Hello,

This Christmas I will be getting a Blackberry phone from my parents. I am very excited, but do not know what model to choose. I originally chose the Curve, but it is not available to me.

I am on Verizon Wireless, and currently have a Samsung phone that I got for $70 after my RAZR broke. I have been longing for a BB for a very long time, and this is my chance to get one!

Verizon offers both the 8830 WE, as well as the 8130 Pearl. I would like some advice as to which one would suit my needs better. Please note that although your answer may be opinionated due to your specific device ownership, I would like advice as to what would work best for me and my needs!

Before anyone asks, I have been to the Verizon Wireless store, and played around with a non-working 8830, and a working 8130. The Pearls size is nice, but it looks a bit feminine to me. The 8830 size is not an issue for me, and if it really is then I suppose I will choose the pearl and return it. But for now, it seems to be fine when I put it in my pocket.

Let me tell you what I plan on using it for:

• Text Messaging! This is very important! I text more than anything.
    • Phone Calls everyday.
    • BrickBreaker for class.
    • Internet (next year)
    • E-mails (next year)

By (next year) I mean that I will not get the data plan until I enter College, because then I will need it. So before that I will not be using internet or e-mail on it, just mainly texting and calling.

People say "Why get a data phone if you don't need it?!" but they do not understand that I think its better to get it now and enable the data in May of 08' when I go to University .

I apologize for this very long thread, but this is a major decision to me as I have never had this nice of a phone before .

Thank you for all of your help!

-Dustin
    12-10-07 09:46 PM
    i agree, the pearl is just a tad bit feminine. If the camera isnt so much of the issue to you, get the 8830 WE. Its a really a nice phone. I initially wanted that but realized there is no camera, which is something i want in my phone.

Don't worry about people hissing you about the data plan. its not like they are paying for your bill, so just tell them to shut their mouth.
    12-10-07 09:48 PM
    Thanks for the quick reply, silver!

Well, I do not ever use the camera on my current phone, but I feel that if I get a phone without one, I will all of a sudden need one. Sort of strange, I know, but it is something to think about I suppose.
    12-10-07 10:00 PM
    also, typing on the pearl is a little difficult. I prefer the full qwerty better.
    12-10-07 10:06 PM
    I agree that when I was playing with the 8130, the Sure-Type was for some reason very frustrating to use, while ticking away at the 8830 seemed effortless.

What about the keys on the 8830, they seemed a little smushed, but nothing a quick backspace couldn't fix...

I couldn't tell whether I was making mistakes since the phone was off unfortunately. This is why I ask.
    12-10-07 10:12 PM
    I'm with Silver...I'm not on VZW but I went with the Curve over the Pearl...My buddy just went to a Verizon store and we used two working devices, the 8130, and the 8830 and I enjoyed the 8830 myself because I don't like Suretype and if you can go without a camera then get the 8830 for texting I don't think it can be beat. (just my opinion)
    12-10-07 10:14 PM
    If you don't need the camera, go with the 8830

I am 6'5" and have large hands and the keyboard on the 8830 is very easy to use.
    12-10-07 10:16 PM
    if you can do without a camera get the 8830. i have large hands and typing on the 8830 is easy.
    12-10-07 10:28 PM
    That is a relief to hear, because I thought that the 8830 was easy to text on, but the screen wasn't on :.

I think I will wait for some input from some Pearl users, and see what the general consensus is on my needs.

I would like to thank everyone for replying so fast, it's great and saves me a lot of time!
    12-10-07 10:44 PM
    also, since texting is really important to you, you should really go with 8830. as mentioned, its kind of hard texting with the pearl since each letter is so bunch together and you commonly get typos.
    12-10-07 10:48 PM
    Go to ATT- get a Curve
    Simple
    But expensive-lol
    I'd go with the Pearl- you'll need the camera in college to take pictures of good times and drunk friends-lol

But seriously!

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    12-11-07 02:38 AM
    If you are on Verizon I will be very surprised if they let you have the phone without a data plan. I have a friend that tried and they simple would not allow it so you need to check that first. As far as the differences between the devices, I have had both and there is no way that you would ever get me to go back to the 8830. I would take a curve in a heart beat but I too have verizon so that is just not an option. Some say that the pearl is femine but their opinion is just that an opinion. I use mine for all of my business needs and it does a much better job then the 8830 ever did. It does take a bit of time to get use to the suretype but it has been greatly improved over the 7130 that I use to have. I have a spreadsheet program on mine and even with the suretype it does awesome. I had all kinds of software issues with the 8830 and I absolutely hated the keyboard to try and use it one handed. The new os on the pearl makes it so much better than the 8830 is right now. Hopefully they will upgrade the os on the 8830 soon but even then I cannot name one advantage of it verses the pearl. It is merely a preference on the keyboard.
    12-11-07 06:23 AM
    Personally I couldn't imagine getting a phone without a camera. Even if you don't think you'll use it, you'd be surprised how handy it can be to take a quick snapshot, upload things to Facebook as it just unfolds in front of you, etc. etc. etc. I personally don't think SureType is that bad, after a week I've gotten to the point I type faster on it than I do on the standard older QWERTY BlackBerry I used to own for work but there is a time period that you have to get used to it. I type out full 160 character SMS's in seconds. The size is perfect, the 8830 is a bit too wide for my taste, the 8130 actually looks, feels and acts like a candy bar form factor phone.

Get the plan you need for minutes (I get the smallest plan because everyone I know also uses Verizon so I barely go through phone minutes). Add the $10 for unlimited IN messaging and 500 messages or + $20 to step up to unlimited messaging but you may not need to because when you add the $30 Blackberry data plan, you'll just be checking your email for messages. Just tell everyone to email you and keep SMS to just a few people. Verizon doesn't offer the best rates in terms of their plans, but if your already sticking with Verizon, there's no reason not to get BIS. I'd be surprised like Fbrn if you can get either phone without signing up for at least the $29.99 BIS plan. I know an addition $40 on top of whatever voice plan you have is a lot to ask of any college student.

If your looking just to TXT, consider getting an enV. Or if you have the cash the Voyager VX10000.
    12-11-07 09:13 AM
    Well I have the 8800 & as far as I gather it's the same size/keyboard etc as the 8830 (may be wrong though ) and I find the keyboard very easy to use. I'm not a huge phone camera user however there are times that I would really like to have one with me & when this happens I tend to take another phone with me instead. I would ALWAYS go for a qwerty keyboard over a suretype on but that's just my personal feeling on the matter.
    12-11-07 09:21 AM
    I got the 8830 last Thursday, I really wanted the Curve but the Verizon manager at the store said they felt the Pearl was their BB with a camera and I got the impression they weren't getting the Curve. Anyway I told him I needed QWERTY. Well, the 8830 is nice but the keyboard is not usable in certain lighting situations. Dark blue lighting is just not readable. And not having a camera kept bugging me, and the thing is fairly big. So I went to look at the Pearl, and hated the keyboard for typing web site names but after awhile and reading reviews on CNet I began to really like it. Once you "get" SureType it really can be faster. The Pearl has a more modern OS than the 8830, better fonts, can play YouTube, and the screen size did not bother me as being too small like I thought it would. So, I exchanged for the Pearl on Sunday and I love it - form factor, the little case it comes with, Google Talk, Google Mail, Google Maps - really nice.
    12-11-07 10:12 PM
    If you do not need a camera go with the 8830 I switched from 8830 to 8130 when it came out miss the full type keyboard. Besides the camera they both alike (except size)
    If you are waiting a little while before you get full BB services the curve will be out soon that will have full keyboard with camera.
    12-12-07 08:26 AM
    My last phone had a camera and I used it all the time! When I decided to make the switch to a smartphone, it was something I thought I needed to have. I almost got a treo over of BB because of it, however in the end the 8830 was just a better phone, despite not having a camera. I bought the 8830 and don't ever miss the camera because the rest of the phone is just so nice. Im big fan of texting as well, which is why the Pearl was so appaling to me, yuck, no full QWERTY...a must have for texters! I don't know of anyone who has a Pearl but have been dying to find out how they are going over as Sprint has just picked them up. I wont be switching over, but I am still curious!! Good luck!
    12-13-07 02:33 PM
    Well I have caught a lucky break, my family might switch to AT&T, in which case I will purchase the Curve which is the best of both worlds! If not, I will pick up the 8830 because of the QWERTY.
    12-13-07 10:21 PM
    My last phone had a camera and I used it all the time! When I decided to make the switch to a smartphone, it was something I thought I needed to have. I almost got a treo over of BB because of it, however in the end the 8830 was just a better phone, despite not having a camera. I bought the 8830 and don't ever miss the camera because the rest of the phone is just so nice. Im big fan of texting as well, which is why the Pearl was so appaling to me, yuck, no full QWERTY...a must have for texters! I don't know of anyone who has a Pearl but have been dying to find out how they are going over as Sprint has just picked them up. I wont be switching over, but I am still curious!! Good luck!
    I'm telling you the Suretype is great on the Pearl. Its often faster because it can predict long words so you needn't type the whole word just click the trackball to insert the word. And 99% of the time the Pearl gets the word right. I had one tonight it did not get right - I wanted to type "See" and it typed "Are" which uses the same keys but thats the exception not the rule. The form factor is great too.
    12-13-07 10:26 PM
    Well I have caught a lucky break, my family might switch to AT&T, in which case I will purchase the Curve which is the best of both worlds! If not, I will pick up the 8830 because of the QWERTY.
    Verizon is better. The Curve uses Edge network which is slower than EVDO on the Pearl and 8830. Better coverage on Verizon too.
    12-13-07 10:28 PM
    well, I know three girls who own the 8130, and have played around on it a lot, and it is too small in my hands! It is like a little toy to me, but I am 6' 3" and have huge hands.

The SureType drives me absolutely crazy when I use it, like the word "me" being "of" and having to change it all the time!!!

I have decided that I really want a full QWERTY and if it's not a possibility then I will get the Pearl...

And Verizon is CRAZY expensive for every little thing!
    12-13-07 10:37 PM
    Yeah, you get what you pay for with Verizon. Good service and coverage.

I have the Pearl and got used to the SureType in no time. Now I love it. Since it does predict what you are typing, you will be able to type faster. You have to use it for a while, though, so it can learn what words you use most. It's really awesome.

My brother has the 8830 and it looks like a BRICK next to my Pearl! The Pearl fits into my pocket, no problem. Plus it has the camera, which is very nice. You may want one once you're in college. They're fun to have, no doubt.

I had the enV and hated it. I guess if you are strictly texting it's fine. But BBs do so much more, you can't even compare the two. Whatever BB you choose, you can't go wrong! Good luck in college!
    12-19-07 03:16 PM
    well, I know three girls who own the 8130, and have played around on it a lot, and it is too small in my hands! It is like a little toy to me, but I am 6' 3" and have huge hands.

The SureType drives me absolutely crazy when I use it, like the word "me" being "of" and having to change it all the time!!!

I have decided that I really want a full QWERTY and if it's not a possibility then I will get the Pearl...

And Verizon is CRAZY expensive for every little thing!
    "me" can't possibly be "of" on the Pearl, the M key is dedicated to "m" only.
    01-10-08 04:22 PM
    The main thing i do on my pearl is txt...

I came from an LG the V which had T9 and QWERTY so that was cool but i had the extended battery so it was a brick. The pearl's size is awesome and Suretype is just as good if not better the QWERTY and thats coming from someone who previously used QWERTY. And your going to college???? I'm in my 2nd year and whoever said taking pics of drunk friends with the camera couldn't be more dead on, video of 2 minute keg stands, lingerie parties (only happened once but when that happens you will miss the camera), many scenarios in which camera would be necessary... With the 8830 WE without a camera means no MMS am i correct? Which sure there is e-mail but e-mail is not MMS. Sucks you have huge hands because all though no QWERTY sucks at first you get use to it in no time.

If you go to AT&t, godspeed with the service but I am jealous of the curve.
    01-11-08 01:25 AM
    which one did you pick?
    01-11-08 01:54 AM
32 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD