How's it going everyone,

Hopefully some of y'all can help me out. I lost my Curve last night around 2 am, and am concerned for the information that is on it. I'm almost certain the battery is dead by now, so I'm somewhat relieved right now (until the phone is found and gets charged again).

Even though my phone requires the password entry prior to using it, I'm worried that they will still be able to bypass that somehow.

Here's my question and correct me if I'm wrong: since the phone requires password entry prior to using it, isn't it possible to bypass password entry by answering an incoming call? Once the call is done, the phone is active which allows anyone to wonder around through the apps, media, contacts, etc.

I tried calling the phone a few times but I've had no luck, so I suspended the phone line and am getting a new one sent. I wish phone technology was at the point now where in cases like this, the carrier/manufacturer can simply wipe all information on the phone and media card without having the phone physically in hand.

Does anyone have any helpful tips/suggestions other than praying that the info doesn't surface anywhere?
    06-08-08 09:05 AM
    They will not bypass the password by answering a call. Hopfully they will attempt to guess the password and exceed the limit you set.
    06-08-08 09:27 AM
    If your phone is locked and someone calls the phone doesn't unlock it just let's you answer the phone. It is hard to bypass the unlock code if you get it wrong 9 time the device wipes it self clean.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    06-08-08 09:29 AM
    They will not bypass the password by answering a call. Hopfully they will attempt to guess the password and exceed the limit you set.
    If your phone is locked and someone calls the phone doesn't unlock it just let's you answer the phone. It is hard to bypass the unlock code if you get it wrong 9 time the device wipes it self clean.

Thanks guys. I wasn't sure of that. I've done it so many times that I never payed attention. Threefive, you said the device 'wipes itself clean'. I'm guessing it's only the internal memory that gets wiped? The microSD remains intact?
    06-08-08 09:34 AM
    Threefive, you said the device 'wipes itself clean'. I'm guessing it's only the internal memory that gets wiped? The microSD remains intact?
    Your guess is correct.
    06-08-08 09:39 AM
    Thanks guys. I wasn't sure of that. I've done it so many times that I never payed attention. Threefive, you said the device 'wipes itself clean'. I'm guessing it's only the internal memory that gets wiped? The microSD remains intact?
    You're welcome. Enjoy the forums!
    06-08-08 09:45 AM
    One final question and this isn't topic related: I've had some files moved to the default My Faves Icons Folder in Pictures. These pics were purposely moved there and weren't cropped/saved as My Faves Icons. If I'm not mistaken, isn't this folder stored in the internal memory and not the external? Can someone verify that? I think I remember cropping/saving the My Faves Icons even before I bought a microSD.

Thanks in advance.
    06-08-08 10:34 AM
    The my faves icons are stored in internal memory if it was before you bought the microSD. If it was after that, they will be stored to your microSD as the SD becomes the default for all images stored to your BB.

06-08-08 10:41 AM
    Dave --

Just wondering what kind of pics you had ???????

06-08-08 10:48 AM
    After reading this post i enable my password. we never know
    06-08-08 11:04 AM
    I will enable mine too.

Newbie welcome to CB.
    06-08-08 11:14 AM
    I have posted this before, but it bears repeating. Your friends' and family's personal, private information is in your call logs and address book. You owe it to them to password protect your device. You can always get a new phone. Do you want some thief (or worse) having your daughter's picture, home address, and phone number?

You can also encrypt your microSD card separately. Depending on what you use it for, that might also be a good idea. It is not wiped when the bb wipes after 10 incorrect attempts. Obviously it can also be removed from the device and used separately.

Protect your friends and family!
    06-08-08 11:25 AM
    I wish phone technology was at the point now where in cases like this, the carrier/manufacturer can simply wipe all information on the phone and media card without having the phone physically in hand.
    If you're on a BES connection your phone can be wiped remotely. I don't know about BIS.
    06-08-08 12:05 PM
    The password may be a PIA to enter every hour, for peace of mind in the case of a lost stolen phone I highly recommend that the lock phone feature be used.

Recently a friend lost her cell, no password, several of us received calls from a female (not using friends phone) stating that we had her phone and she wanted it returned or would call the police. After 5 or so calls I advised the female to call the police. About an hour later a guy called identifying himself as a police officer. I told him I'd agree to meet him and return the phone, contacted a buddy of mine from work (local cop) and long story short we got my friends phone back and 2 bad people spent some time in the gray bar hotel.

Always always lock your phone!
    06-08-08 12:10 PM
    In addition to the above...

Before storing those nekkid pics of your girlfriend or wife... imagine how dead you will be if you lose your phone and it's not locked.

If you have various GPS apps on your phone, you can actually track it when lost/stolen. I highly recommend you get one of these. FYI, your device can be remotely wiped by some 3rd party apps, as well as some carriers (on request), however it will not wipe your SD card.

So, if you have stuff on that you best encrypt it too.

Far easier to just not have anything more sensitive on it than names and addresses if you ask me.

Good luck
    06-08-08 12:15 PM
    How does one encrypt the memory card?
    06-08-08 12:26 PM
    Status/Options/Media Card
    Media Card Support: On
    Encryption Mode: your choice
    Mass Storage Mode Support: On
    Auto Enable Mass Storage Mode When Connected: Prompt
    06-08-08 12:29 PM
    In addition to the above...

Before storing those nekkid pics of your girlfriend or wife... imagine how dead you will be if you lose your phone and it's not locked.
    You can take nekkid pictures with your BB, well who would've thunk it!
    06-08-08 12:41 PM
    I have enabled my password now,
    and tbh i must say that the blackberry security is the best i have ever seen on a mobile device of anykind,

and alsoi would highly reccomend anything that goes on the device is backed up somewhere.
    06-08-08 12:55 PM
    I have my lock stored as a convenience key. It really helps me keep it safe plus it prevents it from accidentially dialing.

06-08-08 02:05 PM
    I just did the media card password protect but it didn't ask me to assign it a password. Is it going to bew the same pass as my BB?

06-08-08 02:08 PM
    I password protected my card but it didn't ask me to add a passcode. Will it default to my BB passcode?

06-08-08 02:14 PM
    Sorry stupid thing didn't refresh so I thought t didn't post

06-08-08 02:16 PM
    I tried all three options. It never asked for a password. As a final check, I removed the card from the bb and put it in my laptop. I can view everything. So...clearly I don't understand the encryption option. More research is required.
    06-08-08 02:26 PM
    Just a question to the OP, i'm sure you're stressed, but if the phone's locked and a stranger found it, how could they call it?

06-08-08 02:27 PM
44 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD