04-08-12 12:46 AM
29 12
tools
    Say you are in a restaurant with friends and one of them lays his BB on the table. You pick it up for a look. What happens?

I've noticed that, there is a sudden silence, not just from the owner but from the others also. You have just crossed a line and invaded very personal space. Blackberries are so vital to their owners life and livelihood that they are sacrosanct. "do not touch"

This may be true with other phones, but I have noticed it more with BB owners. I would like to hear what others think.

My thought is that this very personal, visceral bond with your BB would be an excellent and immediately recognizable theme in future advertising for RIM.

I may be full of it, if so be gentle.
    04-07-12 04:45 AM
    Thats a big NO NO, you can look but don't touch lol
    MADBRADNYC likes this.
    04-07-12 04:51 AM
    You describe the exact raeson my phone never leaves my own hand. Others may look but touching is reserved for special demonstrations and not for the casual question. Touch my phone at your own risk.
    MADBRADNYC likes this.
    04-07-12 06:42 AM
    I'm the same with any of my phones, though. I flinch whenever someone wants to pick up my iPhone, simply because it's so delicate. I don't want them to accidentally drop it and crack the screen! The only thing I miss about BB is the sturdiness of the device. I dropped my Torch 9800 numerous times on pavement and concrete and yeah, it suffered a few dings, but the screen never cracked.
    04-07-12 06:45 AM
    Yep.
    Why not just touch my wife to get a "look"?
    It's my secondary life partner, that knows all my secrets and everything private about me.

BlackBerry owners are also very security conscious. We learn very early NOT to let people handle our devices due to easily downloadable spyware.

I won't even leave my device on a table filled with friends while I go to the restroom.
    04-07-12 06:52 AM
    Look with your eyes, not with your hands. If I hand my phone to anybody else I hit K first to lock it. That's as far as I go
    04-07-12 06:59 AM
    It's true of every phone. I'd never touch someone else's phone without permission. I rarely ask for that.

There's a lot of personal information on phones as well as conversations, emails, photos, ect.

It's like looking through someone's wallet.
    04-07-12 07:02 AM
    Yep.
    Why not just touch my wife to get a "look"?
    It's my secondary life partner, that knows all my secrets and everything private about me.

BlackBerry owners are also very security conscious. We learn very early NOT to let people handle our devices due to easily downloadable spyware.

I won't even leave my device on a table filled with friends while I go to the restroom.
    Thank you for the offer! very generous

I leave my BlackBerry locked, so people can pick it up, they'll be able to feel how great the device is to hold in the hand, but wont be digging through any personal information or business information.

from the lock screen all you see if my name, a request to return, an email address and alternate phone number
    MADBRADNYC and harshalbid271 like this.
    04-07-12 07:03 AM
    ya thats so true..."the look" happens all the time, usually and sometimes followed by a wtf if there is any physical contact with the phone lol
    04-07-12 07:25 AM
    So true! I rarely leave my phone laying around when other people are around and if someone does pick it up, I got my eye on them

I always lock my phone when not in use, so they cannot do anything with it. One of my friends have tired to "guess my password" but once she saw she had 2/10 tries left, she got freaked out

Even if someone was to use my phone (group of friends were together and one who couldn't make it called and wanted to talk to everyone) I'm mad paranoid I'm constantly watching whoever it is has my phone, but try not to stare and come off too crazy
    04-07-12 08:18 AM
    Very true! I rarely let anyone play with or even hold my 9800. When I do let someone hold it, it's probably because I trust them with everything, so very few people get a chance to hold my beautiful white beauty in their hands. I adore my BlackBerry!
    04-07-12 08:29 AM
    I picked up my friends BlackBerry, his pupils widen and he yells "Put that down!".
    Fun times...

Sent from my BlackBerry 9800 using the CrackBerry Forums Application
    wylderubicon likes this.
    04-07-12 08:35 AM
    there is an excellent app called Pattern lock available in Appworld. you can lock specific third party and PIM apps on ur BB without locking the screen. u can lock the screen also if u would want. touch screen phones only though. this is what i do and dont care if anyone picks my phone. let them have a feel of it and they will know the pleasure of 9900 at the same time i keep specific apps and PIMs locked 4 privacy.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9900 using Tapatalk
    04-07-12 08:58 AM
    You'll get even more intense reactions if you pick up a friend's wallet. Or notepad. Or purse. Reactions to violations of privacy is not unique to phones.
    04-07-12 08:58 AM
    I'm the same way. It never really leaves my hand or it will be sitting right in front of me where I can keep an eye on it. My BB and I have such a relationship that I know when I accidently leave it sitting on the charger when I go to work in the evenings. I get about 4 steps out the door when I realize I am missing something... We have a special bond. And like deRusset, it has my name and a message if found email me or call with the phone number and email addy.

I'm also weary of people messing with my phone cuz I have my password set to 3 tries and I'm a Crew Chief in the Air Force and people like to try and get into your stuff to try and make fun of you and flip you S***. So they will most likely erase all the data on my phone haha.
    Stewartj1 likes this.
    04-07-12 09:34 AM
    It's true of every phone. I'd never touch someone else's phone without permission. I rarely ask for that.

There's a lot of personal information on phones as well as conversations, emails, photos, ect.

It's like looking through someone's wallet.

This is true although I think having an app to lock your personal files, certain ones for that matter would work for this occasion.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9900 using Tapatalk
    04-07-12 11:12 AM
    That's true. If anyone touches my bold except from my misses s going down! Lol

Sent from my BlackBerry Bold 9900 using Tapatalk
    04-07-12 11:45 AM
    I have a password set on mine but I have a friend, who also has a BB, and when we all used to go out and drink he always took mine and posted on Facebook. Obviously there is no boundaries with him. haha
    04-07-12 11:57 AM
    This is the same for all phones, not just BBs. I don't know too many people who like it when others look around in their devices. If my device is on a table, there is always one eye looking at it, so you probably wont be able to grab it before I get to it first.
    04-07-12 12:04 PM
    Why would you ever just randomly pick up someone else's phone and look at it? It doesn't really matter if it is a BlackBerry or not, in my opinion it is just rude.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9860, no QWERTY required.
    04-07-12 12:29 PM
    I never let mine out of my site. Its always in my pocket, if it is its locked down I'll give a demo but will not hand it over. Had a few fights with the Mrs. about this one. She doesn't get it.
    04-07-12 12:34 PM
    Good way to lose a hand.
    04-07-12 12:37 PM
    Just downloaded Lock for Apps in appworld for this VERY reason. (=
    04-07-12 12:38 PM
    I never let mine out of my site. Its always in my pocket, if it is its locked down I'll give a demo but will not hand it over. Had a few fights with the Mrs. about this one. She doesn't get it.
    Just make her read through this thread and she'll understand.
    04-07-12 01:05 PM
    I have one of my convience keys set to lock the device just for this purpose. I have personal info on my phone that everyone and their mother has no reason to know. Just last Friday, I had a friend of mine to pick up my phone and play with it while it wasn't locked. She wanted to look through everything on it. Sicne then I changed my convience key, decreased the lock timer, and backed up my device in case somebody wants to wipe my device.
    04-07-12 01:37 PM
29 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD