I love my classic and it's pkb but, I'll be blunt in saying a touchscreen device would have been a much better device for me and my company, I own a ceramic tile business and dust gets everywhere, including gaps between physical keys, a virtual keyboard doesn't have keys sticking because there is dust in the gaps. So no. You are very wrong in saying they are better, they can be for certain things ( texting and driving) do not try! But I can type much faster and accurately on my z30. So the old benefit of the pkb is no longer there, and for work like I do or anyone who isn't an office worker, and isn't afraid to actually do something in the real world and get dirty a touchscreen is much better, it's much more resistant to the environment, only thing you have to worry about is cracking it, even then unless you have the z10 u can still use your phone lol

Posted from My very Classy Classic
    Yep, to this day I'm amazed that BB never offered a ruggedized model line. That line might likely be a touch only concept. More moving parts might generally mean more trouble but we've encountered environmental conditions that are incompatible with capacitive hmi so... all depends on individual requirements. That's the problem with "blanket statements". I carry various devices depending on expected needs for the day. We get out of the office pretty routinely also. Try keeping ferrous nano dust out of magnetically switched anything. My Z30 does get used. If possible, I just avoid heavy spreadsheet editing for my PKB Classic until in a more suitable environment. Not always possible but we have yet to experience reliability issues with our Classic's KB. Fwiw. Knock on wood. Still a shame for BB to leave ruggedized niche to Casio, etc.
    02-15-16 11:39 AM
    SE was my first blackberry ever, so no nostalgia factor but love the tactile feedback nonetheless.
    02-15-16 02:05 PM
    Just realized one more advantage for the pkb.

I can type very comfortably WITH my Mechanix gloves on, thanks to the ridges. There is no way I can do that with vkb.

I have taken this for granted that I forgot to mention it.

I wrote this entire thing with my gloves on.

Posted via CB10
    idssteve likes this.
    02-16-16 09:46 PM
    I love my classic and it's pkb but, I'll be blunt in saying a touchscreen device would have been a much better device for me and my company, I own a ceramic tile business and dust gets everywhere, including gaps between physical keys, a virtual keyboard doesn't have keys sticking because there is dust in the gaps. So no. You are very wrong in saying they are better, they can be for certain things ( texting and driving) do not try! But I can type much faster and accurately on my z30. So the old benefit of the pkb is no longer there, and for work like I do or anyone who isn't an office worker, and isn't afraid to actually do something in the real world and get dirty a touchscreen is much better, it's much more resistant to the environment, only thing you have to worry about is cracking it, even then unless you have the z10 u can still use your phone lol

Posted from My very Classy Classic
    To be fair, no phone can withstand dust unless it is specifically ruggidized.

Even the Z10 and the Z30 with vkb still have speaker holes which can be compromised by dust.

Posted via CB10
    02-16-16 09:51 PM
    Just speculating: if you are in a very dusty environment would it work to use a waterproof case? I don't have one but the advertising says for some of them that the phone is supposed to work with the case on it.
    02-18-16 11:38 PM
    Yep, to this day I'm amazed that BB never offered a ruggedized model line. That line might likely be a touch only concept. More moving parts might generally mean more trouble but we've encountered environmental conditions that are incompatible with capacitive hmi so... all depends on individual requirements. That's the problem with "blanket statements". I carry various devices depending on expected needs for the day. We get out of the office pretty routinely also. Try keeping ferrous nano dust out of magnetically switched anything. My Z30 does get used. If possible, I just avoid heavy spreadsheet editing for my PKB Classic until in a more suitable environment. Not always possible but we have yet to experience reliability issues with our Classic's KB. Fwiw. Knock on wood. Still a shame for BB to leave ruggedized niche to Casio, etc.
    You know they sell dust-proof cases for that type of thing. For what you're talking about I wouldn't trust an all touch to be less resistant to dust than a PKB.

Posted via CB10
    02-19-16 07:11 AM
    You know they sell dust-proof cases for that type of thing. For what you're talking about I wouldn't trust an all touch to be less resistant to dust than a PKB.

Posted via CB10
    Yep, dust & moisture gets them all. My poor old Z10 suffered premature fatality to HOT coffee with cream & sugar. Long story. Pathetic thing never regained consciousness, despite multiple surgeries. Lol.

Ferro magnetic dust is a particular (pun intended lol) problem because it collects on the outside of virtually anything covering the magnetic components of a device. Just waiting to jump toward the magnetic components of the device as it's removed. Best solution so far has been to blast the outside with shop air before leaving the area. Still jumps from clothing, tho. A real pitn.

We've had virtually zero problems attributable to pkb but I can see where someone might. On the other hand, we've had crews complain about capacitive touch hmi issues in ultra low humidity environments so... Nothing is perfect.

I, personally, prefer my devices naked because charging & car cradles generally prefer naked devices. if conditions force covering, I'd rather use a pkb Classic or 9900 thru a ziplock baggie than a Z. IMO.
    02-19-16 08:05 AM
    I am faster on my z10/z30 than the q5 I am typing this post on, but am certainly more accurate on the Q5.

Posted via CB10
    02-19-16 06:48 PM
    PKB is all it's need and yes certain situations are demanding different devices... yep a fully rugged beast always coming handy... and well the Sonim actually holding up for at least 14 days without any charging but the Classic is more convenience anyway.
    Physical Keyboards ARE Better!-img_20160220_131014.jpg

Posted either via -Passport SQW100-1 or -Classic SQC100-1 / 10.3.++
    02-20-16 06:11 AM
    Lol... Sonim's an interesting offering. I teased some coworkers here in the breakroom that IT had ordered us these... Lol. Few found it funny. No qwerty that I can find, tho.
    02-20-16 08:10 AM
    While there is debate as to whether a pkb is superior to a vkb I think we can all agree that physical home buttons suck.
    skstrials likes this.
    02-20-16 08:15 AM
    While there is debate as to whether a pkb is superior to a vkb I think we can all agree that physical home buttons suck.
    Nope... I prefer a physical home button over the virtual one. Too easy to hit the virtual home button by mistake. On this point, I prefer the back virtual button to be on the right side.
    02-20-16 11:48 AM
    Don't forget the sea of feature phones in the world that use a keyboard.

Posted from a wireless charging Passport. Get one!
    02-20-16 11:48 AM
63 123