Run os 7 in the emulator on the classic and future tool belt devices. Unlike android it would run as good or better than a 9900. Allow the user to choose between android and os 7 emulation. Set the noc services as a $5 a month subscription. The user could flip between a bb10 or os 7 environment. The classic would sell like hot cakes.

Posted via CB10
    sum one likes this.
    05-14-15 07:01 AM
    it's an idea for sure!
    05-14-15 08:20 AM
    It is not only "a plan", it's the exact same plan BB had back in 2010. Unfortunately (well, maybe fortunately), BB wasn't able to get it to work, and abandoned this plan pretty early on.

The thing is, it isn't BBOS apps that are holding people back from moving to BB10 phones, and it never was. For most current BBOS users (who are in emerging markets [Indonesia, Malaysia, South Africa, Nigeria], BTW), the issue is price - they bought BBOS to use BBM and because BBOS phones were cheap. Those same users now want modern apps - not BBOS apps - and they're buying cheap Android phones instead of much more expensive BB10 phones. They can still use BBM on their Android phone, so for them, it's the best of both worlds.

Most BBOS users in the 1st World are still using BBOS because it's a work-issued phone and their company either has yet to upgrade from BES 5 or has no intention of ever doing so. Very few 1st-Worlders are still using BBOS as individual consumers - they've moved on already, either to BB10 or to the competition.
    serbanescu likes this.
    05-14-15 09:35 AM
    Also the BIS based cheap data plans in Africa are keeping BBOS alive in this region. There still BBOS units in use in first world countries but these users are using these devices for texting and emailing where they can get by with the lowest data plan or even just on Wifi.

Posted via CB10
    Last edited by Bbnivende; 05-14-15 at 01:08 PM.
    LuvULongTime likes this.
    05-14-15 10:22 AM
    There is no more development of BBOS - the developers were either let go (most of them) or were reassigned to other tasks. There aren't going to be any more BBOS devices.
    Bbnivende likes this.
    05-14-15 01:08 PM
    It is not only "a plan", it's the exact same plan BB had back in 2010. Unfortunately (well, maybe fortunately), BB wasn't able to get it to work, and abandoned this plan pretty early on.

The thing is, it isn't BBOS apps that are holding people back from moving to BB10 phones, and it never was. For most current BBOS users (who are in emerging markets [Indonesia, Malaysia, South Africa, Nigeria], BTW), the issue is price - they bought BBOS to use BBM and because BBOS phones were cheap. Those same users now want modern apps - not BBOS apps - and they're buying cheap Android phones instead of much more expensive BB10 phones. They can still use BBM on their Android phone, so for them, it's the best of both worlds.

Most BBOS users in the 1st World are still using BBOS because it's a work-issued phone and their company either has yet to upgrade from BES 5 or has no intention of ever doing so. Very few 1st-Worlders are still using BBOS as individual consumers - they've moved on already, either to BB10 or to the competition.
    There is no more development of BBOS - the developers were either let go (most of them) or were reassigned to other tasks. There aren't going to be any more BBOS devices.
    Quoted for truth.

Re-adding BIS (the other "master plan") won't work either, since it's becoming less palatable for carriers by the day. Especially if, if I remember correctly, Thorsten Heins managed to **** that up too.
    05-14-15 02:52 PM
    Best way to get BBOS users over is to convert, maybe to BlackBerry, maybe to something else, is to kill off BIS. BlackBerry has never had a problem taking a dump on customers, so **** off the last group and see what happens. They will likely most go to cheap Android, but again, they are not BlackBerry's target market now anyway so F em!

Posted via CB10
    05-14-15 03:17 PM
    BlackBerry not dead yet in Nigeria.

http://www.nigerianbulletin.com/thre...erians.110964/

Posted via CB10
    05-15-15 01:49 AM
    Quoted for truth.

Re-adding BIS (the other "master plan") won't work either, since it's becoming less palatable for carriers by the day. Especially if, if I remember correctly, Thorsten Heins managed to **** that up too.
    Funny that carriers in UK still sell BIS contracts or prepay even though they don't sell any more BBOS devices.

Doesn't sound like the carrier's don't like it to me
    05-15-15 03:45 AM
    Best way to get BBOS users over is to convert, maybe to BlackBerry, maybe to something else, is to kill off BIS. BlackBerry has never had a problem taking a dump on customers, so **** off the last group and see what happens. They will likely most go to cheap Android, but again, they are not BlackBerry's target market now anyway so F em!

Posted via CB10
    That would be like literally throwing money in the bin, I'm sure share holders want to maximise revenues not cut them even further.
    05-15-15 03:47 AM
    Funny that carriers in UK still sell BIS contracts or prepay even though they don't sell any more BBOS devices.

The problem with SAF is that unlike generic data, it's an add-on fee carriers have to pay to BB. So you can imagine how much they like that. Now sure, if the demand for BBs (especially pre-BB10 types) was there, I'm sure they would (begrudgingly) eat it like they did in BB's heyday, but in most places, that demand is just not there. So investing in a system that props up this declining, and unpopular revenue stream doesn't make sense.
    Of course, you do seem convinced that the entire universe operates exactly like the mile around your house, so any more is just wasting forum space.

Posted via CB10
    LuvULongTime likes this.
    05-15-15 03:51 AM
    Of course, you do seem convinced that the entire universe operates exactly like the mile around your house, so any more is just wasting forum space.

Posted via CB10
    I said UK, which is a tad bigger then a mile around my house.
    05-15-15 04:45 AM
    That would be like literally throwing money in the bin, I'm sure share holders want to maximise revenues not cut them even further.
    Not his target. I'm sure he can double talk his way around it until the mythical software revenues he keeps talking about kick in.

Posted via CB10
    05-15-15 05:30 AM

I think they neither like it or dislike bis, the fact is, they don't care. Bis is in the past now and will slowly fade away. BlackBerry will pull the plug at some point when they decide it's not viable anymore.

Via Passport
    05-15-15 08:28 AM
    Run os 7 in the emulator on the classic and future tool belt devices. Unlike android it would run as good or better than a 9900. Allow the user to choose between android and os 7 emulation. Set the noc services as a $5 a month subscription. The user could flip between a bb10 or os 7 environment. The classic would sell like hot cakes.

Posted via CB10
    They should have offered BlackBerry 10 devices to BlackBerry 7 users at a very enticing price from the beginning, they maybe still could (how many z10's, q5's and q10's are left).

Via Passport
    05-15-15 08:32 AM
    It has nothing to do with price.

BIS is 1 key and other BOLD is the other (small form factor, better software keyboard belt integration). Price, they could easily issue a stripped down q5 or z10 leap whatever for 200 and it still wouldn't sell.
    05-15-15 08:57 AM
    BIS and hand me down phones is keeping BBOS alive in Africa. I think that a cheap Q5/ Z10 that offered BIS would sell in some parts of the world.

Posted via CB10
    05-15-15 09:14 AM
    Time to let go of the past and focus on the future. As others have said, BBOS was popular due to cheap data via BIS, BBM, and inexpensive devices like the Curve. Those days are over. Their are plenty of infinitely better and cheaper android devices available for purchase. The only thing missing is BIS. In developed markets this is not a big deal as data plans are becoming more relaxed and cost effective. In emerging markets it is still somewhat of a factor, but let's not kid ourselves here, eventually data allowances and cost will catch up over there too making BIS negligible.
    05-15-15 09:49 AM
    Without bbos users there isn't a BlackBerry left. Why would Chen want to walk away from that service revenue. If carriers don't want to pay it move the subscription to the end user and leverage the noc for encrypted emails and encrypted calls over wifi. Security and privacy is important to BlackBerry customers it's probably why most of us still use BlackBerry .

It seems crazy to me that from the start of bb10 development BlackBerry never provided legacy users a enticement to switch over to bb10. It's like they decided to try to clone the parts they liked from android and ios and wrap it in a ui stolen from webos. When it failed they doubled down on it. Glad I'm not a shareholder.

Posted via CB10
    05-15-15 11:00 AM