I've asked this before but not gotten help. Not that some didn't try, I just can't get a resolution, and it's an important question.

I can do OTA downloads, but can't do them with Desktop Manager. I push the "Add" button and browse for the files I want downloaded. I can SEE THEM ON MY DESKTOP....but they're NOT in a Desktop folder. Not only can I see them on my desktop, but there's a box that appears on the lower toolbar that appears when I download a file, and it's title is "Downloads"....there they all are....but I can't get to them from the "Add" button because I can't find them in an actual folder anywhere, and I can't 'drag' them from the desktop.

This has been a problem since I got my BB a couple of months ago. Can anyone help me resolve this problem?
    08-06-08 03:01 PM
    What version of Desktop Manager are you using? Since we last worked this, (yes, I'm one of the one's that failed to help) Desktop Manager has been upgraded to 4.5. The new version has a browse command that will let you go to your desktop. See if that will help you find it. Your fundamental problem is still that your PC browser is defaulting to storing files in a location you can't find. Somehow you have to be able to override that and specify the folder you want to use.
    Last edited by JeffH; 08-06-08 at 03:07 PM. Reason: typo
    08-06-08 03:06 PM
    1) You cannot load OTA downloads with Desktop Manager

2) What kind of files are you attempting to browse for with AppLoader?? They should be .alx files

3) What version of DM are you using?
    08-06-08 03:09 PM
    A lot of my minor Desktop Manager issues ended when I installed v4.5.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    08-06-08 03:12 PM
    What are the downloaded files called?

If they have extensions like .alx and .cod then they should show up in DM. DM thinks that a .alx file is what it wants to install to your phone and it is the only type of file that it will load. A .cod file is a resource file to the .alx and will get uploaded to your phone.

If you have a .zip file then you need to unzip it by double clicking on it and the selecting Extract all files in the left hand panel. Hopefully thos wil reveal the .alx and.cod files that you need.

A .jar or .jad file is strictly for OTA download.
    Last edited by Pete6; 08-06-08 at 03:19 PM.
    08-06-08 03:15 PM
    JeffH, I appreciate your help now and also before. I will download the new DM version and see what happens, then come back here and let you know.
    08-06-08 03:19 PM
    I went to the Desktop Manager software updates (4.5) and there are about 50 different versions of them. Is there one in particular that I should choose to download?
    08-06-08 03:25 PM
    Either choose the first one (Without Media Manager)
    or the second one (With).
    08-06-08 03:32 PM
    Well, wouldn't you know it. 4.5.0 downloaded to the same box everything else is in, the one I can't find. Could it be that Internet Explorer is battling with my Firefox? I got a new weird menu that comes up from the toolbar below, entitled "Internet Explorer" that lists all the downloads and calls them all "download". I can't believe this. Of course I can't proceed, because 'it' doesn't want to.
    08-06-08 04:49 PM
    CB I'm sorry but I have no idea what you mean. You can tell IE and Firefox where to save it. Try sending it to a folder you know
    how to get to.
    08-06-08 05:03 PM
    I made a folder on my Destop and called it "BB Downloads" and put them all in there. When I try to "Add" one to sync, a box comes up with a long string of nonsense (to me) and says there's an "sml syntax error on line 1". One of my downloads is a Bible from Olive Tree software and the extension is pdb. A box comes up and says it doesn't know what program created it. I can't go anywhere from there.

The Olive Tree software (Bible) is made specifically for the BB Curve.
    08-06-08 05:05 PM
    CB I'm sorry but I have no idea what you mean. You can tell IE and Firefox where to save it. Try sending it to a folder you know
    how to get to.
    AG: read my first post in this thread. This is exactly where cb and I got stuck the last time. She can't find the files she downloads.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    08-06-08 05:10 PM
    1) Download DM 4.5 from here : https://www.blackberry.com/Downloads...VILgFJamt8LQ**

2) Follow this guide to install an app!! Lecture 9: How To Install and Manage Third Party Software Applications On Your BlackBerry | CrackBerry.com

*EDIT* And if you cannot find the files you download, this is a Browser issue (Firefox or IE on your PC)

Can you download other files to a location? Use your default browser and download the file, which will save into its default directory on your PC
    08-06-08 05:16 PM
    I made a folder on my Destop and called it "BB Downloads" and put them all in there. When I try to "Add" one to sync
    This is the part I don't get. You simply need to double click
    the executable and it will start the install process.

One of my downloads is a Bible from Olive Tree software and the extension is pdb. A box comes up and says it doesn't know what program created it. I can't go anywhere from there.
    Someone can correct me if I'm wrong, but the .pdb file is the
    Bible itself, did you d/l something to read it with, because you
    can't do that natively with the BB
    08-06-08 05:48 PM
    You ALL have been so nice to help. I finally did a shut-down on my computer and tried to download 4.5 again. This time it worked, but oh my it took forever, probably 40 minutes all total. I don't know why. But now I can try to install downloads with the 'new' desktop management upgrade. I don't know why I'm not hopeful.... I'll be back! And thanks so much for hanging in there with me!
    08-06-08 06:35 PM
    I feel like cussing. When I go to My Computer and look in my "BB Downloads" folder I just created, they all show up. But in the 'New and Improved' BB Desktop Manager 4.5.0, the BB folder is empty. Was this desktop manager maybe not made to download programs but to just look pretty on the Desktop?
    08-06-08 06:53 PM
    Did you uninstall the old DM before installing the new.
    Sometimes that takes your OS with it.

Leave DM alone. Close it and reinstall your OS and
    try again
    08-06-08 06:56 PM
    Now you're assuming I know what an OS is and how to reinstall it. I didn't touch the old DM, I just downloaded the new. It just looks like there is not a happy fix.
    08-06-08 06:59 PM
    I feel like cussing. When I go to My Computer and look in my "BB Downloads" folder I just created, they all show up. But in the 'New and Improved' BB Desktop Manager 4.5.0, the BB folder is empty. Was this desktop manager maybe not made to download programs but to just look pretty on the Desktop?
    It was made to install programs you have downloaded using IE or Firefox or whatever. It was not made to download programs. You have to download a program with IE, put the download somewhere where you can find it, unzip it to somewhere where you can find it, then run the desktop manager app loader, browse to that location, select the .alx file, and install it. Does that make sense?
    08-06-08 06:59 PM
    And I would seriously suggest you at least read the 101 Lecture
    in my sig. It'll help you understand a lot of the things you
    have been having trouble with recently
    08-06-08 07:10 PM
    Yes, it makes sense, although not all apps have that extension. And double-clicking the 'executable' just brings up the box that says it doesn't know the program that created it. The problem remains that I can find the downloads but can't install them because the 'browse' doesn't get me to the downloads, and I don't know why not. My new "BB Downloads" folder is full, but shows empty when I go thru DM.
    08-06-08 07:17 PM
    I understand what 101 is saying but I must figure out where my downloads are before I can try any of those steps. There's a speed bump I can't get past. When I first got my BB, I remember installing some books, and an install box came up (can't remember whether they were zipped or not). But it was like easy....because it prompted me to do what needed to be done. I haven't seen that box since. I don't know where it came from or where it went but it sure was helpful.
    08-06-08 07:28 PM
    Can we do this.... Lead me to a little download of something and we'll see if it gives me a choice of destination. Tell me where I should lead it to that's not my new BB downloads folder. At least then maybe I can proceed from there and follow the steps in 101. Does that sound reasonable? Be sure not to forget to tell me where to send it on my computer so I can find it.
    08-06-08 07:38 PM
    To clear things up... please take this step by step!!

1) Uninstall Desktop Manager
    2) Reinstall Desktop Manager from the link I so kindly provided you with before... in a previous post
    3) Make sure you are downloading a .zip file for the application you intend to download and install onto your Berry through AppLoader (this .zip file then needs to be extracted and should contain a .alx and a .cod file of some sort)
    4) AppLoader only recognizes and loads the .alx files (which load the correct .cod to your device)... Pete described this above
    5) You can NOT load .jad files to your device from DesktopManager/AppLoader!! You can only load those OTA

I hope this helps clear things up and give you a better understanding! Any other file (such as a .exe) is not intended for your BlackBerry!

*EDIT* : And you do not need to download the files off of the web to this "BB Downloads" folder on your PC. You can load apps to your device from any directory on your computer... you just have to navigate to it with your AppLoader when pointing to the .alx file to load!
    08-06-08 07:50 PM
    Questions: (1) What about losing the "OS" when I uninstall Desktop Manager. Can't I assume it's installed okay, after all it took almost 45 minutes, I don't want to have to go thru that again unless I know a good reason for it. (2) And this sentence of yours.... You can load apps to your device from any directory on your computer... you just have to navigate to it with your AppLoader when pointing to the .alx file to load! That's just the kind of thing that confuses the dickens outta me. Any directory...like what? AppLoader...? Point to an alx file?

I've never had those options before so I don't know how to do them w/o the options that actually lead me to do so. I think if a download/install had even worked once this could be easier, but it's now all greek to me, especially when I can't find the download files thru DM. That's a roadblock nobody can get around.
    08-06-08 08:25 PM
46 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD