i know its been discussed before but recently any haks or anytin come out that allow bbm over wifi as im going into a roaming zone and dont feel like paying robers rates
    01-24-09 12:07 AM
    Yes...

I just got back from a trip to the US and experimented with this. I left data on at times as regular BIS email uses very little data and costs very little.

But most of the time I set my phone to - Mobile Network Options / Data Services - Off when Roaming. This way my phone still worked and when I enabled wifi, all my BIS and BBM worked like a charm.

Your other option is, if you want to turn your phone off as well, is to - Mobile Network Options / Off - then turn wifi on.

I BBM'd my brother, he didnt answer until later. Then I BBM'd one of my Crackberry.com frieds and we BBM'd when I was on WiFi

So, once again... Awesome, because it works
    01-24-09 12:15 AM
    It works great. I was at a place that had zero reception but wifi was open. I connected to the wifi and pins started rolling in and I was able to respond as well.
    01-24-09 12:39 AM
    wait uh, what? BBM works through wifi now??
    01-24-09 01:18 AM
    wait uh, what? BBM works through wifi now??
    Yup, did for me. Rogers user from Canada in US with "data off when roaming" or "Mobile Network off" Wifi on and it worked.

I had read mixed info on this in the past, hence I wanted to test it specifically when roaming in the US. This will be even more important when going overseas, where it's even more crazy expensive.

Very pleased!

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    01-24-09 01:35 AM
    WOW THIS IS ******* GREAT im so exited i unlocked my bold to use an att sim card.... no reason now
    01-24-09 12:34 PM
    If BIS works oer wifi I'd assume BBM does too. All connects to RIM's servers.
    01-24-09 12:41 PM
    is it really true?
    07-01-09 04:48 AM
    i turned off the phones radio and BBM and everything else besides texting and the phone work over wifi.
    07-01-09 05:15 AM
    are you sure that BBM work with wifi?

wowwwww, its so awesomeee

i thought they only use BIS
    07-01-09 07:01 AM
    Confirm

i just tested it, its work over wifii

wowww, so coolllllll
    07-01-09 07:11 AM
    I'm looking forward to testing this out. If its true, I'm gonna let a few friends of mine who have a blackberry but no data plan (which is dumb if you ask me), in on the secret!

07-01-09 07:29 AM
    I tried this a while back. I turned off my mobile network and just left the Wifi on and I was still able to send BBM messages. If I'm not mistaken, this will ONLY work if you have the BlackBerry data plan (BIS/BES).
    07-01-09 08:24 AM
    This won't work for people that don't pay for the data...it works for people who pay for data and are off the network (and connected via wifi)...

RIM doesn't recognize people that don't have data, because they don't have BIS, which is what allows you to use BBM.

07-01-09 09:07 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD