hi all, first on foremost i would like to tell u that im using my bb for only about half a year now. that's right, my knowledge in the bb world is like an average joe. however, since the debut of bold 9000, javelin and storm into the market, we can see newly emerging devices that try to compete with blackberries.

we all know that, the magnificent feature of a blackberry is the push service it has (thanks to RIM's BIS and also BES). now, it makes me wonder, what are the new devices serves for if it lacks that kind of feature? what's the point of having a full flash capabilities in a phone when u still have to find a hotspot to browse and check your email?

do other phones (like Android and iPhone or WinMo of that matters) have their own servers like blackberry does? OR the push service is only provided based upon what kind of operators u have?

i still love my bb though and yes, even though the OSs are sometimes a lil bit crappy and laggy performance, but it has improved so much since its 1st introduction (and more softwares and updates are available to suit our daily needs)

thanks for reading this. your views and comments are very much appreciated
    11-10-09 03:46 PM
    I like the options of my storm 1. that's why i bought it. but I didn't know it would be full of glitches and run a terrible bug filled os. It would be great if the features worked as they should. That's why i am paying so much for the phone, and added data plan. Which is very slow and a waste considering how slow, the freezing, and bugs it has.
    11-10-09 03:49 PM
    I like the options of my storm 1. that's why i bought it. but I didn't know it would be full of glitches and run a terrible bug filled os. It would be great if the features worked as they should. That's why i am paying so much for the phone, and added data plan. Which is very slow and a waste considering how slow, the freezing, and bugs it has.
    Get the latest OS. Everyone has been saying it's really solid and a lot of stuff got fixed.

hi all, first on foremost i would like to tell u that im using my bb for only about half a year now. that's right, my knowledge in the bb world is like an average joe. however, since the debut of bold 9000, javelin and storm into the market, we can see newly emerging devices that try to compete with blackberries.

we all know that, the magnificent feature of a blackberry is the push service it has (thanks to RIM's BIS and also BES). now, it makes me wonder, what are the new devices serves for if it lacks that kind of feature? what's the point of having a full flash capabilities in a phone when u still have to find a hotspot to browse and check your email?

do other phones (like Android and iPhone or WinMo of that matters) have their own servers like blackberry does? OR the push service is only provided based upon what kind of operators u have?

i still love my bb though and yes, even though the OSs are sometimes a lil bit crappy and laggy performance, but it has improved so much since its 1st introduction (and more softwares and updates are available to suit our daily needs)

thanks for reading this. your views and comments are very much appreciated
    I think you're getting a little confused on some points, let me try to clarify.

Push service is email only, and you need a BB data plan for it. It means your email hits the phone without it having to constantly poll a server. This saves battery life in a big way.

Flash will be added to the browser for that extra battery draining sparkle people are all drooling over. It will work on a BB data plan, and also work using hot spot browsing. Yo udo not require a Wi-Fi hot spot to use the internet if you have a regular BB data plan though, but using Wi-Fi is always faster than a phone plan and doesn't count on your bill for anything.
    11-10-09 03:54 PM
    the storm 1 is good enough. now that there are many OS 5.0 OS leaks, it will make the phone better and lives up to its name. i'm using javelin now and planning to switch to storm 1. i dont mind the absence of WiFi though, as long as i can get a bigger screen coz i love to read ebooks and view power point files while on the go
    11-10-09 03:54 PM
    the storm 1 is good enough. now that there are many OS 5.0 OS leaks, it will make the phone better and lives up to its name. i'm using javelin now and planning to switch to storm 1. i dont mind the absence of WiFi though, as long as i can get a bigger screen coz i love to read ebooks and view power point files while on the go
    What about the Storm 2? It has Wi-Fi and might fit your needs if you really want that.
    11-10-09 03:56 PM
    thanks for clarifying that. but since u said the push service is only for emails, i wonder how does those IM apps work. Do they rely on push service as well? or normal data phone plans will be enough?
    11-10-09 03:59 PM
    I use IM+ most of the time, and usually a server sends data to the phone when it comes in so it doesn't need to poll the server. But that uses a regular data plan like anything else, or Wi-Fi.

Push email is a similar concept except it is very specific to email. Not only will it work with your BB email, but RIM can poll other servers on your behalf and push other email accounts to your BB as well which is a really nice feature.

For most apps, Wi-Fi should be enough. But something like push email requires a BB plan to work as it is bound to your phone specifically.
    11-10-09 04:02 PM
    The RIM im apps use push (as well as facebook and the upcoming ebay app), also RIM is rolling out push notifications for 3rd party apps.
    11-10-09 04:04 PM
    The RIM im apps use push (as well as facebook and the upcoming ebay app), also RIM is rolling out push notifications for 3rd party apps.
    if i put a blackberry (on BIS) and an iPhone (regular data plan) side by side, which of these will get the notifications for IMs and 3rd party apps 1st?
    Last edited by HusniMD; 11-10-09 at 04:14 PM.
    11-10-09 04:12 PM
    if i put a blackberry (on BIS) and an iPhone (regular data plan) side by side, which of these will get the notifications for IMs and 3rd party apps 1st?
    Not really relevant information though... Pretty much all 3rd party apps can get instant notifications from constant polling. But that's not push.

Push means the server tells the phone when you get something new. The standard way for most phones is to constantly ask the server if something is new.
    11-10-09 04:19 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD