When you get a new BB, does the PIN stay with you or do you get a new one. Im asking this because, I wanna know if I have to invite all my contacts over again on new BB.
    05-28-09 03:10 PM
    Your PIN is device specific. You will have to notify everyone of your new pin.
    05-28-09 03:11 PM
    I was afraid of this. Does'nt anyone think this was a huge mistake on RIMS part?
    05-28-09 03:16 PM
    I was afraid of this. Does'nt anyone think this was a huge mistake on RIMS part?
    Why would it be a mistake? What if RIM bricks a device? Then they just transfer that PIN to another device. What was the purpose of bricking the other device if you can just transfer the PIN? It's a very smart on RIMs part.
    05-28-09 03:19 PM

You don't need to notify anyone. Do one of two things

1) Make a Backup. When you get the new phone Restore that
    backup to the new phone. All your settings, contacts calendar
    entries, etc will come over.

2) If you have both phone open Desktop Manager and run the
    Device Switch Wizard. When it finishes the two phones will be
    carbon copies.

In either case, your contacts will barely notice you were gone.
    05-28-09 03:20 PM
    Yep A G has it right on. We did option 2 with mine and nobody ever knew until I told them...
    05-28-09 03:25 PM

no its not a mistake if you use Device manager to switch devices all your contacts automatically get your new pin and it it works so fast they don't even know you changed your pin...

so its not that bad..

A pin is not just used for BB Messenger it is also how emails are sent to your device through BIS and BES...

if your pin was transferable someone could get your pin and get your emails . because its device specific you can change your pin in BIS and your emails will get sent to the new device and you wont have any issues..

its actually a very secure thing..
    05-28-09 03:37 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD