02-14-12 10:16 AM
199 ... 5678
tools
    Nice speech Qubie, and of course spot-on as usual. But if this guy hasn't gotten off his insipid antiquated-keyboard kick by now, he never will. I still cannot fathom why anyone who has such a vendetta against a brand's bread and butter would be spreading his animus on a forum dedicated to that brand; can you? (Hint: Ignore can be your friend.)

BTW, if I ever do get tired of BB, a couple of those primitive landscape sliders on the dreambloggers page look sweeeeeet ... as long as they haven't stopped making them by then. Click to view quoted image

Agreed. I always wonder about that. I simply don't go regularly go into forums whose products I don't care for. I honesty haven't visited the Windows forum since the Dell Lightning was announced (and apparently never released?) and I don't go into the iPhone forum since I was completely underwhelmed by the iP4S. I used to visit the Android foruk on my Android hating days but then stopped when I realised I was giving them much too much energy. Then I liked Android and have started going there, although infrequently.

Like going to the Honda Element forum to go rave about the Toyota Rav4...why would you??? Unless, of course, to troll....

Oooops....could it be???? Do you think...??????
    02-12-12 07:52 AM
    Absolutely incorrect.

I can type in Spanish and French. All I have to do is type on the letter and use the trackpad to select whichever character I need.

No problem at all. No more of a nightmare than producing pc/laptop keyboards....actually, easier....less of a hassle for me to type a special Spanish character or a French accent on my BB than on my laptop.

There are people who simply PREFER keyboards. Regardless of age. Don't throw that one in there.

I would much rather type a message on my 9930 than my Skyrocket. It's a preference.

While the Poster you quoted used dumb examples as most of those languages use the Roman/Latin Alphabet which means we can type them easily on the Blackberry, Asian and Middle eastern languages DO work better for touchscreen devices since they have far more letters than we have in the Roman/Latin Alphabet.

I do completely agree the Keyboard is a preference thing,
    I equated it in another post in this thread to floors.
    The Touchscreen is a concrete floor, works great as a floor and is very versatile,
    The Keypad is a carpeted floor, works great, slightly less versatile, but for extended standing it is far more comfortable
    Alex_Hong and Laura Knotek like this.
    02-12-12 08:06 AM
    The Droid 4 is basically the only new upper class Android with a keyboard. All the rest of new Androids are pure touchscreen.

Sent from my iPhone 4S using Tapatalk

The decision of what is an upper class device can vary depending on the consumer. The Droid Pro was designed and released as a business oriented BB killer. And although I don't like a horizontal slider I see an awful lot of people using them, both Android and Windows. I really don't know anything about Nokia devices, but I believe that some do have keyboards.

I choose my Skyrocket almost interchangeably with my 9930, but I invariably choose my 9930 when I require precision.
    02-12-12 08:11 AM
    The Droid 4 is basically the only new upper class Android with a keyboard. All the rest of new Androids are pure touchscreen.

Sent from my iPhone 4S using Tapatalk
    The point is that they make at least one, as do most other manufacturers. They wouldn't do that if they didn't think there were some kind of a market for them. And I'd suggest that they all probably know a little bit more about that market than 99% of the armchair CEO's here.
    02-12-12 08:38 AM
    While the Poster you quoted used dumb examples as most of those languages use the Roman/Latin Alphabet which means we can type them easily on the Blackberry, Asian and Middle eastern languages DO work better for touchscreen devices since they have far more letters than we have in the Roman/Latin Alphabet.

I do completely agree the Keyboard is a preference thing,
    I equated it in another post in this thread to floors.
    The Touchscreen is a concrete floor, works great as a floor and is very versatile,
    The Keypad is a carpeted floor, works great, slightly less versatile, but for extended standing it is far more comfortable
    Yes, arguably it is easier to use a touchscreen device for non-Western languages. But even on a Western device all that is required is to download the language pack.

And I absolutely agree with your analogy of a cement/carpeted floor. I think that covers it exactly. i much prefer the feel of a keyboard to the haptic feedback of my Android devices.
    02-12-12 08:58 AM
    Yes, arguably it is easier to use a touchscreen device for non-Western languages. But even on a Western device all that is required is to download the language pack.

And I absolutely agree with your analogy of a cement/carpeted floor. I think that covers it exactly. i much prefer the feel of a keyboard to the haptic feedback of my Android devices.
    While the language pack gives you the characters, to type, you are still faced with the "western" characters on the keyboard, IF you are a touch typist this is fine, but not being able to look at the keys to find that key you are looking for makes the physical keyboard inferior.

I'm a Keyboard lover, but I do see SOME places where touchscreens can have an advantage, though I would suffer through figuring out which key maps to what over using a touchscreen full time
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    02-12-12 09:30 AM
    In my opinion a touchscreen keyboard is more versatile whereas a portrait physical keyboard is FAR easier to use. That's about it really.

Having said that, I find physical landscape keyboards (as on the G2) to be more of a PITA than a virtual keyboard. I suppose in the end it's personal preference.

If I could get this 4s with a portrait slider blackberry type keyboard I would jump all over it. That perfect device (for me) could quite possibly end up being a BB10 device.

Sent from my iPhone4s using Tapatalk
    02-12-12 11:41 AM
    I have a big set of mitts. I'm all thumbs when it comes to a touch screen KB. That's one of the reasons why i own a BB.
    02-12-12 12:30 PM
    This entire reply was dictated into my phone. Perhaps the future is not in touch screen or in physical keyboard. I believe that most of the input that will take place in future devices will be in voice recognition dictation. Keyboard versus touchscreen will become far less of a debate. The quality of the software and the hardware in the devices that lead to an accurate dictation experience will probably be what we are debating about in the future.

To be honest, I hope that the future is bright for all of the competitors out there. There are really only about four maybe five good platforms out there today. To lose any of them would be bad....
    02-12-12 12:35 PM
    This entire reply was dictated into my phone. Perhaps the future is not in touch screen or in physical keyboard. I believe that most of the input that will take place in future devices will be in voice recognition dictation. Keyboard versus touchscreen will become far less of a debate. The quality of the software and the hardware in the devices that lead to an accurate dictation experience will probably be what we are debating about in the future.

To be honest, I hope that the future is bright for all of the competitors out there. There are really only about four maybe five good platforms out there today. To lose any of them would be bad....
    Well said. But then some will still want what they had. They won't like dictation because "I don't want people to hear what I'm saying." Touchscreen or Physical all things progress.

Some find it hard to let go, even when things become obsolete.

It's more about the way the brain is wired than any actual choice.
    02-12-12 01:44 PM
    Well said. But then some will still want what they had. They won't like dictation because "I don't want people to hear what I'm saying." Touchscreen or Physical all things progress.

Dictation just isn't goin to work at a concert, movie, restrant, or even in a libary. Some of us in the world cansee outside the box and understand how things work.
    02-12-12 02:14 PM
    Dictation just isn't goin to work at a concert, movie, restrant, or even in a libary. Some of us in the world cansee outside the box and understand how things work.

LOL!!!! I really don't want to hear someone's sextexting on the train next to me

Some of us don't want to let go of something that works for us better than something else. Why would anyone give up something that works over something that works for someone else? If I have a Skyrocket and I prefer to type on a 9930, why would I give up my 9930 for something that does not work better for me????? That's ridiculous.

If I've tasted Pepsi and I prefer it over Coke, why should I order Coke because the person I'm with prefers it????? That's bowing to artificial pressure. I don't do that. Having a Skyrocket and a 9930 I can absolutely say that a 9930 is my preferred input method. Why would I let it go? Who says it's obsolete? A physical keyboard will be obsolete for me the day I lose all my fingers.
    Last edited by Qbnkelt; 02-12-12 at 03:30 PM.
    02-12-12 03:10 PM
    Interesting. What did people at concerts, movies(don't you see those pre-film announcements about being courteous to others and put your phone away?) and "restaurants" do before?

They "unplugged" and enjoyed the music, the film or their meal.

You state as if all of the tech has been around for years and people have already grown so accustomed to it that we'd all go bonkers if we were unplugged for even an hour.

How would the populace react to a major blackout like the one we had here in NY several years ago?

Or the long predicted solar flare that will play havoc with our satellites and communication systems.

Unplug for a period and you'll quickly realize that everything will be just fine.
    02-12-12 03:57 PM
    Interesting. What did people at concerts, movies(don't you see those pre-film announcements about being courteous to others and put your phone away?) and "restaurants" do before?

You state as if all of the tech has been around for years and people have already grown so accustomed to it that we'd all go bonkers if we were unplugged for even an hour.

How would the populace react to a major blackout like the one we had here in NY several years ago?

Or the long predicted solar flare that will play havoc with our satellites and communication systems.

Unplug for a period and you'll quickly realize that everything will be just fine.
    That is an entirely different situation. In this instance you're discussing the unavailability of communication. Echo and I are discussing a preferred form of input when discretion is necessary given specific surroundings.
    I can, and do, text and email and BBM in situations where I must be discreet. In certain situations, you would not want to be heard but would still want to communicate. So a keyboard, be it virtual or physical, would be necessary.

And again, I must ask....what is this insistence on taking choice out? Why must physical keyboards be considered obsolete simply because certain consumers prefer them?

It's *choice.* It's a good thing.
    Last edited by Qbnkelt; 02-12-12 at 04:09 PM.
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    02-12-12 04:02 PM
    While the language pack gives you the characters, to type, you are still faced with the "western" characters on the keyboard, IF you are a touch typist this is fine, but not being able to look at the keys to find that key you are looking for makes the physical keyboard inferior.

I'm a Keyboard lover, but I do see SOME places where touchscreens can have an advantage, though I would suffer through figuring out which key maps to what over using a touchscreen full time
    I was thinking exactly the same thing when I read the thread. Your post is spot-on.
    02-12-12 04:08 PM
    LOL!!!! I really don't want to hear someone's sextexting on the train next to me

If I've tasted Pepsi and I prefer it over Coke, why should I order Coke because the person I'm with prefers it????? That's bowing to artificial pressure. Why would I let it go? Who says it's obsolete? A physical keyboard will be obsolete for me the day I lose all my fingers.
    You misunderstand my post. Coke, Pepsi, TS Keyboard, Physical Keyboard, beef or Vegetarian. These are all options that are provided to you. Unless you invented any of these technologies yourself, you bowed to artificial pressure the day you started to use them. So there's no high ground you need to take. We all do it.

And if it was a job requirement, you use it because someone told you had to.

And they day the powers that be decide that the "latest tech" is what they intend to use. You, and me and everyone esle will be told to use that as well. Whether you comply or not is another story.
    02-12-12 04:21 PM
    You misunderstand my post. Coke, Pepsi, TS Keyboard, Physical Keyboard, beef or Vegetarian. These are all options that are provided to you. Unless you invented any of these technologies yourself, you bowed to artificial pressure the day you started to use them. So there's no high ground you need to take. We all do it.

And if it was a job requirement, you use it because someone told you had to.

And they day the powers that be decide that the "latest tech" is what they intend to use. You, and me and everyone esle will be told to use that as well. Whether you comply or not is another story.
    No, those are options I decide to take or leave because they are there. If I have at my disposal a keyboard device and a touchscreen, as I do, I choose which one to use for the task at hand. Bowing to artificial pressure would be to use exclusively my Skyrocket because a segment of the population has decided that a keyboard is antiquated. I choose which device to use depending on what I want to do.
    The day the powers that be choose to not make keyboards anymore I will undoubtedly not use them anymore.
    The do still make automatic transmission cars, don't they? Isn't automatic transmissionn the latest tech? And I know for a fact that people still sail places in sailboats instead of power boats even though powerboats are of course, newer. These are personal preferences.
    I think the day manufacturers choose to stop making keyboard phones will be the day I withdraw huge amount of cash from my account to purchase as many Curve and Bolds as I can find.
    Whether people wil choose to do the same with Droid 4s, Droid Pros, Window devices with keyboards I don't know. And I don't care. But I will use keyboards for precision's sake as long as I can get my hands on one.
    02-12-12 04:45 PM

Dictation has a LOOOOONG way to go, with the combination of autotext and my typing speed I type easily twice as fast as I can actually speak, and often I am typing one thing while I am talking to someone else.
    Dictation will probably replace a lot of users input styles, but dictation can't replace keyboards, hard or soft.
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    02-12-12 06:39 PM

If I disconnected today, I would need to find a new job, customers expect to hear from you within 24 hours of communication, I would not have the time in a day the last 2 days of the month to sit and dictate only when I was in a place appropriate for dictation, between conference calls, and emails I'd not be able to have a social life.

Things worked slower back in the day, Dictation is great, but it is far from the better solution.
    02-12-12 06:42 PM
    If I disconnected today, I would need to find a new job, customers expect to hear from you within 24 hours of communication, I would not have the time in a day the last 2 days of the month to sit and dictate only when I was in a place appropriate for dictation, between conference calls, and emails I'd not be able to have a social life.

Things worked slower back in the day, Dictation is great, but it is far from the better solution.
    I am dreading the day that dictation becomes the data entry method of choice. It's bad enough we already have people walking around with bt earpieces appearing to be carrying on conversations with no one. I think I'll put a bullet in my own head if we reach that point.
    02-12-12 06:58 PM

Are you serious? Blackberrys aren't the only devices that can be put on silence. I still commucate with people while eating dinner or watching a movie. After all that's why we carry mobile phones.
    Your the one being sacrastic while we are being serious. Your the one that wants to put technology before function. All I did was give a couple of examples of when dictation would be turned off and manual input would be used. Others and myself are not dismissing touchscreens or virtual keyboards. For heavens sake I have a 9860. What weare saying is tere is a place for keyboards in this world. And no matter how jurassic you think they are they are still here. Everybody doesn't think like you or have the same wants/needs as you. Thank GOD. The world is round.
    02-12-12 06:59 PM
    I am dreading the day that dictation becomes the data entry method of choice. It's bad enough we already have people walking around with bt earpieces appearing to be carrying on conversations with no one. I think I'll put a bullet in my own head if we reach that point.
    Well it WILL happen in the most self absorbed cities, then country first. so you'll be able to move to another country if you reside in that country.

BT headsets are wonderful and dreadful at the same time, if set up well, and you use a quality one, they are no more obtrusive than a quiet conversation between 2 people in a public space, the down fall is some people WANT you to over hear them so they speak loudly, or they have crappy BT hardware and again have to speak loudly.

Siri is a great example of people who are self absorbed in public places
    02-12-12 07:15 PM
    Are you serious? Blackberrys aren't the only devices that can be put on silence. I still commucate with people while eating dinner or watching a movie. After all that's why we carry mobile phones.
    Your the one being sacrastic while we are being serious. Your the one that wants to put technology before function. All I did was give a couple of examples of when dictation would be turned off and manual input would be used. Others and myself are not dismissing touchscreens or virtual keyboards. For heavens sake I have a 9860. What weare saying is tere is a place for keyboards in this world. And no matter how jurassic you think they are they are still here. Everybody doesn't think like you or have the same wants/needs as you. Thank GOD. The world is round.
    I have no clue as to what you're referring to. There was no sarcasm at all in my post. If you read it that way. Then, that's more you than me. My comments are about inevitability. Nothing more, nothing less.

But i'd like to ask: Why go to a film if not to watch and enjoy it? Why go out to dinner with with family/ friends to communicate with some not there?
    02-12-12 07:36 PM

But i'd like to ask: Why go to a film if not to watch and enjoy it? Why go out to dinner with with family/ friends to communicate with some not there?

I have sat through a few films that are put on as time fillers, films showing plant tours I've visited, or safety instructionals that I've sat through 3 or 4 times that month,

as for Out to dinner, while out with friends, fortunately my job allows me to do this at all hours of the day, with the knowledge that I may have to blast out an email or put out a fire in the middle of lunch,

because your career possibly doesn't require your service in an immediate nature, does not mean other people don't have reasons to need silent communication in social locations.

One location I truly hope bans voice dictation would be in Airplanes.
    it is bad enough the 30-60 beeps and dings that hit as people start txting and emailing when the plane touches down, if people started all talking to their phones you'd never hear your connecting gate announcement.
    02-12-12 07:45 PM
    I have no clue as to what you're referring to. There was no sarcasm at all in my post. If you read it that way. Then, that's more you than me. My comments are about inevitability. Nothing more, nothing less.

LOL. I think there is an understanding problem. I get your point. Somehow, it was perceived to be a sarcastic attack on BB.
    02-12-12 08:59 PM
199 ... 5678
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD