I keep hearing people say that they can (almost) replace their laptop PCs with their phones or tablets f running iOS or Android.

As someone who carries my PC absolutely everywhere, I can't understand how that is possible for anything other than writing and browsing functions, which is what I use my phone for.

I'd love to hear from people who have made a mobile phone or tablet their primary device. Please share what you do to make that work, and what apps you use.

Thanks!

Posted with my trusty Z10
    09-07-17 08:48 AM
    At work I use a PC everyday.... but, I can see things are changing even here. Will still have the larger interfaces, but everything is becoming web interfaces. I think we just bought our last physical server. And most desktops these days are merely browser interfaces.

At home, I haven't opened my Laptop in months as my Surface Pro does everything it could do for me.
    Some of my grown kids don't even own a PC or a Laptop at this point.
    09-07-17 08:57 AM
    Not criticizing you but this is a very "developed nation" (and tech site oriented) POV. For millions of people, the modern smartphone is their first personal computer and one that has had significant material impact on their lives.
    09-07-17 08:58 AM
    Tablet might. A phone won't.

It's really driven by business who wants to extract more from workers personal time...increasing profits. If you accept working on a phone instead of a laptop you are a poor Slave. Imo
    Sent from one of my SE Passports using BB10 superior software.
    Last edited by Zeratul57; 09-07-17 at 10:38 AM.
    09-07-17 09:00 AM
    Not criticizing you but this is a very "developed nation" (and tech site oriented) POV. For millions of people, the modern smartphone is their first personal computer and one that has had significant material impact on their lives.
    That's an excellent point. As someone who does 90% of my paid work using tools that simply don't work on mobile phones and tablets, I'm trying to understand how people can replace their PCs in a professional setting.

Obviously, their are billions of people who don't need a computer for their primary occupation, so that a mobile device is largely sufficient for Web browsing and communicating.

09-07-17 09:10 AM
    I haven't owned a desktop pc since 2009, when it gave up the ghost. We use HP Elite X2 at school, which serves me well enough. my phone supplements my teaching by giving me notifications from apps we use in class, and access to Google. At home, I use a laptop, but rarely use my Surface, and my PlayBook is now just a weather terminal, and occasionally a media player.

Basically, my phone and my laptop are all I need to do my job.
    09-07-17 01:23 PM
    I haven't owned a desktop pc since 2009, when it gave up the ghost. We use HP Elite X2 at school, which serves me well enough. my phone supplements my teaching by giving me notifications from apps we use in class, and access to Google. At home, I use a laptop, but rarely use my Surface, and my PlayBook is now just a weather terminal, and occasionally a media player.

Basically, my phone and my laptop are all I need to do my job.
    Yes, laptops have gotten very powerful. What I'm curious about is how some professionals claim they can work without a Windows/Mac OS/Linux system AT ALL, just using iOS/Android. I just can't see it.

09-07-17 01:31 PM
    My profession is architecture, and while the PC replaced the drafting table and t-square, I don't see the phone replacing the PC.

Until I can design, draw, detail, and publish 50 to 150 page large size construction drawings and 500 page specification documents efficiently on a 5.5" screen using AutoCAD, Revit, Navisworks, Bluebeam, Photoshop, and the various Office programs... I just don't see the smartphone (or any tablet, for that matter) replacing a PC anytime soon.

Oh, and I still do a lot of hand drawing, sketching and renderings along with all the computer generated 3D modeling stuff. So I still have my drafting table and various triangles, templates, colored pencils and markers.

Now, my phone is a tool in the design and construction process (view online posts of the BIM model for clients, view PDFs of construction drawings with contractors), but it could never be the sole instrument of that process.
    duncan86 likes this.
    09-07-17 01:56 PM
    A smartphone is a good tool, but I work in an office setting, often on multiple projects simultaneously. I wouldn't ever want to rely only on a smartphone.

Even using our Outlook mobile email becomes troublesome when we are out of the office.
    09-07-17 03:03 PM
    OMG, someone that I know just dropped an iPhone 7..... in a toilet!!

Why oh why do people do that? Unless you are out in public, why can't you leave the phone in a safe place for 5 minutes??????
    09-07-17 03:11 PM
    I do all my "work" on a Surface Pro 4.

It really can replace a classic, bulky laptop.
    09-07-17 03:50 PM

Why oh why do people do that? Unless you are out in public, why can't you leave the phone in a safe place for 5 minutes??????
    Because people have forgotten what it's like to have quiet time to themselves. That, or your friend was seriously testing if waterproof included a wider range of fluids.

ROFL

09-07-17 04:09 PM
    I do all my "work" on a Surface Pro 4.

It really can replace a classic, bulky laptop.
    Yes, that makes sense because it can run full-features productivity apps. I've yet to see an Android/iOS device that could get me through a single half day of actual work.

09-07-17 04:11 PM
    OP, I don't see it for next 3 years for PC to be obsolete. I can use smart phone for email, browsing, check stock update, news, map, anything that need to be updated constantly. But not the task that required long time dedication, like coding, write a novel (or even a paper). I did try to use tablet for 3D printing design file and gaved up (was going to buy a ipad, but after try on other tablet, I decided not to). Tablet is great for face time, skype, even shoot movie (still waiting for dual camera version), you need mobile, flexible, - but when you need to edit and incorperated with music, try it on tablet alone is pain. Current trend is robotic automation for majority of the tasks, try to code on tablet -without key, or phone? you got be kidding me (young chaps might have better precision typing on touch screen... If you add key board to tablet? you might as well get a PC or Mac... The capability of memory expansion of PC is another, not so easy for phone and tablet. Let's not mention computer simulation, PC might be a terminal, but still better interface than phone (you see your result better than phone)... Tablet and phone are excellent for mobile usage, for work, PC still needed for the moment... I am waiting 5G network come out, what happen to PC may be different story at that time... (holding tablet on beach to code? Any of your software guys did that? how does it feel... don't tell me the answer after few beers... that could be very fuzzy and warm).
    09-07-17 04:35 PM

So, now the question is, in addition to being waterproof, is the iPhone 7 bleach proof? LOL

09-07-17 04:42 PM
    I can see it. Not as a stand alone device but one that would pair with a display, keyboard and mouse automatically without having to remove from your pocket. No need to email or transfer files to and from a phone. Processor speed would have to increase and display resolution would have to be adjusted to find that sweet spot
    09-07-17 07:45 PM

If I had a dollar for every time I thought "just one more ban before I flush".

But seriously, I prefer to do almost everything on my phone, and have for many, many years. There are however, things for which there is no substitute. With work, it's a combo platter. I couldn't function giving up either.
    09-07-17 08:02 PM
    If I had a dollar for every time I thought "just one more ban before I flush".

But seriously, I prefer to do almost everything on my phone, and have for many, many years. There are however, things for which there is no substitute. With work, it's a combo platter. I couldn't function giving up either.
    Yeah. Another advantage of PCs over phones. I've never heard of anyone dropping a PC in a toilet or swimming pool accidentally. THEY don't need to be waterproof!

09-07-17 08:33 PM
    Yeah. Another advantage of PCs over phones. I've never heard of anyone dropping a PC in a toilet or swimming pool accidentally. THEY don't need to be waterproof!

This is my work PC. Working on trucks, it needs to be capable of enduring almost anything.
    duncan86 likes this.
    09-07-17 08:51 PM
    I still prefer a full keyboard and PC to get real 'work' done - I can type faster and do more on a full-featured PC whether replying to emails at work or surfing websites at home. I use my PKB device to do the on-the-go things like quick email replies and checking social media and surfing sites. The bigger screens on my work and personal PCs are also nice, as is the multi-tasking I can do (having a podcast play on one screen while the other shows my workspace.) My BB device can do a lot of things, but at the end of the day, for me there's something to be said for sitting in a comfy chair and actually banging some work out with a couple of large screens.
    09-07-17 11:53 PM
    I think they can already replace them. A bluetooth mouse and keyboard, I like the hdmi port more for projecting to a large screen but miracast is ok too. Other than disk related tasks there isnt much else. The native apps cover it depending on your knowledge and strategy.

Posted via CB10
    09-08-17 01:52 AM
    I think they can already replace them. A bluetooth mouse and keyboard, I like the hdmi port more for projecting to a large screen but miracast is ok too. Other than disk related tasks there isnt much else. The native apps cover it depending on your knowledge and strategy.

Posted via CB10
    I'm just curious...what kind of work do you do? Because I can't really do anything other than client communications effectively. If all I did was sales, I might be able to do 75% of my work without a PC, but for any actual delivery of what I sell, I need better applications, a better interface, and much more processing horsepower.

duncan86 likes this.
    09-08-17 06:53 AM
    I'm just curious...what kind of work do you do? Because I can't really do anything other than client communications effectively. If all I did was sales, I might be able to do 75% of my work without a PC, but for any actual delivery of what I sell, I need better applications, a better interface, and much more processing horsepower.

Server side automation and remote PC access might be a solution to delivery.

Posted via CB10
    09-08-17 07:34 AM
    I honestly think that phones will take some parts (mostly) of a traditional PC.

Like:
    - E-mail handling, because it's very convenient on the go.
    - Gaming, since the hardware is getting more powerful each year.
    - watching movies, very convenient in bed or on the couch.

But I doubt that smartphones and tablets will ever replace a "real PC", as we know it.
    Sitting comfortable infront of a big screen, with a real old-fashion keyboard to type in and a mouse still is the best experience to have when you have a "9-to-5-work-day".
    I can't and I'm not willing to imagine typing on a glass glas screen for that. Yuck!

So I personal don't see the end of the PC area anytime soon.

Posted via CB10
    09-08-17 07:49 AM
    I honestly think that phones will take some parts (mostly) of a traditional PC.

Like:
    - E-mail handling, because it's very convenient on the go.
    - Gaming, since the hardware is getting more powerful each year.
    - watching movies, very convenient in bed or on the couch.

But I doubt that smartphones and tablets will ever replace a "real PC", as we know it.
    Sitting comfortable infront of a big screen, with a real old-fashion keyboard to type in and a mouse still is the best experience to have when you have a "9-to-5-work-day".
    I can't and I'm not willing to imagine typing on a glass glas screen for that. Yuck!

So I personal don't see the end of the PC area anytime soon.

Posted via CB10
    That's my conclusion as well, but I wanted to ask the community because I keep hearing people say they don't need a PC, and it makes me wonder what they actually do besides type in various apps, take photos, and use the Web.

duncan86 likes this.
    09-08-17 07:59 AM
64 123