Will the PlayBook have a GPS? Because I was doing some research and saw that some websites were saying that the PlayBook will come with a GPS and others say its not. So i'm confused...???

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    11-30-10 01:57 AM
    During the last webcast they confirmed it will have GPS.

11-30-10 06:49 AM
    im not sure, it could have assisted gps like the ipad
    11-30-10 06:50 AM
    Assisted GPS requires a cell connection. Even then, most A-GPS chips can run in standalone mode when there's no network connection available. I'm pretty sure it will work just fine as a standalone GPS device.
    11-30-10 11:20 AM
    Assisted GPS requires a cell connection. Even then, most A-GPS chips can run in standalone mode when there's no network connection available. I'm pretty sure it will work just fine as a standalone GPS device.
    really? i was reading up on the ipad and they were saying the wifi and wifi+3G versions had a-gps.
    11-30-10 02:01 PM
    Isn't a real GPS system better than assisted GPS?

11-30-10 03:18 PM
    really? i was reading up on the ipad and they were saying the wifi and wifi+3G versions had a-gps.
    From Apple - iPad - View the technical specifications for iPad. : Assisted GPS (Wi-Fi + 3G model)

That means it has GPS on the model with 3G and WiFi, NOT that both models have them.

Isn't a real GPS system better than assisted GPS?
    In general, no. There used to be (several years ago) chips that worked ONLY in assisted mode, I'd say that's worse than plain GPS. But almost all the modern A-GPS chips support plain GPS, and can use the cell network to assist in getting a faster fix.
    11-30-10 04:08 PM
    From Apple - iPad - View the technical specifications for iPad. : Assisted GPS (Wi-Fi + 3G model)

That means it has GPS on the model with 3G and WiFi, NOT that both models have them.

In general, no. There used to be (several years ago) chips that worked ONLY in assisted mode, I'd say that's worse than plain GPS. But almost all the modern A-GPS chips support plain GPS, and can use the cell network to assist in getting a faster fix.
    yikes i need to find the review i read and tell them theyre wrongo

here it is

Apple iPad: Does it have 'real' GPS? (updated: yes and no) | ZDNet
    11-30-10 04:10 PM
    has this been confirmed? I know that I can use google maps through the Phone to Playbook connectivity but having onboard GPS with it's own maps app would be just perfect.
    12-05-10 03:32 AM
    has this been confirmed? I know that I can use google maps through the Phone to Playbook connectivity but having onboard GPS with it's own maps app would be just perfect.
    We've got confirmation of "geolocation" capabilities. It's pretty clear that will be GPS, though hasn't been stated explicitly. I can't imagine they'd put in the compass and then no GPS.
    12-05-10 05:51 PM
    My take from the Webcast was that the GPS info would come from the attached phone......
    12-06-10 06:31 AM
    My take from the Webcast was that the GPS info would come from the attached phone......
    I didn't get that. I asked a question specifically about the GPS and was told it had one and that the features would be available through AIR. Same for the compass. I believe it has a gyroscope as well but definitely accelerometers.
    12-06-10 09:26 AM
    They were quite clear on the webcast today that the PlayBook does have its own GPS.
    12-09-10 02:17 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD