Found this great video speaking about the disadvantages of keyboard phones
    Cleveland likes this.
    02-10-12 11:32 AM
    LOL...some of us do type long emails on our touchscreens.

Mobile post via Tapatalk
    Tried it on an iPod touch, hated it.
    Tried it on wife's iPhone, hated it.
    Tried it on my 9800 and 9810, hated it.
    Been trying it on my PlayBook for 10 months now and still hate it.

Give me my BlackBerry with a physical keyboard or give me death.
    momofteme likes this.
    02-10-12 12:29 PM
    I do not believe they are dying. I hate this iPhone kb to be honest. If it wasn't for autocorrect every word I type would be misspelled. hardware keyboards aren't going anywhere.

Sent from my iPhone4s using Tapatalk
    southlander likes this.
    02-10-12 12:34 PM
    Tried it on an iPod touch, hated it.
    Tried it on wife's iPhone, hated it.
    Tried it on my 9800 and 9810, hated it.
    Been trying it on my PlayBook for 10 months now and still hate it.

Give me my BlackBerry with a physical keyboard or give me death.
    I used to be the same way. I changed over quite reluctantly, but when I did, I wondered why I had waited so long.

I do believe it is an acquired taste.
    02-10-12 12:40 PM
    What people don't realize about the iDevice keyboard is if you get "me" instead of "mr" touch a little more right of the "r" - even right now I'm typing this on my iPad just as fast if not faster that if I was in a physical keyboard and only had one typo lol

If you're mispelling that many word you need to center over the letter more, I have had no problem going from a physical keyboard to a touchscreen - eventually you will see the physical ones go away

Just like - the human pinky is going to disappear one day - it keeps getting smaller lol
    02-10-12 12:44 PM
    I used to be the same way. I changed over quite reluctantly, but when I did, I wondered why I had waited so long.

I haven't acquired a taste for it in about three years now, I don't think I ever will willingly.

Sardines are an acquired taste, too, a taste which I've yet to acquire in 54 years. I'm not holding my breath on that one, either
    02-10-12 12:47 PM
    What people don't realize about the iDevice keyboard is if you get "me" instead of "mr" touch a little more right of the "r" - even right now I'm typing this on my iPad just as fast if not faster that if I was in a physical keyboard and only had one typo lol

If you're mispelling that many word you need to center over the letter more, I have had no problem going from a physical keyboard to a touchscreen - eventually you will see the physical ones go away

Just like - the human pinky is going to disappear one day - it keeps getting smaller lol
    Like I said, 10 months on the PB and I still spend more time fixing typos and cussing about it than I do actually typing my intended message. My wife flies doing the one-finger-fling on her iPhone, while I do the two-thumb-stumble-and-curse-alot. Some of us just aren't wired for it.
    02-10-12 12:53 PM
    Found this great video speaking about the disadvantages of keyboard phones
    I don't think that's such a great video. Yes, Jobs correctly notes the fact that a disadvantage of a keyboard is that it's there whether you need it or not. But he incorrecly implies that it's a disadvantage of keyboards that the buttons have fixed functions. That's wrong in two ways. First it's wrong because many people actually like for there to be buttons that work the same way across apps. Second, the BB, and Android devices, have a menu/option button that typically gives context-dependent options, so that's not a true disadvantage either.

Yes, you can accomplish the reliable backup and menu options without a physical keyboard. That's not in question. But of course he also ignores the tactile and ergonomic advantages of physical keyboards.

I don't think there's any real doubt that physical keyboards have tactile and ergonomic advantages. The question is whether those advantages are sufficient to sustain the market for physical keyboard devices, or whether the undoubted advantages of larger screens will trump them.
    Alex_Hong likes this.
    02-10-12 01:22 PM
    . But he incorrecly implies that it's a disadvantage of keyboards that the buttons have fixed functions. That's wrong in two ways. First it's wrong because many people actually like for there to be buttons that work the same way across apps. Second, the BB, and Android devices, have a menu/option button that typically gives context-dependent options, so that's not a true disadvantage either.
    Plus, other than the Siri button I can't think of a single time apple have changed the keyboard anyway, so his argument on that point was a bit weak.

Sent from my iPhone4s using Tapatalk
    02-10-12 01:53 PM
    Again it comes down to what you use your phone for most. Jobs had a different vision of that than Mikey and Jimmie (and some of us are glad about that). I have a differet vision of that than people who want more media consumption from their phones. Messaging is what some of us do most. I don't even use my music player because I find earbuds to be majorly annoying. He11, even my iPods are relegated almost exclusively to car duty except when I'm loading up new tunes. I'm just not into the mobile-everything thing. Hence my deepest desire for a physical keyboard on my phone. Call me a relic, call me what you will; say I'm old-fashioned, say I'm over the hill ...
    02-10-12 02:18 PM
    an old friend of mine once asked "what is so great about your BlackBerry that you can't give it up".....my response "its the keyboard....i can't NOT use this keyboard"

i know a few people that LOVED the BB physical keyboard but needed more to keep them....i'm praying RIM executes BB10 well with one device having a physical keyboard
    02-10-12 04:02 PM
    I don't think that's such a great video. Yes, Jobs correctly notes the fact that a disadvantage of a keyboard is that it's there whether you need it or not. But he incorrecly implies that it's a disadvantage of keyboards that the buttons have fixed functions. That's wrong in two ways. First it's wrong because many people actually like for there to be buttons that work the same way across apps. Second, the BB, and Android devices, have a menu/option button that typically gives context-dependent options, so that's not a true disadvantage either.

Yes, you can accomplish the reliable backup and menu options without a physical keyboard. That's not in question. But of course he also ignores the tactile and ergonomic advantages of physical keyboards.

I don't think there's any real doubt that physical keyboards have tactile and ergonomic advantages. The question is whether those advantages are sufficient to sustain the market for physical keyboard devices, or whether the undoubted advantages of larger screens will trump them.
    I think what he ment was if say you load up a video game, the keyboard buttons don't magically change into controller buttons.
    02-10-12 04:22 PM
    Yes, physical keyboards are going the way of the dinosaur. There is simply no need for them. Virtual keyboards have faster and more accurate typing. On an android or
    iphone, type 2 or 3 letters of a word an many word options come up. Select the right word and move on to the next word.

I think the market has spoken. As evidenced by the rapidly increasing market share of android and ios and the falling market share of RIM, keyboards are a thing of the past.

The keyboard on my 9810 feels great but it is slow compared to virtual.

If people cared about keyboards, RIM would be doing great right now.
    Hmmm, well I don't know if I'm the only one here (and I doubt it) but I can type way faster on my keyboard than on a virtual keyboard.
    02-10-12 04:56 PM

Y'up. But it looks like pretty soon we're gonna need two more opposable thumbs! Just kidding!
    02-10-12 07:22 PM
    See, I agree. I do it all on a touchscreen. I am actually working on a book (one I started on my BB).

ETA: meant to quote Sleepnbear)

Mobile post via Tapatalk
    momofteme likes this.
    02-10-12 08:07 PM

would you give up a Laptop keyboard for a touchscreen keyboard? assuming same form factor
    02-10-12 10:46 PM

Steve also got it wrong by saying you can't make the buttons do different things inside apps. Its just not true. Several games has been played using the buttons.
    I would much rather have a keyboard and not need it then need a keyboard and don't have one.
    02-10-12 10:51 PM
    would you give up a Laptop keyboard for a touchscreen keyboard? assuming same form factor
    At this point, no way. I also prefer typing on my laptop than on the phone.

Just hate lugging it around.

Mobile post via Tapatalk
    02-10-12 10:59 PM
    At this point, no way. I also prefer typing on my laptop than on the phone.

Just hate lugging it around.

Mobile post via Tapatalk
    is that size, or the fact a physical keyboard is more comfortable.

I attribute it to comfort and give.
    a touchscreen keyboard is the concrete floor, and a physical keyboard is a padded carpet, both are fine to stand on for short periods of time, but if you had to stand on one for 18 hours at a time which is preferable?
    02-10-12 11:09 PM
    Hardware keyboards aren't a dying breed....more of a niche market. There are a few Android devices with keyboards (HTC Cha Cha and Droid Pro come to mind) which I think is a sign even Android manufacturers acknowledge this small segment of smartphone buyers.

Either way is a compromise...depends what is more important to you and what you're willing to give up. An all touch device gives you a nice big screen, flexible keyboard, but at the cost of typing experience. Hardware keyboard offers a better typing experience, at the expense of screen size. Simple as that.

I've seen friends absolutely fly on virtual keyboards, so I'm not saying that you can't be good and quick at typing on one. But part of that typing ability is dependent on auto-correct/word prediction which isn't always 100%. Put it this way...you'll never see a "damn you auto-correct" site for hardware keyboard users
    sleepngbear likes this.
    02-10-12 11:13 PM
    I think what he ment was if say you load up a video game, the keyboard buttons don't magically change into controller buttons.
    Yes the DO, always have on all mobile phone with games, usually 2,4,5,6,8 and space bar.

Edit- and depending on what application you're in the buttons turn into shortcuts.
    Last edited by belfastdispatcher; 02-11-12 at 02:10 AM.
    02-11-12 12:59 AM
    It depends...if u are big on texting, emaling or bbming then keyboard is essential. If not, touch screen is better.
    My experience and analysis tells me that the keyboard will win at the end as more and more people typing compare to talking..more and more people to type then actually talking on the phone as it is efficient way to communicate..
    That is why RIM is also betting on the keyboard and offers so many models.
    02-11-12 01:15 AM
    I would say that touchscreens are the future and like many have already stated, devices with physical keyboards will still be available, just not at the rate they were back a few years ago

I've always been a fan of physical keyboards and I have a iphone right now and before that I had a LG optimus V on virgin mobile and before that I had the bb bold 9700 and that bb was the best smartphone I ever owned

As much as I like touchscreen phones, I always yearn for that physical keyboard that kept me glued to my bold, hence why i'm looking to make the switch back to bb from iphone pretty soon
    02-11-12 01:26 AM
    not necessarily a dying breed.but touch screen has become the norm.there is a reason why apple's iphones are a best seller every year.even samsung and its products(galaxies) draw large numbers.but there is a place for the physical keyboards.not all can type fast on the touch screen.so it depends on needs.
    02-11-12 01:56 AM
    I ask, why not have both, the touchscreen and physical keyboard. Thus, I went for the 9900.

In my case, typing on a physical keyboard is unbeatable.

Cheers
    02-11-12 02:02 AM
199 ... 34567 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD