Try and take the emotion out of it. If your relative died in a plane crash would you advocate not flying? Flying is safer than a bus which is safer than a car. In your theoretical example we can't even say if the death was by plane crash. Fear of the unknown/uncontrolled amplifies 'perceived' risk not objective risk.: we think we can control our driving and thus our risk of accidents, while flying in a plane where we are sitting in a tube going hundreds of mile an hour is dangerous.
    Sorry I can't take the emotional aspect out of it. We are supposed to be human after all.

Posted via CB10
    08-26-14 06:48 PM
    "To be human is to err"

Posted via CB10 with my z30
    habs_fan and DrBoomBotz like this.
    08-26-14 06:51 PM
    "To be human is to err"

"Err" on the side of caution.

Posted via CB10
    08-26-14 06:52 PM
    "Err" on the side of caution.

Posted via CB10
    As I previously stated. Let's all stay home. No driving, flying, eating, drinking, especially no talking on the phone, no sun tanning in the pool, no TV (don't want the kids watching that junk)...again, did I miss anything???

habs_fan likes this.
    08-26-14 06:55 PM
    I thought phones were bigger now, I can't imagine someone tucking a passport in their bra

Posted via CB10
    08-26-14 06:57 PM
    Oh....no posting on CB because there are too many insensitive people on their....what else...hmmmm.....oh, no Internet use because you might get a virus.....

08-26-14 06:57 PM
    I thought phones were bigger now, I can't imagine someone tucking a passport in their bra

Posted via CB10
    I'd like to see someone try it though...lol...

08-26-14 06:58 PM
    Thats a more balanced look at the issue. I have no problem about people wanting to further research the link. Just statements such as yours that 'the risk of cancer is great'. As noted in that article if cell phones cause cancers it would have to be in a manner that is totally different than cancers that we know. From your link

More research yes. "CELL PHONES CAUSE BREAST CANCER" hold your horses.
    I think more people carry their phones in their pants than bras, how many have been diagnosed with skin cancer on their derriere or thigh? Or guys with testicular cancer as a result of carrying a phone too close to their junk? Or prostate cancer? Or colon cancer?

CBfan - I'm not attempting to downplay your situation, it would be extremely upsetting to me as well to find out I might outlive any of my younger relatives. Unfortunately I have a healthy distrust of those in the medical profession, and had a doctor told me my daughter had developed cancer from her cell phone I'd be on my way to take her to another four or five opinions from other doctors.

Posted via CB10
    habs_fan likes this.
    08-26-14 07:04 PM
    Sorry I can't take the emotional aspect out of it. We are supposed to be human after all.

Posted via CB10
    As long as its recognized for what it is then thats good enough for the purposes of this thread. We can't be DATA all the time.
    08-26-14 07:11 PM
    As long as its recognized for what it is then thats good enough for the purposes of this thread. We can't be DATA all the time.
    Thank you

Posted via CB10
    08-26-14 07:17 PM
    The same is true for all men who keep phones in their shirt pocket.

Posted via CB10
    08-26-14 07:31 PM
    Wifi will be the death of us all

Posted via CB10
    08-26-14 08:58 PM
    This "information" is somewhere between a chain letter and a facebook post.
    08-26-14 10:10 PM
    This "information" is somewhere between a chain letter and a facebook post.
    Yes Max, this coming from you who speaks into his shoe.

Posted via CB10
    08-26-14 10:21 PM
    Lol...got me there!
    justsomebbuser and 00stryder like this.
    08-26-14 10:31 PM
    I keep my phone in my purse. Or in a jacket pocket, if I'm not carrying a purse. Do people really stuff phones in their bras? That would be horribly uncomfortable...

Anyways...

The electromagnetic radiation that comes out of your cellphone is the non-ionizing kind of radiation. Meaning it's nothing like the boo-scary nuclear radiation that people think of when they think of scary radiation.

Are you sure cellphone 'radiation' is all that dangerous? What about people with bluetooth headphone thingies in their ear all day long? What about the WiFi in your laptop, if you're using that while it's perched on your lap?

I'm not saying that radio-wave radiation isn't dangerous, but at the milliwatt and microwatt power levels in cellphones, it seems pretty unlikely to me. I've had an RF burn once, accidentally touched a base-station antenna while it was transmitting at about 15 watts. It was like my hand got all tingly and warm... but that was direct skin contact onto a bare metal antenna running at about a thousand times more power than a cellphone.
    Are you a tower technician or something? How did you get access to that antenna?
    Also there are no longer term studies at the effects of these low powered rf waves.
    One thing is for real though the brain activity changes once exposed even to the lowest of radiations.
    Source just attended this long *** seminar about RF exposure.
    Tower Technician here btw.

Posted via my STA100-5 z30
    08-26-14 10:37 PM

Posted via CB10
    I guess you aren't old enough to remember the Motorola Brick :-). Phones got smaller, now they are growing again. Nothing stays the same. Sorry, off topic.

Posted via my Q10 or Z10
    08-26-14 10:46 PM
    As I previously stated. Let's all stay home. No driving, flying, eating, drinking, especially no talking on the phone, no sun tanning in the pool, no TV (don't want the kids watching that junk)...again, did I miss anything???

Totally stupid to compare major lifestyle changes to simply stop sticking your phone down your bra.
    08-26-14 10:56 PM
    All though you might be right I hate the idea of giving warnings about everything. instead go for a phone with the lowest sar level. 20 Highest and Lowest Radiation Cell Phones - Cell Phones - ProCon.org for instance a Samsung galaxy note I would skip my BlackBerry Z30 if that was my main concern.
    08-27-14 03:20 AM
    Attention ladies and all cell phone users. If you or your daughter, mom ,grandmother or anyone has this habit, especially given the fact that cell phones have gotten larger and the trend is now no holsters, it is especially dangerous for young teens to store the phone there. For those who argue that the cell phone cannot do harm, please note that ALL manufacturers recommend not to keep any device less than half an inch from the body. The risk of cancer is great, especially with the teen population. Pass this along please.

Posted via CB10
    To say nothing of random dialing while at the gym. Really annoying.
    08-27-14 05:19 AM
    Regardless of any proven scientific data that does or doesn't yet exist, it stands to reason that there may be some risk with parking a device that radiates energy directly next to your body for long periods of time, especially particular areas of your body.

Many have brought up the pants pocket or shirt pocket issue. Perhaps the reason that is less dangerous is simply because the clothing itself acts as a small amount of diffusion that can absorb or scatter the waves slightly. Beyond that, the pants pocket (depending how low on your body the phone is stored) is next to your pelvis which is a very dense part of your body and may act as more protection (besides the pants themselves) as compared to the bare skin of a woman's chest that is covering the sensitive tissues of the breast. Just pointing out something to consider here.

Some may point out that the skull is also dense and thus you're just as safe storing the phone in your pocket as you are holding it to you head, but when stored the phone is only putting out quick, occasional pulses, as opposed to the continuous full blast during a phone call. And Bluetooth ear pieces only have to transmit a very short distance and thus use much less power compared to the phone that must transmit enough power to reach a cell tower a mile away or more.

I have a feeling that in the next 50 years the cumulative effects of the earliest cell phone generations will be felt in the medical world in one way or another.
    08-27-14 07:20 AM
    Are you a tower technician or something? How did you get access to that antenna?
    Also there are no longer term studies at the effects of these low powered rf waves.
    One thing is for real though the brain activity changes once exposed even to the lowest of radiations.
    Source just attended this long *** seminar about RF exposure.
    Tower Technician here btw.

Posted via my STA100-5 z30
    Not a tower tech, but an amateur radio 'tech'.

That was several years ago when I was new to and active with amateur radio. I forget if the rig was VHF or UHF, but it was a ham band rather than a cell band. I was testing some gear, tweaking the antenna. At one point I started adjusting the antenna while it was still transmitting. Oops.

Anyhow, I've had a fair bit of education about RF and I've been around it for over 15 years... and the aforementioned mistake notwithstanding, I've learned a bit about the health and safety side of things.

Cheers!
    08-27-14 07:47 AM
    Many have brought up the pants pocket or shirt pocket issue. Perhaps the reason that is less dangerous is simply because the clothing itself acts as a small amount of diffusion that can absorb or scatter the waves slightly. Beyond that, the pants pocket (depending how low on your body the phone is stored) is next to your pelvis which is a very dense part of your body and may act as more protection (besides the pants themselves) as compared to the bare skin of a woman's chest that is covering the sensitive tissues of the breast. Just pointing out something to consider here.
    It would have to be a very small barrier, insignificant really in that the plastic/metal parts encasing a phone are not enough of an impediment for signals to reach towers and vice versa.

The link in the thread for SAR rating is illuminating. Seems that the Paratek antenna is not a good thing for those who concerned about cell phone signals but being irrational humans I don't see many BB fans eschewing their phones for Sammy to get away from cell phone cancers.
    08-27-14 07:58 AM
    Totally stupid to compare major lifestyle changes to simply stop sticking your phone down your bra.
    "Stupid is as stupid does"
    Have you read the whole thread? Do you know what sarcasm is? Obviously not. It's not about "major lifestyle changes" as you so eloquently wrote, but more of having common sense when doing things (darn, I forgot....we are humans, we have no common sense) . People have to drive.....do they have to speed and text when they drive??? ....people tan.....do they have to spend hours under the sun instead of doing in moderation? you have to eat....are you gonna go eat at McDonald's everyday??? .....gey my point????........

08-27-14 08:50 AM
    It would have to be a very small barrier, insignificant really in that the plastic/metal parts encasing a phone are not enough of an impediment for signals to reach towers and vice versa.

The link in the thread for SAR rating is illuminating. Seems that the Paratek antenna is not a good thing for those who concerned about cell phone signals but being irrational humans I don't see many BB fans eschewing their phones for Sammy to get away from cell phone cancers.
    What does a paratek antenna have to do with where you store your phone?

As far as your first sentence, you seem to be answering some question that wasn't asked. Perhaps you could also clarify that sentence as well.
    08-27-14 09:02 AM
179 12345 ...