Hi

I just got a 8320 which I will unlock to use in Europe on Wifi and keep in my car here in california just in case I need to check something at starbucks etc on the free Wifi.

I will NOT be using BIS or BES , just the wifi

What is the best web browser for the 8320 Curve ? Opera Mini 4 or ????

a few other things I would like to do if possible
    listen to radio like BBC
    google maps
    weather but I can do on Opera mini I think
    Europe road conditions might also help,

and is there a way to use Skype or Magicjack to call back to the USA on Wifi with the blackberry ?

I guess I just want to make the BB into a WiFI PDA

thanks for your ideas

VW

PS....I have an old 7520 Boostberry now, it works for slow checking things on the internet, but its not going to work in Europe......
    09-06-10 05:44 PM
    The Google apps (including Google Maps) will not work without a BlackBerry Data Plan even over WiFi.

Many/most applications that use data will not work without a BlackBerry Data Plan even over WiFi. You will really have to search around for ones that will work without a data plan.

You can't use Skype. The only Skype application currently out for BlackBerry only works on Verizon devices, only on the Verizon network and only in the US.
    09-06-10 06:25 PM
    The Google apps (including Google Maps) will not work without a BlackBerry Data Plan even over WiFi.
    Is a BB on WiFi just like a Nokia etc ?
    I know some use Android and some use windows Mobile but does the BB operating system require its own programs ?

Its OK if they do not work and I can just get a web browser to work like Opera Mini.

but it would be nice to have other things too

But when I go to Europe I am in 6-7 countries, many just to drive thru for a few hours,
    I have my regular cell phone with German Sim which will work even if expensive in all these countries,
    09-06-10 07:05 PM
    sounds like you would be better off getting a netbook. i like google voice for a net phone not sure if it works outside US tho

not many choices for browser i usely like opera mini on my phones but on the BB the native browser seems to work best. even more so after you master the shortcut keys
    Last edited by lysergic; 09-06-10 at 07:36 PM.
    09-06-10 07:32 PM
    Is a BB on WiFi just like a Nokia etc ?
    No. A BlackBerry is nothing like a Nokia (or any other device).

I know some use Android and some use windows Mobile but does the BB operating system require its own programs ?
    Applications designed for other devices won't work on BlackBerry either.

Most BlackBerry applications are programmed to require a BlackBerry Data plan. Some do not require it and will work over WiFi without a data plan. But those are few and far between.

All of the Google applications require a BlackBerry Data Plan.

Its OK if they do not work and I can just get a web browser to work like Opera Mini.

but it would be nice to have other things too
    Opera Mini will work. Many other things will not. If you go into the "How To" forum, there's a long running thread (or maybe more than one) on the details of using WiFi.

But when I go to Europe I am in 6-7 countries, many just to drive thru for a few hours, I have my regular cell phone with German Sim which will work even if expensive in all these countries,
    The BlackBerry will work as a phone (if unlocked) with a German SIM. Data is completely different on a BlackBerry.
    09-06-10 08:03 PM
    sounds like you would be better off getting a netbook.
    I have a netbook, well I broke the screen but could fix it , but I really only need to get to email and maybe ebay , my Boostberry works Ok for that .

So I would like something I can just throw in my pocket and I can even use the camera

VW
    09-06-10 08:31 PM
    I have been playing with it some here at home, the BB browser works OK,
    but I downloaded Opera Mini 4.0 and 3.0 but both of them would not start up,

the you tube player would not work
    the internet radio player also did not work,

so the only thing that did work was the original BB browser on WiFi

How do I delete the none working programs ?

and does anyone have names and links to ones that do work on a 8320

thanks
    VW
    09-07-10 08:10 AM
    Opera Mini works fine without a BlackBerry data plan, but little else will.
    09-07-10 08:52 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD