Belfast, I have that on my 9810. But you only get that feature if you use the VIRTUAL KEYBOARD and not the physical keyboard which is exactly my point. ROTFLMAO!
    No dude, you can have it on your physical keyboard too, I'm 100% sure about it, you just need to enable it, It's turned off by default.
    02-09-12 12:16 AM
    No dude, you can have it on your physical keyboard too, I'm 100% sure about it, you just need to enable it, It's turned off by default.
    Belfast, I have the 9810. That option is not available when using the QWERTY. It is available when using the virtual keyboard only.

I have been through all the menu options.

If you can tell me how to enable that option under the QWERTY keyboard, I will be humbly indebted to you.
    02-09-12 12:27 AM
    Belfast, I have the 9810. That option is not available when using the QWERTY. It is available when using the virtual keyboard only.

I have been through all the menu options.

If you can tell me how to enable that option under the QWERTY keyboard, I will be humbly indebted to you.
    options/typing and language/typing/style - predictive

if the 9810 doesn't have the option it would make it the only one that doesn't.
    southlander likes this.
    02-09-12 12:31 AM

Belfast, I already have these settings.

With the QWERTY open, if I type a word, it becomes underlined but I only see a drop down list of 4 very different words if I select the word. A whole different experience from using the virtual keyboard on the 9810.

Thanks for trying.
    02-09-12 12:47 AM
    When the automobile replaced the horse and buggy, zealots were outraged that anyone would want to spend so much on a car when a horse was so much cheaper.
    And yet not everyone uses an automobile to get around -- a 100 years later. Some still walk, some ride bikes, some take mass transit. Some even still ride horses in situations where they are superior to an auto for the purpose at hand.

Not everyone will want to use a touchscreen. No matter what.
    02-09-12 12:48 AM
    Hi Echo. My point is that pushing keys to type a message is the same as Fred Flintstone using his feet to propel his car. It was acceptable when it was the only way but not now.

When the automobile replaced the horse and buggy, zealots were outraged that anyone would want to spend so much on a car when a horse was so much cheaper.

Anyway, I digress. My point about the voice dictation which works amazingly well on android and iOS, is it is an option for users who are not comfortable using a virtual keyboard.

I like the voice typing option/dictation and hope that this feature is soon available on a blackberry as a core feature instead of as a 3rd party application. I guess if you have a QWERTY keyboard why do you need voice typing.
    Some people just dont get it. Voice.dictation isn't ment to replace keyboards of any type. There ment to be used hands free. Its real simple. There's things you can do with a keyboard you can't do with a virtual keyboard.
    Look I'm not suggesting you to buy a horse, car, truck or anything else. I'm just saying the keyboard isn't going away any time soon. Htc, motorola, samsung, pantech, and blackberry are all still making them. I guess the arket has spoken. The market says there is room and a need for virtual/physcial keyboards. There's even room for hybrids that have both.
    I think its yall that needs to get with the times. Virtual keyboards is old news. They've been weighed and found lacking.
    I made this statement modestly from my touch only blackberry. Ha
    02-09-12 12:51 AM
    Belfast, I already have these settings.

With the QWERTY open, if I type a word, it becomes underlined but I only see a drop down list of 4 very different words if I select the word. A whole different experience from using the virtual keyboard on the 9810.

Thanks for trying.
    I'm confused, do you or do you not have predictive typing on your 9810? You first said you didn't and now you do but only 4 words option comes up.
    02-09-12 01:33 AM
    I'm confused, do you or do you not have predictive typing on your 9810? You first said you didn't and now you do but only 4 words option comes up.
    As you correctly mentioned, on my 9360, if i set up predictive input,I do get a drop up/drop down of alternative word suggestions.
    02-09-12 02:06 AM
    I tried predictable entry before. I'm such a great typer now that I don't need it. Hardly make typos anymore and I'm very thankful for it, because it trained me.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com using Tapatalk
    02-09-12 02:09 AM
    It turns out I have always had predictive enabled. But when using QWERTY, you don't get the multiple word options unless you click on the word. And in this case it is a drop down menu of very different words, not similar words.

With the virtual keyboard, you get an automatic option of several variations of the word and you can select the desired word on the fly without having to press the word and have a drop down menu.
    02-09-12 02:13 AM
    As you correctly mentioned, on my 9360, if i set up predictive input,I do get a drop up/drop down of alternative word suggestions.
    Yes, true, but it is a different experience and inferior to the band options you get when you are using Blackberry's virtual keyboard which is the picture that Belfast showed in an earlier post.
    02-09-12 02:15 AM
    Yes, true, but it is a different experience and inferior to the band options you get when you are using Blackberry's virtual keyboard which is the picture that Belfast showed in an earlier post.
    No dude, that pic is on my bold 9900, no virtual keyboard.
    02-09-12 02:18 AM
    Keyboards will be around as its a must need for those typing long emails!
    02-09-12 02:22 AM
    I'm also confused. I've never bothered with predictive text, but after reading this thread, I turned it on, on my 9900. I kept auto-text on as well, for my hundreds of abbreviations.

So, as soon as I type two letters on my hardware keyboard, the OS starts to offer me word predictions, usually three at a time. Isn't it the same on the touch keyboard? How else would predictive text work?

Incidentally, I discovered that auto-text and predictive don't always play nice together. One of my abbreviations is "gd" for "good", a commonly used word, saving me two keystrokes. Predictive text thinks "gd" is going to be "GDP" and capitalizes it. When auto-text expands it, I get "GOOD" instead of "good". So I'll be turning off predictive text again, I think. It's really only handy for longer words, and I wish I could set the number of letters after which it starts offering suggestions. I'd probably choose 5 letters or more, rather than 2.

Anyway, as a general thing, the presence of absence of predictive text or auto-text is completely independent of whether they keyboard is physical or touch, since both features can exist or not exist with either text entry system.

There are still people who prefer to write on typewriters, rather than computers. And as I'm writing this, I just checked and was surprised that typewriters are still being made by a few companies. Still, I think it's fair to say that typewriters are "a dying breed," even though there may always be a core of people who want them. "Dying" doesn't equal "extinct."

So the question about physical keyboards on smartphones is like that. Will they become a tiny niche market, like typewriters? As I wrote earlier in this thread, it's the rising generation of smartphone users who will answer this question. My guess is that most of that generation will find it so natural to type on glass that they simply won't see why anyone would want to give up screen space or compactness to do it another way. But that's still a few years off, and that guess is worth exactly what you paid for it.
    02-09-12 07:48 AM
    I'm also confused. I've never bothered with predictive text, but after reading this thread, I turned it on, on my 9900. I kept auto-text on as well, for my hundreds of abbreviations.

So, as soon as I type two letters on my hardware keyboard, the OS starts to offer me word predictions, usually three at a time. Isn't it the same on the touch keyboard? How else would predictive text work?
    That's essentially it in a nutshell. As I understand it (and perhaps a developer could confirm this) the predictive text feature on most Blackberry phones is very basic when compared to their Android counterparts. The predictive text feature that I am using for my Android phone swamps me with suggestions.

Some of those applications (for Android) are constantly sending feedback and various bits of information back to the developers of these applications. It drains battery power, and a gob of text options doesn't always result in something that I can actually use. It's usually one of the first things that I disable when I set-up a phone regardless of who manufactures it.
    02-09-12 08:54 AM

Brother its on the 9800 too. So dang aggravating too. As your typing the word morphs lol. I hate predictive text.
    02-09-12 11:21 AM

Brother its on the 9800 too. So dang aggravating too. As your typing the word morphs lol. I hate predictive text.
    02-09-12 11:39 AM
    Keyboards will be around as its a must need for those typing long emails!
    LOL...some of us do type long emails on our touchscreens.

Mobile post via Tapatalk
    02-09-12 11:46 AM
    Comes in handy when you're typing in two different languages, but it's a pain in English, slows me down.
    02-09-12 11:46 AM
    I love my physical keyboard and prefer it to virtual ones. I just type more quickly on them and, as the OP stated, any edit options just seem easier with keyboard and trackpad. Plus, I don't care for the predictive typing - it slows me down and it's easier to make mistakes by choosing the wrong word if I'm trying to be quick.

My niece and many of her friends also prefer a physical keyboard and they are in their teens, so it's not just the older people wanting physical boards. Even though she would like to have an iphone, she never would because of only having the touchscreen. I know she's using a Samsung now, but she's tried talking me out of my Torch several times since it has full screen and full physical keyboard!

There are still many people, younger and older, who prefer the physical keyboards so I don't think they will be leaving anytime soon.
    02-09-12 12:44 PM
    So dang aggravating too... I hate predictive text.
    Then turn it off. On Apple and Android you can turn it off. You knew that right? Can't you simply turn it off on a BB phone?
    02-09-12 01:45 PM
    Then turn it off. On Apple and Android you can turn it off. You knew that right? Can't you simply turn it off on a BB phone?
    You can. Easy Peasy.
    02-09-12 01:50 PM
    Lmao. Yea I know it can be turned off. Matter of fact its off by default. I don't use it cause its a pita. I'm not going to repeat the conversation, bit I wssnt complaining about prodictitive txt. Let's just put it that way.
    Hey bel. I'm lucky to speak/type 1 language my hat is off to ya brother.
    02-09-12 04:49 PM
    I've had BBs for years, and never turned predictive text on until today. I've learned that the BB will learn my auto-text abbreviations and stop trying to guess other words for them, once I've used them a few times, so it eventually doesn't interfere. And I'm finding that for longer words that I don't have shorthand for, it's occasionally (words like "occasionally"). So I think I'll keep it turned on for a while and see how it goes. Anything that speeds up text entry is good. I'm already pretty fast using auto-text; this can only help, once it stops trying to correct my auto-text abbreviations.
    02-09-12 04:55 PM
    That's essentially it in a nutshell. As I understand it (and perhaps a developer could confirm this) the predictive text feature on most Blackberry phones is very basic when compared to their Android counterparts. The predictive text feature that I am using for my Android phone swamps me with suggestions.

Some of those applications (for Android) are constantly sending feedback and various bits of information back to the developers of these applications. It drains battery power, and a gob of text options doesn't always result in something that I can actually use. It's usually one of the first things that I disable when I set-up a phone regardless of who manufactures it.
    I'd like to say that if you are using a keyboard that is sending information back to server based on how you type, you are using the wrong keyboard, leaves passwords and such wide open. You need one with logistics and suggestions to be determined om the hand set

Sent from my fingers to you eye socket using my Cyanogen powered Android.
    02-09-12 05:04 PM
199 ... 23456 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD