To OP. Why? Nothing wrong with Android. 1000s of devices to choose from. Many apps to choose from. Android may be the phone for you. Phones are personal devices, pick one that does what you want. Only YOU can decide. Your OS options are now BB, Apple, Android, and WP. Each of these OSes has several flavors available. More are coming. You do not need convincing you need to do your homework. Good luck. My next phone is a BB.
    Nice, agreed. Cant stand iPhone and Windows is anathema. Increasingly seems that BB and Android look similar
    02-09-13 12:24 PM
    On laptop, you can toggle All Mail. On device, email will be gone, but it will appear on desktop.
    Yes, "All Mail" is too scary to look at though lol
    02-09-13 12:26 PM
    I wouldn't go with iOS simply because I don't want to get trapped by that ecosystem. I don't want to go to Android simply because of the security implications. You cannot convince me that Android can be locked down sufficiently enough to protect my personal and sensitive business information, read the Infosecurity report from about a month ago to see my point.

The keyboard that BB uses was not, and was never developed by Google, that honour goes to SwiftKey a much different version of which can be bought for Android devices. The version used on BB was co-developed by BB and SwiftKey and is light years ahead of the version you'd have to pay for on an Android device.

Anyhow, stay or go, it's your call.
    Last edited by Jonesy1966; 02-09-13 at 12:52 PM.
    Bobcat665 and BergerKing like this.
    02-09-13 12:29 PM
    There has to be some compelling reasons to not go to Android though.
    Malware - supposd to be bad on Android right?
    Build quality - I'm sure its not as good as BB.

Right??
    Not sure if serious...
    02-09-13 12:31 PM
    I hear you. A lot of good info has come out though. I feel like BB and Android are very closely aligned in many ways. Almost like BB is the high-end Android phone.
    Come again? LOL.
    02-09-13 12:35 PM

Baybee Pee Doan Go!
    02-09-13 12:48 PM
    At your level of technical awareness the choice of device becomes specific to the person, what you like most. I've had 7 of the top tiered Androids but I like Blackberry more. Its how the device integrates with your lifestyle, and how it feels.
    BergerKing likes this.
    02-09-13 01:55 PM
    Interesting. Can I ask which Android you use and any other app or gear tips?
    The Android device I currently use the most is my rooted Nexus 4. I've had it since the first week they went on sale and I use it mostly as my home phone with WiFi. Google Voice gives me unlimited voice minutes and text messaging wherever I have data. When I am away from WiFi, I turn on my T-Mobile data connection and continue to use Google Voice. My Nexus 4 is on T-Mobile's $30 pre-paid plan. That gives you 100 voice minutes, unlimited text messaging and 5GB worth of data. Where I live, T-Mobile's data is always 15 to 24 Mbps for download. That's plenty fast and having Google Voice, plus Groove IP means that I never need to use my T-Mobile number for anything. In fact I've never given out the T-Mo number, I just give everyone my Google Voice digits. $30 per month and I have a fully functional, and full featured smartphone. Can't beat that. Especially when you consider that the Nexus 4 cost $299 to $350 without a contract.
    02-09-13 04:01 PM
    The Android device I currently use the most is my rooted Nexus 4. I've had it since the first week they went on sale and I use it mostly as my home phone with WiFi. Google Voice gives me unlimited voice minutes and text messaging wherever I have data. When I am away from WiFi, I turn on my T-Mobile data connection and continue to use Google Voice. My Nexus 4 is on T-Mobile's $30 pre-paid plan. That gives you 100 voice minutes, unlimited text messaging and 5GB worth of data. Where I live, T-Mobile's data is always 15 to 24 Mbps for download. That's plenty fast and having Google Voice, plus Groove IP means that I never need to use my T-Mobile number for anything. In fact I've never given out the T-Mo number, I just give everyone my Google Voice digits. $30 per month and I have a fully functional, and full featured smartphone. Can't beat that. Especially when you consider that the Nexus 4 cost $299 without a contract.
    I too use Google Voice as my main "give out" number. I can count the people who have my real number on one hand. Google Voice allows me to collate and store my messages ( I work with teens and parents, and gives me a universal number I have used for years (since Grandcentral). So, I call out automatically and receive all calls via GV. Very handy business tool.

I use a rooted EVO LTE that, for me, is unmatched as an all-round hub. Of course, HTC decided to foolish things like locking the bootloader, but the Android developer community is the most vibrant part of the ecosystem... thankfully.
    Saiga likes this.
    02-09-13 04:08 PM
    At your level of technical awareness the choice of device becomes specific to the person, what you like most. I've had 7 of the top tiered Androids but I like Blackberry more. Its how the device integrates with your lifestyle, and how it feels.
    I still love my 9900 ... just can't lose Google ecosystem.
    Can I ask which Android devices you liked?
    BergerKing likes this.
    02-09-13 04:08 PM
    The Android device I currently use the most is my rooted Nexus 4. I've had it since the first week they went on sale and I use it mostly as my home phone with WiFi. Google Voice gives me unlimited voice minutes and text messaging wherever I have data. When I am away from WiFi, I turn on my T-Mobile data connection and continue to use Google Voice. My Nexus 4 is on T-Mobile's $30 pre-paid plan. That gives you 100 voice minutes, unlimited text messaging and 5GB worth of data. Where I live, T-Mobile's data is always 15 to 24 Mbps for download. That's plenty fast and having Google Voice, plus Groove IP means that I never need to use my T-Mobile number for anything. In fact I've never given out the T-Mo number, I just give everyone my Google Voice digits. $30 per month and I have a fully functional, and full featured smartphone. Can't beat that. Especially when you consider that the Nexus 4 cost $299 to $350 without a contract.
    Interesting.
    Not being terribly technical, I'd probably stick with NExus 4 or S3 as I'd be paranoid of bricking the phone if I tried messing with rooting etc.
    BergerKing likes this.
    02-09-13 04:14 PM
    I too use Google Voice as my main "give out" number. I can count the people who have my real number on one hand. Google Voice allows me to collate and store my messages ( I work with teens and parents, and gives me a universal number I have used for years (since Grandcentral). So, I call out automatically and receive all calls via GV. Very handy business tool.

I use a rooted EVO LTE that, for me, is unmatched as an all-round hub. Of course, HTC decided to foolish things like locking the bootloader, but the Android developer community is the most vibrant part of the ecosystem... thankfully.
    Google Voice would be the single strongest reason for me to move from BB to Android. I can't lose it.
    BergerKing likes this.
    02-09-13 04:15 PM
    Nice, thanks, very economical
    BergerKing likes this.
    02-09-13 04:16 PM
    I wouldn't go with iOS simply because I don't want to get trapped by that ecosystem. I don't want to go to Android simply because of the security implications. You cannot convince me that Android can be locked down sufficiently enough to protect my personal and sensitive business information, read the Infosecurity report from about a month ago to see my point.

The keyboard that BB uses was not, and was never developed by Google, that honour goes to SwiftKey a much different version of which can be bought for Android devices. The version used on BB was co-developed by BB and SwiftKey and is light years ahead of the version you'd have to pay for on an Android device.

Anyhow, stay or go, it's your call.
    I much prefer BB security but I wouldn't mess with obscure apps, nor rooting etc.
    Yep, I'm paranoid I'll hate the Android keyboards, but it seems there are alot of app options including an auto text keyboard (FireKeys) which emulate BB virtues.
    BergerKing likes this.
    02-09-13 04:17 PM
    Come again? LOL.
    I meant that BB seems closer to Android than any of the other platforms. Z10 looks like it could almost be a mid to high end Android phone
    BergerKing likes this.
    02-09-13 04:19 PM
    Interesting.
    Not being terribly technical, I'd probably stick with NExus 4 or S3 as I'd be paranoid of bricking the phone if I tried messing with rooting etc.
    That's understandable, but it would be very difficult to screw up a Nexus device. Google supplies a factory restore file that can undo any damage that you may have done to it. The first phone I ever rooted was my Nexus 4, and I'm very happy with the results. Mostly because I have full control of the device now and I can use great apps like Adaway, which completely removes ads from everything. Even other apps.

Another bonus of being rooted is it allows you to easily uninstall preloaded apps that you do not want or wont need. Apps like Google +, Chrome, Google Wallet, and Google Music. If I don't use it. I delete it. And you can also experiment with roms to get customize the device.

But no matter, even in factory new condition, Android devices can use Google Voice and Groove IP to become a very affordable phone. That reason alone is well worth the price of a Nexus 4. I hope BlackBerry 10 eventually gets that kind of functionality. Because I don't think I'm willing to go back to paying 100 or so dollars a month for a cellphone again. Just seems like such a waste of money now.
    02-09-13 04:25 PM
    You know what, OPie? It seems that no matter what anybody here tells you about the pluses and benefits of BB10, you won't be happy staying with BB in any way, shape or form. As others have pointed out, this is NOT an Android forum... Just buy a 'Droid, leave us alone and ****ing go away!

P.S. Will the mods here PLEASE put this thread in the Android section already?
    BKbehave likes this.
    02-09-13 04:42 PM
    leave us alone and ****ing go away!
    He should. I mean, you do own this site, right? No?

Courtesy goes a long way, even on the internet. Thankfully, BBRY is looking for feedback, good and bad. We should all try yo be as open-minded.
    02-09-13 04:46 PM
    Go for whatever is best for you. Follow your heart! x)
    Tre Lawrence and BergerKing like this.
    02-09-13 04:52 PM
    He should. I mean, you do own this site, right? No?

Courtesy goes a long way, even on the internet. Thankfully, BBRY is looking for feedback, good and bad. We should all try yo be as open-minded.
    Oh, I'm all for open discussion - at least to a degree... I just get tired of discussions that just drag on and on to the point of becoming utterly IRRELEVANT.

AND there still is the issue, with you trelawrence, about the concept of a BLACKBERRY FAN SITE that you still don't seem to be understanding at all. I've often wondered what you and others of your ilk consider to be your continuing business here on this forum besides continuously crapping on the BlackBerry brand. Sure, there are pros and cons to all kinds and brands of product BUT seeing your ilk continually harping on the flaws and negatives of BB while constantly praising other brands gets awfully tiring to many of us here. Again, what part of FAN SITE aren't you getting?
    Last edited by Bobcat665; 02-09-13 at 05:19 PM.
    geoffsdad likes this.
    02-09-13 05:09 PM
    1) Not sure about this but might be coming in the update.
    2) Gone, but that just means the data useage will be similar to other phones
    3) Blame Google
    4) Use the browser, supposed to work as well if you just ignore some warning aout the font
    5) Not true. Doesnt come from android. Uses Swiftkey for word prediction, but the adaptive keyboard + swiping gestures + multi language + fret design is all blackberry.
    The browser don't do everything. Won't stream netflix, which is going to ruin it for me. Not sure if it will do Amazon or Hulu Plus either.

The more I see videos and read reviews the more convinced my current phone is much better.

Miss certain things, but unfortunately I would be giving up a lot.

Sent from a galaxy far away!
    BergerKing likes this.
    02-09-13 05:22 PM
    Oh, I'm all for open discussion - at least to a degree... I just get tired of discussions that just drag on and on to the point of becoming utterly IRRELEVANT.

AND there still is the issue, with you trelawrence, about the concept of a BLACKBERRY FAN SITE that you still don't seem to be understanding at all. I've often wondered what you and others of your ilk consider to be your continuing business here on this forum besides continuously crapping on the BlackBerry brand. Sure, there are pros and cons to all kinds and brands of product BUT seeing your ilk continually harping on the flaws and negatives of BB while constantly praising other brands gets awfully tiring to many of us here. Again, what part of FAN SITE aren't you getting?
    Ilk? Really?

We are all united by an interest in BlackBerry. One thing that my, uh, ilk do try to understand that maturity invites discussion. Clearly, to you, that translated to an attack on a fansite. I am not trying to convince you otherwise, and that is cool. Asking you to be courteous to someone asking genuine questions equals "crapping" on BlackBerry.

Wow.

I've been around here too long to feel the need to explain to folks like you (that are driven to such rage to use shielded profanity) why I'm here, but I humbly suggest using the ignore button. it works well, and helps reduce the need for high blood pressure medication. The "report" button also works well to help enforce your views as to the direction this site should go.

Alternatively, you can try to be courteous, respect views and live with my ilk, painful as the proposition is.
    kevinnugent likes this.
    02-09-13 05:28 PM
    The browser don't do everything. Won't stream netflix, which is going to ruin it for me. Not sure if it will do Amazon or Hulu Plus either.

The more I see videos and read reviews the more convinced my current phone is much better.

Miss certain things, but unfortunately I would be giving up a lot.

Sent from a galaxy far away!

I'm looking forward to seeing how it works in person. Reviews tend to be great, but I am looking forward to my own look. I do believe the BB10 is infinitely more competitive though, which is an excellent starting point at the very least.
    02-09-13 05:31 PM

Last I checked this was a MOBILE NATIONS site. If YOU don't like what you're reading, perhaps you should just log off. What does it matter what phone someone uses? This is a community, and if it weren't for a lot of posters here, there would be sooo much misinformation floating around that nobody would know left from right. Unless, of course, that is what you like?

And lastly, if you don't like reading about other viewpoints from other phone users, then you should most definately NOT click on a thread with one in the title!
    BergerKing likes this.
    02-09-13 05:57 PM
    Last I checked this was a MOBILE NATIONS site. If YOU don't like what you're reading, perhaps you should just log off. What does it matter what phone someone uses? This is a community, and if it weren't for a lot of posters here, there would be sooo much misinformation floating around that nobody would know left from right. Unless, of course, that is what you like?

And lastly, if you don't like reading about other viewpoints from other phone users, then you should most definately NOT click on a thread with one in the title!
    You are clearly of my "ilk," dear sir. Shame on you.
    Rickroller likes this.
    02-09-13 06:02 PM
271 ... 34567 ...