Classics and other BB10 devices are now so ridiculously cheap to purchase that it is simple to stockpile the devices... Currently running my original Classic, but I also have a Blue Classic and another Black Classic new in the box ready to go... And I continuously am purchasing devices as I see them discounted... Eyeing up the SE Passports currently to add to the mix... Battery can go down, I'll have another ready to take its place...

Posted via CB10
    No matter how cheap those phones are. They are still more expensive than batteries only.

In terms of, using BlackBerry 10 phonesd for the mentioned tasks in the OP, it should last a long time. The limiting factor would be the hardware not the OS.

Posted via CB10
    05-21-16 02:22 PM
    Were BlackBerry to shutdown it's servers, I believe you'd continue to use the phone. That is until you do anything such as a factory restore or autoloader. Without being able to log into BBID, it would then be rendered useless.
    05-21-16 04:33 PM
    No matter how cheap those phones are. They are still more expensive than batteries only.
    True, but its good to have backup devices as a whole if you are looking to ride one out into the setting sun... The battery is likely to go 1st, but other pieces of the device can begin to deteriorate as well, just more of a payoff for me personally to stockpile EOL devices than hoard the batteries alone...

Posted via CB10
    05-21-16 06:40 PM
    OP asked about calls, sms, email, and mms.
    I'm thinking BB10 could do those things for a long time.

ClassicSQC100-3/10.3.2.858
    05-26-16 10:55 PM
    I have an ancient Siemens that still works, and it is at least 15 years old. As a device for phone calls and simple texting, BlackBerry should continue to work so long as you don't need to rely on a BBID for anything

Posted via CB10
    05-28-16 08:02 AM
    05-28-16 01:01 PM
    Classics and other BB10 devices are now so ridiculously cheap to purchase that it is simple to stockpile the devices... Currently running my original Classic, but I also have a Blue Classic and another Black Classic new in the box ready to go... And I continuously am purchasing devices as I see them discounted... Eyeing up the SE Passports currently to add to the mix... Battery can go down, I'll have another ready to take its place...

Posted via CB10
    The lithium battery degrades even when storing. It is best stored at 30-40% charge, afaik... :-)

(PlayBook resellers were taking the devices out to charge every now and then, and maybe still do...)

�   There's a Crack in the Berry right now...   �
    05-29-16 05:56 PM
32 12