Recently I was out at coffee shops in my city that I KNOW have public Wifi available. I can connect to wifi at my house just fine, but when I find the coffee house's public network and try to connect, I get a message that says something like "This network uses a PIN to connect, that your Blackberry will generate." When I hit ok, it take me to a screen with a message, a group of numbers and then it counts down from 5 minutes. I have that long to connect to the network or else the request is cancelled.

I am new to Wifi with a Blackberry and I have tried every way to input this number, and it never works. Does anyone know what this is, or how to get around it and connect to the network? I'm sorry I can't remember the exact message since I am at my house and can't re-create the problem.
    01-24-10 02:15 PM
    it sounds more or less like a security for the wifi. not familiar with it, but have you considering asking the coffee shop employees to assist or inform if the aware of how to resolve the issue
    01-24-10 02:20 PM
    it sounds more or less like a security for the wifi. not familiar with it, but have you considering asking the coffee shop employees to assist or inform if the aware of how to resolve the issue
    I actually didn't think of that. I suppose I don't know what they can do exactly since there is not a problem with getting connected with a computer. Just with the blackberry, and the pin is generated by my phone and is different every time.

It's almost like there is a special way I need to input this pin but I can't figure out how. And I have tried every way possible. Just hitting the number buttons, hitting alt + the number buttons, looking at the menu, seeing if there is an actual input area I'm missing. There isn't an 'OK' button to hit, just a cancel. haha.
    01-24-10 02:25 PM
    I got the same issue, need to type in a PIN to hook up to an open network.

Apparentlym its the router that is enabled with Wi-Fi Protected Setup™

Connect to a Wi-Fi network using the PIN method

What is most annoying for me is that my friend with the iPh0ne can connect to the open network without using a PIN.

Wonder if there is a workaround or 3rd party app, I do not see the benefits of entering the PIN on an unprotected network?! Thanks,

A.
    04-27-10 04:43 AM
    I got the same issue, need to type in a PIN to hook up to an open network.

Apparentlym its the router that is enabled with Wi-Fi Protected Setup�

Connect to a Wi-Fi network using the PIN method

What is most annoying for me is that my friend with the iPh0ne can connect to the open network without using a PIN.

Wonder if there is a workaround or 3rd party app, I do not see the benefits of entering the PIN on an unprotected network?! Thanks,

A.
    Tks for the info anderl. I don't think I would have figured this out on my own.

Good Luck
    04-27-10 08:28 AM
    Thanks, I could ask but then I make a fool out of myself while my friend with his iPhone connects without asking for the pin

BTW if you ask for a PIN in a coffee shop in the Netherlands you probably get something else than u expect
    04-27-10 09:07 AM
    Recently I was out at coffee shops in my city that I KNOW have public Wifi available. I can connect to wifi at my house just fine, but when I find the coffee house's public network and try to connect, I get a message that says something like "This network uses a PIN to connect, that your Blackberry will generate." When I hit ok, it take me to a screen with a message, a group of numbers and then it counts down from 5 minutes. I have that long to connect to the network or else the request is cancelled.

I am new to Wifi with a Blackberry and I have tried every way to input this number, and it never works. Does anyone know what this is, or how to get around it and connect to the network? I'm sorry I can't remember the exact message since I am at my house and can't re-create the problem.
    If I remember, correctly, I just hit 'cancel' and it connects just fine. Can't remember exactly what the choices are. Happens to me, at Culver's all the time.
    04-27-10 05:35 PM
    You need to enter the PIN generated by the BB into the router using the interface, for coffee places or other public open Wifi this is completely useless.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    04-28-10 02:07 AM
    You don't need to do this. PIN is just a secure way to share your mac address with the router. The only thing you need to do when it asks for the PIN is just press the back button the one on the rights side of the trackpad/trackball - and you will be referred to the interface that does not require PIN.

PIN is just to ensure that you are connected to a trusted network. Iphone has nothing on you - its just blackberry has an extra option. I do not use PIN with my home network and this is how I did it press the back key and just enter my passkey or if there is no passkey just press connect.
    04-28-10 08:50 PM
    thanks for the info!
    06-22-10 06:59 AM
    Does this work with the back button? It did not work for me

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    06-22-10 07:29 AM
    Ahhhhh....I had started a thread just before about connecting to router win pin. I am so new to this world too...lol and was wondering the same. I was reading to complet how to guide for wifi, or something like that on here because I never set up my wifi. So I was getting that same messege at home, which was driving me nutz therefor started the thread. But I just selected the blue highlighted back button and I think that solved it, I was connected. At least I think I am since it says linksys home above the date and time on my bb and it's all checked green in connections.
    06-30-10 08:17 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD