It does not stand for runtime. Microsoft has never identified what it stands for....
    This...
    I was told this by someone in a BBM group, so I searched and searched to find out for myself; however, I could not find anything at all.

At this point I will listen to anything, because I have no personal knowledge of the Surface myself. LoL.
    shn'g likes this.
    11-20-12 12:30 PM
    It does not stand for runtime. Microsoft has never identified what it stands for. Windows Runtime is a set of tools used to create software. Microsoft often abbreviates it to WinRT. Thus the confusion (and extremely poor naming convention by MS.)
    Seeing as how Micro$oft hasn't said what it stands for, isn't is plausible that it COULD stand for runtime?
    pkcable and shn'g like this.
    11-20-12 01:00 PM
    Sorry I don't find my notebook heavy and there are small cases you can put them in. I think Tablets are overhyped, and I certainly can't make use of anything like a Surface RT, Playbook, or iPad. They simply don't do enough. I use real applications for what I do on "computers," and my smartphone does everything a tablet does and more in most cases.

People are going to buy a Pro for more than a notebook to add a keyboard or whatever to it and use it like a notebook. Sorry, it boggles my mind.
    I think many agree with you.. but at the same time many want a tablet. I have my pc all set up the way I want it and all the applications I want, and still I like having a tablet and tend to reach for it more just because it is right there and nice and portable to. I don't need all the full sized applications. If I had a job that required me to have them on the go then yeah I would get a laptop. But otherwise tablets work great, and last longer on the battery
    11-20-12 06:01 PM
    A good write up
    I'm far more interested in the forthcoming x86 surface, which I might consider getting, than in the RT (which IMO was a mistake for MIcrosoft).
    No it wasn't a mistake, just misunderstood by consumers. People expecting a "real" computer when it is supposed to compete with tablets. What Microsoft should've done was released the Surface Pro and Surface RT at the same time
    shn'g likes this.
    11-20-12 07:52 PM
    No it wasn't a mistake, just misunderstood by consumers. People expecting a "real" computer when it is supposed to compete with tablets. What Microsoft should've done was released the Surface Pro and Surface RT at the same time
    Microsoft markets it as if it's full Windows on a tablet, which we all know is not what the RT is. Sure, if you actually read and understand what that is you shouldn't be surprised when windows programs don't work on it. But most consumers aren't going to go to that much trouble. And Micro$oft knows (or at the very least should know) that. There's no reason a tablet shouldn't be a desktop replacement, and that a tablet competitor shouldn't also be a pc competitor.
    shn'g likes this.
    11-20-12 08:52 PM
    I seriously considered getting a surface, but I just spend 1k on a Win7 Ultrabook with last year's taxes. Maybe with this year's taxes I'll get the Win8 Surface.
    shn'g likes this.
    11-20-12 09:37 PM
    This is a great review comparing these 2 devices and I would like to add to it. I have had blackberry in the past but moved back onto windows phone 7 and then onto wp8 lumia 920. I then decided to buy a playbook a couple of months ago and can honestly say this is a fantastic device and is totally competent with great speakers for media. I then decided to get the surface rt as I have windows 8 aswell as wp8. I sold my playbook and bought surface same day and fully set up and was seriously impressed by the sickness and skydive and contacts integration and so played with it solid for 2 days. Then reality set in and after the initial play I started to realise just how good and underestimated the playbook really is and this is being overlooked judging by how many of these are available second hand. The surface is great but you know what, it actually feels like a laptop lid rather than a tablet and the speakers are just NOT loud enough by any means. It is also irritating that you have two sets of settings to worry about with tiles and desktop and although this is fine for pc use it is cumbersome on a tablet. The browser on the playbook is excellent and is just as good as surface but simpler to use. I returned the surface and re purchased a playbook simply because of the simplicity,security and portability and feel much happier and decluttered. People also need to understand that you do not need a bis plan to use playbook as this just works as does bb10 and you just need to sign up to blackberry.
    So I have come to the conclusion that having a lumia 920 and a playbook on the fly is a great combination using my lumia as wifi hotspot. You know you have got simplistic security of playbook and slick wp8. You can also sideload apps such as skydive so you have best of both worlds. So if you have a playbook ask yourself if you are happy with it and don't just go with a fancy device that may just let you down. Of course a quad core playbook would be perfect. As a point to note also is does the playbook really need bb10????? Is it better??????. The problem these days is that android and ios have completely bulldozed everything else such as bb10,wp8 and the defunct Web os which was also good and could have been fantastic have development continued. I have had iphone 4s, gs3 , bb9900 and pre 3 so I have had all platforms and can honestly say wp8 is definitely the best and playbook is the right size, right price, right funtunality and will not let you down. Hope this helps anyone who is looking to get rid of their playbook in a rush.
    03-16-13 06:12 AM
    This is a great review comparing these 2 devices and I would like to add to it. I have had blackberry in the past but moved back onto windows phone 7 and then onto wp8 lumia 920. I then decided to buy a playbook a couple of months ago and can honestly say this is a fantastic device and is totally competent with great speakers for media. I then decided to get the surface rt as I have windows 8 aswell as wp8. I sold my playbook and bought surface same day and fully set up and was seriously impressed by the sickness and skydive and contacts integration and so played with it solid for 2 days. Then reality set in and after the initial play I started to realise just how good and underestimated the playbook really is and this is being overlooked judging by how many of these are available second hand. The surface is great but you know what, it actually feels like a laptop lid rather than a tablet and the speakers are just NOT loud enough by any means. It is also irritating that you have two sets of settings to worry about with tiles and desktop and although this is fine for pc use it is cumbersome on a tablet. The browser on the playbook is excellent and is just as good as surface but simpler to use. I returned the surface and re purchased a playbook simply because of the simplicity,security and portability and feel much happier and decluttered. People also need to understand that you do not need a bis plan to use playbook as this just works as does bb10 and you just need to sign up to blackberry.
    So I have come to the conclusion that having a lumia 920 and a playbook on the fly is a great combination using my lumia as wifi hotspot. You know you have got simplistic security of playbook and slick wp8. You can also sideload apps such as skydive so you have best of both worlds. So if you have a playbook ask yourself if you are happy with it and don't just go with a fancy device that may just let you down. Of course a quad core playbook would be perfect. As a point to note also is does the playbook really need bb10????? Is it better??????. The problem these days is that android and ios have completely bulldozed everything else such as bb10,wp8 and the defunct Web os which was also good and could have been fantastic have development continued. I have had iphone 4s, gs3 , bb9900 and pre 3 so I have had all platforms and can honestly say wp8 is definitely the best and playbook is the right size, right price, right funtunality and will not let you down. Hope this helps anyone who is looking to get rid of their playbook in a rush.
    03-16-13 06:20 AM
    Thanks for the comparison I really want to get a Surface, but how much is it exactly? Because I paid $499+ tax for my PlayBook on launch day and thought the Surface was the same price? But the pro version carries the hefty price tag?
    03-16-13 10:29 AM
    Thanks for the comparison I really want to get a Surface, but how much is it exactly? Because I paid $499+ tax for my PlayBook on launch day and thought the Surface was the same price? But the pro version carries the hefty price tag?
    I thought the Pro version is like a thousand or so...much, much more expensive.

Although the Pro is an interesting idea but with the limited internal memory, it will not replace a laptop by any means. If I recall, it has something like 132 GB or so internal memory. My one work file is 160 GB. People who do light work and don't rely on sophisticated software (that eat lots of memory) may find Pro useful, but others like me whose line of work requires a powerful PC, the Pro just doesn't cut it yet.

Posted via CB10 on my Z10
    tedwud likes this.
    03-16-13 10:58 AM
    Thanks for the write up OP. I appreciate the comparison of both devices from your own perspective. Thanks for the info.

Posted via CB10 from my spectacular Z10
    03-16-13 04:01 PM
36 12