-13 03:46 AM
    thanks for nothing
    07-17-13 04:40 AM
    First off, welcome to the forums. Secondly, you posted 3 messages within 2 hours. Sometimes it takes longer for a response depending upon the knowledge of the people currently on the forum.

As for your phone, you should have immediately removed the battery once you retrieved it from the pool. Trying to turn it on without having placed it in rice immediately to draw out the water has probably fried the phone at this point (especially because pools have chlorine) since after you had it in rice it will still not power on.
    Sith_Apprentice and Adrian_H like this.
    07-17-13 07:13 AM
    Ok, couple of things, as blueyestm said, you need to give us time to locate your post. 2 hours and three posts later, the last people somewhat rude, do not help your case. While clearly not all North American, there are MANY members from North America on these forums. Your first post came in before 4 am Eastern, long before most people are awake.

1) Whenever electronics come in contact with liquid it is best to remove power until the device is completely dry. Adding a current to that can only serve to damage/destroy electronics
    2) the rice trick is done with PLAIN rice, adding butter to the mix can cause a dangerous situation. You are adding fat/grease/etc to a system that involves heat and electricity. While I am not sure if a phone would cause a fire in such cases, it is possible, and therefore a very bad idea.
    3) Your only option at this point (since the battery is almost assuredly dead) is to try another battery after a few days of the device drying in plain rice. If that doesnt work you likely will need a new phone.
    Adrian_H likes this.
    07-17-13 07:18 AM
    I apologise it was early in the morning before my lecture and I gave it a bump before I left so hopefully someone would answer.... I didn't know how active these forums were.

Do you recommend I wipe my phone with a wet cloth to remove the grease and then put it in PLAIN rice ? Then after a few days use a new battery to see if it will work? Thanks for the advice so farr
    07-17-13 07:51 AM
    If it is as you said "fried" does that mean there is no way to repair it?
    07-17-13 07:52 AM
    Just to make sure it's said despite being relatively obvious:
    Rice should be raw, uncooked. And container should be open for air circulation.

Also, when you mention plugging it in again to check, didn't oh put in battery again? If not, the red LED appearing momentarily is regular behaviour. Your BB won't operate without a battery.
    Sith_Apprentice likes this.
    07-17-13 07:54 AM
    it is quite an active forum but as mentioned there are different time zones and it is a weekday so others who will be awake will be at work

did you put in it uncooked rice? im not sure if youre trolling as you put your phone in greasy non dried packet rice but if youre not then definitely wipe it down with a cloth, dismantle it and rub the insides gentle with isopropyl alcohol (99% ideally, rubbing alcohol) as it wont leave mineral residue like water will. leave it to dry off in a bag of uncooked (dry & hard) plain rice not packet rice or rice with powder flavourings in it for a few days. do not use vodka, spirits or regular alcohol as it is a much lower alcohol percentage and will leave residue.... also dont drink the isopropyl alcohol >.>

as you didnt immediately remove the battery and your screen went fuzzed up i think you might need a new screen at least
    07-17-13 07:57 AM
    If the pool you fell in was chlorinated you are going to be looking for a new phone soon. All the rice in the world will not change the fact that chlorine is a corrosive.
    Sith_Apprentice and Elite1 like this.
    07-17-13 07:58 AM
    If the pool you fell in was chlorinated you are going to be looking for a new phone soon. All the rice in the world will not change the fact that chlorine is a corrosive.
    Very true, and having been several days already it is likely toast anyway. I have seen devices survive chlorine when the battery is removed and in rice nearly immediately (within an hour or so). Any time past that it is only a matter of time until everything goes.
    amazinglygraceless likes this.
    07-17-13 08:00 AM
    It had no chlorine in it... was just filled up with a hose. I used a packet on uncle bens rice because I thought it would be better than nothing. With the Red LED light coming on it was with the battery in and the charger connected if that helps at all
    07-17-13 08:10 AM
    Also if I took my phone to a repair shop would they be able to tell me what parts I'd need to replace without completely dismantling the phone?
    07-17-13 08:11 AM
    It had no chlorine in it... was just filled up with a hose. I used a packet on uncle bens rice because I thought it would be better than nothing. With the Red LED light coming on it was with the battery in and the charger connected if that helps at all
    Please understand that the whole purpose of putting a phone in uncooked rice is to draw out and soak up the moisture in the phone, just like it soaks up water as you cook it. Putting the phone with wet, cooked rice does absolutely nothing to soak moisture up since the rice grains are already full of water.
    amazinglygraceless likes this.
    07-17-13 08:14 AM
    Not altogether correct. Many public water systems chlorinate their water supply because chlorine is one of the most efficient disinfectants available. While it is true chlorine will over time dissipate, the large the volume of water the greater that time will be. For a good sized pool we are conceivably talking well over 48 hours.
    07-17-13 08:20 AM
    Please understand that the whole purpose of putting a phone in uncooked rice is to draw out and soak up the moisture in the phone, just like it soaks up water as you cook it. Putting the phone with wet, cooked rice does absolutely nothing to soak moisture up since the rice grains are already full of water.

Yes I realise now.... I panicked when I was told my phone was buggered - and just looked for any rice and didn't think :doh:.
    07-17-13 08:20 AM
    They will only be able to tell you that there's water damage without taking it apart.. they can give you an educated guess as to what's likely going to need replaced but you are probably looking at a complete strip down.. most shops should be willing to take it in and give you a quote to fix it. If you don't like the price, or if it's cheaper to buy a new unit unlocked then you can make the choice at that point..
    07-17-13 08:21 AM
    it is quite an active forum but as mentioned there are different time zones and it is a weekday so others who will be awake will be at work

did you put in it uncooked rice? im not sure if youre trolling as you put your phone in greasy non dried packet rice but if youre not then definitely wipe it down with a cloth, dismantle it and rub the insides gentle with isopropyl alcohol (99% ideally, rubbing alcohol) as it wont leave mineral residue like water will. leave it to dry off in a bag of uncooked (dry & hard) plain rice not packet rice or rice with powder flavourings in it for a few days. do not use vodka, spirits or regular alcohol as it is a much lower alcohol percentage and will leave residue.... also dont drink the isopropyl alcohol >.>

as you didnt immediately remove the battery and your screen went fuzzed up i think you might need a new screen at least
    Yes, was going to mention the alcohol too.
    Again, this must be ultra pure alcohol, likely from a pharmacy or supply store.

Fill a small container (just bigger than phone) and gently dunk your phone in it briefly a few times.
    Yes seriously. The alcohol will evaporate completely afterwards.
    Hopefully it will also drive out some water or other contaminants to which you exposed your phone, if it's not too late.

And don't use your hand! Use clean forceps or tongs to gently hold your device.
    Afterwards, replace it in the rice.
    07-17-13 08:25 AM
    Yes, was going to mention the alcohol too.
    Again, this must be ultra pure alcohol, likely from a pharmacy or supply store.

Fill a small container (just bigger than phone) and gently dunk your phone in it briefly a few times.
    Yes seriously. The alcohol will evaporate completely afterwards.
    Hopefully it will also drive out some water or other contaminants to which you exposed your phone, if it's not too late.

And don't use your hand! Use clean forceps or tongs to gently hold your device.
    Afterwards, replace it in the rice.
    I am concerned with the oil/grease from the butter and how well the alcohol will do to clean this. distilled water can also work, but it must be TRULY distilled and not contain contaminents etc.
    Elite1 and amazinglygraceless like this.
    07-17-13 08:30 AM
    I am concerned with the oil/grease from the butter and how well the alcohol will do to clean this. distilled water can also work, but it must be TRULY distilled and not contain contaminents etc.
    Is pure alcohol considered a degreaser? If not is there a safe option?
    07-17-13 08:33 AM
    Is pure alcohol considered a degreaser? If not is there a safe option?
    That I am not sure, and will have to look up. It is possible it is, if not many of the degreasers I know are water based or ammonia based (ammonia would be VERY bad to use if chroline is present).
    07-17-13 08:44 AM
    That I am not sure, and will have to look up. It is possible it is, if not many of the degreasers I know are water based or ammonia based (ammonia would be VERY bad to use if chroline is present).

Was filled using a garden hose so no chlorine is present.
    07-17-13 08:47 AM
    Quick search online has mixed results. While most results do say it works as a degreaser, some say it leaves a film on items, particularly metals (I am thinking contacts on the board with that). Use 99% for best results.
    07-17-13 08:47 AM
    Was filled using a garden hose so no chlorine is present.
    As mentioned above, many sources of drinking or tap water does have chemicals in it. While it wouldnt (or shouldnt) be anywhere near "public pool" levels, it is still there. Bleach (chlorine) and Ammonia can be very deadly if mixed, MUCH better to avoid any possibility of this.
    07-17-13 08:49 AM
    Even if it is bricked (which at this point I think it is), at least you have a side dish for dinner.
    07-17-13 08:52 AM
31 12