I have had multiple bb phones in the past and have been satisfied with the phone overall, but after downloading/installing the verizon update today I am pretty fed up with the slow web browser (would have figured the update would have sped it up some), sick of the freezing, incompatable file formats, the numerous pocket dials (extremely embarrasing when you find out someone was listening to private conversations. Is it just me or is RIM/BB a thing of the past? Are there any new BB phones coming out for verizon that won't leave me frustrated/regret upgrading to another BB or should I see what the iphone/android have to offer.

-Frustrated BB owner
    02-07-12 05:55 PM
    Well if you're unhappy with the browser. iOS has a decent one. The new BB10 phones are coming out in the fall and should have a much much better browser. I'm using an OS7 device with opera and I'm quite happy with it.

As for RIM being a thing of the past. well you're on a Blackberry site so at LEAST 50% of people would say you're wrong and the other 50% show up to say they are going under and suck etc....Do some research and choose the device thats best for you. Though I have my suspicions as to whether this thread is a legit poster or not. If so I apologize

Oh and Blackberries have a lock button to avoid pocket dials.

02-07-12 06:04 PM
    Here we go again with a great first post thread. What ever happened to " Hi, I'm Joaquin, new guy on the block and I'm a long time BB user....?"
    VanCity778 likes this.
    02-07-12 06:13 PM
    This is a legitimate thread yes, I have loved all my bb's and really haven't had any problems, I love the keyboard and how simple everything is to use I just don't want to upgrade and find out the new BB phone is sub-par to others on the market. Any idea as to when the BB10 comes out and will it be available for verizon? My 9650 has been fairly reliable for the abuse its endured the past few years. Also, any word of the newer bb's being able to open multiple file types?
    02-07-12 06:17 PM
    Only you can make the decision.
    02-07-12 06:18 PM
    The new phones are definitely not sub-par - they're excellent

Put the phone in a leather sleeve if you're worried about pocket dials. The BB leather sleeves are top quality. I have one for my 9800.

Get the latest BB phone and pair it with the playbook. The browser on the playbook is excellent when compared to any smartphone
    02-07-12 06:25 PM
    This is a legitimate thread yes, I have loved all my bb's and really haven't had any problems, I love the keyboard and how simple everything is to use I just don't want to upgrade and find out the new BB phone is sub-par to others on the market. Any idea as to when the BB10 comes out and will it be available for verizon? My 9650 has been fairly reliable for the abuse its endured the past few years. Also, any word of the newer bb's being able to open multiple file types?

Which file attachments won't open
    02-07-12 06:29 PM
    I apologize if this was legit. If you look around the forums, its been flame war central for a while. My bad.
    Anyway, like I said maybe Apple is for you? But what do you like about Blackberry phones? That would probably help narrow down any recommendations people may have.
    As for BB10 its supposedly to be released around Sept. No firm date yet, it will be dual core, full touch screen and based on the same OS that runs the play book. Lots of infor on these fourms about it and the current 7.0 phones. I love my 9790. Good size, keyboard and a touch screen. Best of both worlds in my books and it does everything I need. Opera is still a better browser in my books than the blackberry browser though.
    02-07-12 06:33 PM
    Pdf's have a hard time opening, not sure if its the phone or gmail or what, mp4 files don't open, probably a license thing from apple? Some microsoft office files don't open either.
    02-07-12 06:39 PM
    Do some research then make a decision. Go to the store and play with a few, then you will be back with BB
    02-07-12 06:40 PM
    As much as I would like to sing the praises of RIM/BB, I don't want to use up that much bandwidth. Use the search function, and I am confident the answers you seek will be objectively presented. If it's just opinions that you seek, you will find that in your search as well.
    02-07-12 06:46 PM
    Well, it all depends on what you want out of your phone. If the browser is the main thing, then go to the Verizon store and play with all the browsers and see which one works the way you like. From my expierence, the iphone's is the best, windows phone is second, bbos7 is third, with andriod gingerbread fourth (haven't played with ICS yet).

Play around with a torch 9850 and bold 9900 (30?) and see how well those work for you. Or if you can, wait till the end of the year, by then you can take a look at BB10 devices which should be great, along with iphone 5, andriod jelly bean, and windows Apollo.
    02-07-12 07:16 PM
    Pdf's have a hard time opening, not sure if its the phone or gmail or what, mp4 files don't open, probably a license thing from apple? Some microsoft office files don't open either.

I have no problems opening pdfs. OS7 phones come with Docs to Go, that'll open your pdfs and MS Office files

Obviously you won't be able to open Apple DRM protected music files...but if you're able to convert the song in iTunes to an mp4 then OS7 phones will play it - the email attachment.

But you do know that currently the BIS email limit for attachment size is around 8-9 MB right

FYI - If you get a General Failure message and your email attachment is less than 9 MB then it could be your email service. Ex. hotmail has a ~2-3 MB attachment limit

Be Bold
    02-07-12 07:40 PM
    Well currently Verizon has the 9930 and the 9850 models. I would skip the other Curve models they have offered and go straight for these two as they are the best products BB currently offer.

The Bold does have two advantages, the physical keyboard and the NFC capabilities but neither of them were that big a deal to me so I went with the 9860 and so far I have better battery life than all my friends with 9930.

I think you will be very happy with the browser performance on both of these phones as they are considerably faster than my old 9700 with OS 5 and OS 6 and yes they do give the iPhone a run for its money in terms of speed if not outright beating it(it doesn't).

The only thing they lack is apps, but if you aren't a big app fan and want a phone that is very usable with a minimal time needed to learn it then they could both be great for you.

I do recommend you go into the store though and try as many phones as you can just to see what does it for you.

As for BB10 I do recommend waiting if you can, but if you can't I don't think you will be disappointed with these ones.
    02-07-12 08:28 PM
    IMHO if you need others to verify your choice in a smartphone you should move on...

You can list all what you like, but someone else's opinion doesn't matter in this case...it's up to you as a user to know what you want from a smartphone
    cntrydncr223 and BigBadWulf like this.
    02-07-12 09:31 PM
    Stick it out until BB10 , and then decide after that if BB is for you that would be fair
    02-07-12 09:36 PM
    IMHO if you need others to verify your choice in a smartphone you should move on...

You can list all what you like, but someone else's opinion doesn't matter in this case...it's up to you as a user to know what you want from a smartphone
    totally agree with u here
    02-07-12 09:38 PM
    There's some awesome reviews on this very site for all the new BBOS7 phones. Or you could try to cross-compare any models your interested in at a site like geekaphone.com. Keep in mind though that geekaphone doesn't take into consideration things like user experience, or the fact that the Bold 9900 keyboard is way better than the one on the HTC ChaCha; they just do specs.
    02-07-12 10:22 PM
    My advice is go play with some devices - you can play with iPhone's at any apple store and not be pressured into a sale - android/bb play with at you carriers store and make a decision -

I left years ago and still pop in here from time to time... Not to ever return to bb just to offer good advice
    02-08-12 05:08 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD