ok........so quick question to ya'll...

since im pretty sure BB Maps hasn't been shown off on video yet, i wanna know what you all think are the chances of BB Maps being updated for the new OS? I ask because articles stating that RIM bought the navigation company Dash came out on June 4, 2009, and I haven't seen anything really come out of that purchase yet.

Apparently, dash became a software only company shortly before being bought by RIM. I would love to have some turn by turn navigation on my Playbook.

What ya'll think???
    04-03-11 06:07 PM
    I think only the 3G/4G versions will have built in GPS, and since those won't arrive for a while, I think turn-by-turn navigation is out of the question (for now).
    04-03-11 06:13 PM
    nope.....lol its already been confirmed that the wifi versions will have GPS in them.
    04-03-11 06:21 PM
    nope.....lol its already been confirmed that the wifi versions will have GPS in them.
    Didn't know that, but that's a good move on their part. Still, I am not sure whether turn-by-turn navigation is a priority for RIM or it's core customers. It would be nice, especially for me (coming from an Android device), but considering not much has been said/shown it's probably unlikely.
    04-03-11 06:25 PM
    yeah and thats why im hoping some people can give their opinion on this. They bought dash almost 2 years ago and im pretty sure that Dash's software was capable of turn by turn capabilities before RIM bought them. I just haven't seen/noticed any benefits to us end users out of that purchase
    04-03-11 06:33 PM
    no opinions lol?
    04-03-11 07:08 PM
    no opinions lol?
    It's easier guessing what's in a xmas present than guessing what the pb can or will do.

Maybe Blackberry Traffic will find it's way onto the pb.

BlackBerry App World - BlackBerry Traffic

They're working on a beta 2.0???? now, so you never know.
    04-03-11 08:25 PM
    ok........so quick question to ya'll...

since im pretty sure BB Maps hasn't been shown off on video yet, i wanna know what you all think are the chances of BB Maps being updated for the new OS? I ask because articles stating that RIM bought the navigation company Dash came out on June 4, 2009, and I haven't seen anything really come out of that purchase yet.

Apparently, dash became a software only company shortly before being bought by RIM. I would love to have some turn by turn navigation on my Playbook.

What ya'll think???
    I think that's one of the surprises to come April 19th
    04-03-11 08:36 PM
    I think that's one of the surprises to come April 19th
    Really??? lol see thats what i wanna hear. I'm glad im not the only one that thinks this is a possibility. I just find it a lil suspicious that the maps app hasn't been shown yet, and that almost 2 years after the fact of buying Dash, nothin has come of it, yet that torch browser got implemented super quick.

Its not a deal breaker if it doesn't have it (already got my 64 gb ordered lol) but damn would i be happy if I was buying a 7" turn by turn gps unit and a tablet in one purchase.

Even if it didn't have turn by turn directions, i would hope the Maps application was somewhat updated. Mayb even combining it with BlackBerry Traffic...
    04-03-11 09:12 PM
    Really??? lol see thats what i wanna hear. I'm glad im not the only one that thinks this is a possibility. I just find it a lil suspicious that the maps app hasn't been shown yet, and that almost 2 years after the fact of buying Dash, nothin has come of it, yet that torch browser got implemented super quick.

Its not a deal breaker if it doesn't have it (already got my 64 gb ordered lol) but damn would i be happy if I was buying a 7" turn by turn gps unit and a tablet in one purchase.

Even if it didn't have turn by turn directions, i would hope the Maps application was somewhat updated. Mayb even combining it with BlackBerry Traffic...
    Expect Garmin to jump on it quickly
    04-03-11 09:19 PM
    no opinions lol?
    I have a sneaking suspicion that the PB will have turn-by-turn navigation...

Work just as a tomtom...no data connection required!
    04-03-11 09:43 PM
    Expect Garmin to jump on it quickly
    I have a sneaking suspicion that the PB will have turn-by-turn navigation...

Work just as a tomtom...no data connection required!
    I surely hope it does but @dsquared2, u realize im not talking bout third party turn by turn right lol. Im talkin native software...like android devices have with google maps.
    04-03-11 09:51 PM
    I surely hope it does but @dsquared2, u realize im not talking bout third party turn by turn right lol. Im talkin native software...like android devices have with google maps.
    I know, you just mentioned liking turn by turn on a 7" screen so Garmin already has a BB app, so i was saying expect a PlayBook one.
    04-03-11 09:53 PM
    ughhh i just want this device in my hand so badly. I really want rim to do something with that dash purchase. let me find out i can do free turn by turn, and find out that theres a way to send text messages from the playbook, and it'll never leave my hands lol
    04-03-11 10:11 PM
    We should put QNX's extensive in vehicle experience and software into perspective

I feel PB as far as an in vehicle companion is concerned at launch will have some goodies...

With QNX's automotive expertise the PB at launch should pack goodies as well have a limitless evolution in automotive user experiences.

PB is a prime candidate for Dash Navigation's IP through it's acquisition to be exploited in this form factor! I have a strong feeling we are in for a navigational treat!
    04-03-11 10:11 PM
    We should put QNX's extensive in vehicle experience and software into perspective

I feel PB as far as an in vehicle companion is concerned at launch will have some goodies...

With QNX's automotive expertise the PB at launch should pack goodies as well have a limitless evolution in automotive user experiences.

PB is a prime candidate for Dash Navigation's IP through it's acquisition to be exploited in this form factor! I have a strong feeling we are in for a navigational treat!
    wow......u really bring up a great point with QNX already being used in the automotive industry. I definitely forgot about that. im assuming that maps will be stored on the devices memory since it won't have a data connection at all times.

nav unit and tablet purchase all in one..............

UGHHHHH......what will i do for these next two weeks
    04-03-11 10:19 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD