i'd like to ask: Why go to a film if not to watch and enjoy it? Why go out to dinner with with family/ friends to communicate with some not there?
    Why? Simply because its needed. I.E a barge I had requested to have brought to my dock isn't cleaned so its not ready for me to load. The port contacts me if another barge will be ok to bring up. If they bring up a barge that's set for me but hasn't been there as long as the others it causes the others to go on demerge. It takes less than 3 minutes to send a message. There's no movie or dinner worth closing myself from the world. I've been at dinner and a neighbor txt me to tell me I had calves out of my pasture. This can cause a loss in a lot of money. I would be responsible for anything they damaged etc.
    Face it brother your going backwards in your arguement. Your trying to argue that we only need the latest and greatest techology. I'm just suggesting that the tried and true ways still have function.
    02-12-12 10:01 PM
    I am dreading the day that dictation becomes the data entry method of choice. It's bad enough we already have people walking around with bt earpieces appearing to be carrying on conversations with no one. I think I'll put a bullet in my own head if we reach that point.
    That reminds me of something my mom told me. She was a legal secretary back in the 60s. Her boss, one of the firm partners, dictated something using the Dictaphone. My mom thought he said "copulation" and typed that into a document. He actually said something completely different. It was pretty funny and embarrassing at the same time. Needless to say, that lawyer made sure he did not mumble the next time he dictated anything.
    pantlesspenguin likes this.
    02-13-12 02:53 AM
    I have no clue as to what you're referring to. There was no sarcasm at all in my post. If you read it that way. Then, that's more you than me. My comments are about inevitability. Nothing more, nothing less.

But i'd like to ask: Why go to a film if not to watch and enjoy it? Why go out to dinner with with family/ friends to communicate with some not there?
    Because people who are at the movies or at dinner may have children at home with a sitter. And because people do have jobs that require them to me on call.

And yes, there were times when we could manage to live without technology. But we have reached a point where there is the *expectation* that we will be readily available because the vast majority of us do carry mobile devices.
    02-13-12 02:55 AM
    The fact is, none of us know the answer.

Would anyone have predicted the death of land lines 15 years ago? They're a dying breed now BUT there will always be a minority that want them.

We really don't know what will happen. The masses will ultimately decide. If there is no demand for physical keyboard they'll gradually disappear. But like the landline it'll take years to happen if at all.

If you want to keep them around keep up the demand for them. I'll take a portrait slider please.

Sent from my iPhone4s using Tapatalk
    02-13-12 06:37 AM
    Because people who are at the movies or at dinner may have children at home with a sitter. And because people do have jobs that require them to me on call.

And yes, there were times when we could manage to live without technology. But we have reached a point where there is the *expectation* that we will be readily available because the vast majority of us do carry mobile devices.
    That's right. Some times the wife and I catch a flick or a bite to eat durning the week. We've had to leave cause school let out early cause of weather.
    I got a $5 hour raise when I took my mangement position. Because I didn't take salary I'm responsible for my own phone and I drive my own truck. I love what I do or I would quit. Giving up a few minutes of my personal time is a small price to pay.
    02-13-12 06:45 AM
    The fact is, none of us know the answer.

Would anyone have predicted the death of land lines 15 years ago? They're a dying breed now BUT there will always be a minority that want them.

We really don't know what will happen. The masses will ultimately decide. If there is no demand for physical keyboard they'll gradually disappear. But like the landline it'll take years to happen if at all.

If you want to keep them around keep up the demand for them. I'll take a portrait slider please.

Land lines are dead? That's news to me, in UK they're a basic household requirement and we get our broadband trough it anyway so it needs to be active.

Besides, most people don't like to have long conversations over a mobile phone anymore.

You only expect students not to have one.
    02-13-12 07:35 AM
    Land lines are dead? That's news to me, in UK they're a basic household requirement and we get our broadband trough it anyway so it needs to be active.

Besides, most people don't like to have long conversations over a mobile phone anymore.

That's the UK. NA is a different game.

The old telco I worked for in the US was hemorrhaging +400,000 landlines a year 5 years ago. You can still have DSL - its called standalone and only the data portion of the line was active.

In the States landlines are fast becoming dead unless you are a senior who needs it for emergencies or have an alarm system that requires a hardware.

I'm starting to see that trend happening in Canada - people ditching landline for cell only or magic jack.

Sent from my brain using Tapatalk
    02-13-12 07:40 AM

Interesting, the last time I had a land line was when I was a student. They were provided in the dorms. When I went to grad school I had my own place and had a land line just for internet. I got rid of that when I graduated to a cable provider. I've been land line free since about 2005.
    02-13-12 07:47 AM
    I have a landline but I don't use it. However, I do plan to put a phone on it just as added protection. I like to have redundancies.
    As to the touchscreen/physical/dictation argument, I don't understand the drive some posters exhibit to shove their personal choices down our throats and call it unnecessary to have an alternative. I'm typing this on my 9930 because I prefer the tactile feedback I get on a keyboard. It is also easier for me to put the cursor over a change I have to make. And much to the chagrin of those who would have it otherwise, most manufacturers understand that and build for it. Excepting Apple, of course. But yet....hasn't the iPhone got a physical keyboard users can plug into? I seem to remember I saw one when I had my iP3GS.
    Choice is always good. I don't understand how anyone would argue against it. Predominance is not equal to exclusivity.
    pantlesspenguin likes this.
    02-13-12 07:55 AM

Silly silly Belfast, this is the global community of Crackberry, so bringing up the UK has no merit, if it isn't that way in the US, it isn't that way!

I have used Vonage as a Landline since 2007 only because no cell contract can give me unlimited phone calls to the UK landlines, and mobiles,
    easily 90% of all personal calls are done with my mobile, and greater than 99% of all business calls are done from my mobile.

Landlines have their place, but they more so have their place in the family unit with 2+ kids under 16, technology has yet to make it easy for a family to have a shared voicemail, and parental control over mobile phones as good as the phone attached to the kitchen wall with the 3" twisted cord, in eye shot of the livingroom sofa.
    02-13-12 07:56 AM
    I'm in Philadelphia, and haven't had a landline for about 4 years. When I know I'll need to be on hold a long time, I use MagicJack at home. It was pointless paying for a landline that I used once or twice a month.
    02-13-12 07:58 AM

Please re-read what I actually said.

http://www.economist.com/node/14213965

Despite some of the flakiest mobile-network coverage in the developed world, one in four households has now gone mobile-only. At current rates the last landline in America will be disconnected sometime in 2025.

Last edited by xandermac; 02-13-12 at 08:05 AM.
    02-13-12 07:59 AM
    Interesting, it's almost socially unacceptable not to have a landline here.

They don't cost much and calls are free in the evenings and weekends.
    Last edited by belfastdispatcher; 02-13-12 at 08:30 AM.
    02-13-12 08:27 AM
    Interesting, it's almost socially unacceptable not to have a landline here.

They don't cost much and calls are free in the evenings and weekends.
    Its just one of the byproducts of technology. Newer ones gradually replace older ones. Most people I know don't have a landline because it's not deemed "necessary" anymore. Granted, this is in the U.S. but I'm going to go out on a limb and guess that landline use is declining globally also.

As I said, there will holdouts. If the demand is there the telecoms will keep it available but I think most people will move on. Or the cost to operate the network will become prohibitive and the telecoms will switch purely to VOIP.

I think the same applies to physical keyboard. If there is enough demand then they'll be available but the majority will probably move on (or already have moved on).

02-13-12 08:39 AM
    Speaking of that and veering slightly OT.. if you want a shock get on a landline and call someone else on a landline. Shocking how much better it can sound than cell phones.
    02-13-12 08:43 AM
    Speaking of that and veering slightly OT.. if you want a shock get on a landline and call someone else on a landline. Shocking how much better it can sound than cell phones.
    Very true, even a cheap and nasty telephone will sound better then most mobile phones.
    The only time I get similar quality is when I call blackberry to blackberry ie my wife on her Pearl 3G.

Touch screen overall is still in a minority, a big majority of the smartphones have it now but smartphones only account for 10%-20% of the mobile phones industry and those all have a phisical keyboard.
    02-13-12 09:17 AM
    In very large 3rd world countries, Mexico, Latin America, India, China etc, they never had a widespread landline infrastructure, so mobile phones rule.
    02-13-12 09:56 AM

A lot of folks here use cable telephony, rather than POTS provided by the telcos. It is actually cheaper, even if not bundled with other services such as cable TV and/or Internet.

02-13-12 09:56 AM
    In very large 3rd world countries, Mexico, Latin America, India, China etc, they never had a widespread landline infrastructure, so mobile phones rule.
    Same for major parts of Africa. That's why some there carry 3 or 4 cell phones.
    02-13-12 11:09 AM
    Source?
    I have traveled extensively throughout Mexico, central and south America. Landlines are everywhere except for impoverished rural villages.
    02-13-12 12:51 PM
    Only reason I still have a landline is for my FAX machine. And the only reason I use a FAX machine (albeit built into my printer) is because some businesses I deal with are reluctant to go paperless. =/
    02-13-12 01:10 PM
    I know that I am a few days late to the Party, but I am a Proud Keyboard User and Manual Transmission Driver. As long as I've had a cellphone she had a keyboard and as long as I've had a car, she's had a clutch.

I'm in the Vast Minority on Both, and that is fine with me. What isn't fine, is someone declaring that because my choice came first, it is obselete and I absoluetely have to change.

1. I hate being told I have to do anything.
    2. I'm willing to annoy that individual by beligerently continuing doing, what I'm doing.

I spend my time NOT telling other platform users that they have to do anything they don't want to do. Being that I accept that it's Different Strokes for Different Folks.

I just want to know what they get out of doing the Opposite.
    02-14-12 08:54 AM
    The answer to the question "Are physical keyboards a dying breed" is a resounding "Yes of course"..

do i personally like it?.. nope, but it wont make me look at the data and lie
    02-14-12 09:12 AM
    Its just one of the byproducts of technology. Newer ones gradually replace older ones. Most people I know don't have a landline because it's not deemed "necessary" anymore. Granted, this is in the U.S. but I'm going to go out on a limb and guess that landline use is declining globally also.

As I said, there will holdouts. If the demand is there the telecoms will keep it available but I think most people will move on. Or the cost to operate the network will become prohibitive and the telecoms will switch purely to VOIP.

I think the same applies to physical keyboard. If there is enough demand then they'll be available but the majority will probably move on (or already have moved on).

I haven't had a line line in 4 years. Most of my friends here in the city don't. The few that do are always saying "What if there's another 9-11 and cell phones don't work?". I switched to Sprint because they maintained service during and after 9-11. Verizon was down.
    02-14-12 09:16 AM
199 ... 678
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD