Hi i dont know if this is the right place for this but...

I just got my blackberry today and i have been trying to add a friend on BBM (newest version) and it wont let me write any letters. I can write letters everywhere else and i can write the numbers but when i need to write the letter his pin has it just doesnt do anything or a number appears. Im on OS 5. I have no clue whats wrong and i am pretty upset over this. When i select the add contact with pin option as long as im writing numbers its ok, when i write a letter it automatically switches over to Email: and i no longer have a pin option.

Edit: He also tried to add me but he got a msg that my pin was wrong, which it wasnt. and He also tried to add me by email for him it all went ok but i never received the invite
    Last edited by BBaddie; 02-06-11 at 01:46 AM.
    02-06-11 01:39 AM
    I suggest you compose an email to your friend and send him your pin number by typing this: mypin (and hit return). This will display your actual device pin. Email it to him and then he can copy and paste your pin into a BBM invitation. To do this you open your BBM app and click on "invite contact". Choose Enter a person's email address, PIN or name and paste the PIN # in there and click send. You should receive the invitation in your message notification.
    Last edited by BlackStormRising; 02-06-11 at 02:13 AM.
    02-06-11 02:04 AM
    I tried composing the email and even sent it to myself "mypin" is simply sent as that. doesnt change to actual numbers. I tried to send him a pin to pin message or whatever that is and even tho it let me type in his pin, as soon as i pressed enter everything from letters onward disappeared and only left me the numbers before the first letter i put in
    02-06-11 03:22 AM
    From where did you purchase your BlackBerry? Is there any possibility that it is a fake/counterfeit device?

The fact that you can't type letters for the PIN and your PIN is coming back to your friend as being the wrong PIN is very odd.

Have you tried copying and pasting your friend's PIN into the BBM invite?

And do you have a BLACKBERRY Data Plan with your carrier? The fact that your friend sent you a request and you never received it typically means that your PIN is not active with the BlackBerry Internet Service.
    02-06-11 08:42 AM
    You have to put a space or a punctuation after the n in mypin for the autotext replace to work.

Based on your last post, I suspect something is wrong with your device. Have you rebooted? With the phone on, remove the battery, leave it out for a few seconds, then put it back. When the phone finishes rebooting, try again.

Did you buy the BlackBerry new from a carrier store? Is this your first BlackBerry? It's possible your account wasn't provisioned correctly. The simplest solution may be for you to call Customer Service and explain the difficulty.

EDIT: Momma and I are on the same track, her bike just accelerates a lot faster...
    02-06-11 08:46 AM
    Hey guys thanks for your responses.

Bought the phone from an O2 store, yes its my first one.

I took it in the store today and the woman managed to add herself just fine. The person im trying to add has had their blackberry for quite a while so they arent doing anything wrong. I am on a blackberry data plan.

The way things look like right now is the pin they are giving me is wrong. Ill have him send me an email with his pin and try it out that way.

Have you ever come across a problem where a valid pin appears as invalid?
    02-06-11 09:26 AM
    Have your friend use "mypin " to put the pin in his email. If he's a longtime BlackBerry user he should know how to do that, but he should also know his correct pin, so there is still some mystery to your problem. Pins are unique to a specific device. There is no legitimate way to have an incorrect pin on a device.
    02-06-11 09:39 AM
    ...edit: Momma and i are on the same track, her bike just accelerates a lot faster...
    lol!
    02-06-11 10:37 AM
    To the OP, when you go to Options > Status, your PIN should be listed.
    02-06-11 10:39 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD