:[ read the title.
    01-24-09 07:32 PM
    Yes it does. It goes through RIMs servers.
    01-24-09 07:33 PM
    all blackberry's will require a data plan to be accompanied with them.
    01-24-09 07:33 PM
    all blackberry's will require a data plan to be accompanied with them.
    You need to clarify what you have written. Not all providers require a data plan for a BlackBerry. A data plan is required to use BlackBerry Messenger.
    01-24-09 07:49 PM
    You need to clarify what you have written. Not all providers require a data plan for a BlackBerry. A data plan is required to use BlackBerry Messenger.
    What provider can you use a blackberry on without having a data plan attached to it?

maybe if you are using an unlocked phone?
    01-24-09 07:54 PM
    Tmobile for one.
    01-24-09 08:03 PM
    you can have a tmobile branded blackberry on tmobile with no blackberry data package?
    01-24-09 08:06 PM
    Also AT&T.
    01-24-09 08:06 PM
    Duh... Got me by a minute

AT&T for another

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    01-24-09 08:07 PM
    hm, well i am proven wrong then. i do apologize for the wrong information. i know sadly verizon wont activate it without that plan.
    01-24-09 08:07 PM

And we can be more specific on this as well... A blackberry data plan (BIS or BES) is needed, not just any data plan is needed for BBM.
    01-24-09 08:08 PM

And we can be more specific on this as well... A blackberry data plan (BIS or BES) is needed, not just any data plan is needed for BBM.
    im slightly confused by that statement, could you clarify this for me? was i correct or incorrect in my thinking that in order to have a blackberry active, you need it to have a blackberry plan through the carrier, either BIS or BES...
    01-24-09 08:10 PM
    im slightly confused by that statement, could you clarify this for me? was i correct or incorrect in my thinking that in order to have a blackberry active, you need it to have a blackberry plan through the carrier, either BIS or BES...

I was only adding to the person I quoted. What I'm saying is that having a medianet plan or pda connect plan won't afford you the ability to use bbm. Only a blackberry data plan.

He wanted you to clarify your statement and I felt his line could have been as well.
    01-24-09 08:16 PM
    I have a Data plan, hence my BBM works. Though, my BBM works when I'm on wifi only with data turned off... as I noted here from recent experience http://forums.crackberry.com/f83/pin-over-wifi-143976/

I'm thinking the pin over wifi would not have worked had I not had a data plan to begin with... That's my thought
    01-24-09 08:19 PM
    Duvi,
    Thanks for clarifying, helpful as always!

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    01-24-09 08:22 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD