While poking around in my profiles, and learning the in's & out's of profiles and exceptions, I stumbled upon the "Do Not Disturb" yes/no setting at the bottom when you edit the "Phone" alert of a profile.

I am curious what it's purpose/use is, especially given the "mute" setting above. It does not appear documented in the User Manual that I can find.
    06-11-08 03:46 PM
    My best guess (seeing as I do not have the luxury of using this option) would be that the phone simply won't alert you. Now, as to whether or not missed calles and messages are still logged in DND mode... hmm... I would think so?
    06-11-08 04:02 PM
    It forwards all calls to voicemail.
    06-11-08 04:13 PM
    It forwards all calls to voicemail.
    Do texts still come through as normal priority?
    06-11-08 04:14 PM
    Do texts still come through as normal priority?

that would be sweet if it allowed this!!
    06-11-08 04:18 PM
    I've never used the setting so I don't really know.
    06-11-08 04:23 PM
    sunkast... I look to you to know all. I'm disapponted.
    06-11-08 04:25 PM
    Call waiting is turned off as well

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    06-11-08 04:27 PM
    That's good to know, I'll have to keep this in mind. There are times I don't want to be bothered but still need access to my calendar and e-mail. Nice little added bonus. You learn something new here every day!
    06-11-08 08:03 PM
    Okay... I tested things out.

The DND option under profiles does send calls to voicemail. As far as I can tell it is identical to you hitting end when you see a call come in, without you having to actually do it.

When I called my BB with the option turned on, it rang once and went to VM. It did show up as a missed call on my BB.

All other alerts happen as they are defined in the profile... so if you have SMS set to play a tune and vibrate, it will... same with anything else you have set.

Hope this helps people!
    06-12-08 12:36 AM
    So seems like the main benefit of this option is that it allows you to leave everything else on, yet have your phone ring only once and you don't have to manually end the call.

So, one could setup a DND profile, in addition to the Normal, Quiet, Loud, etc.

cool
    06-12-08 01:35 AM
    So seems like the main benefit of this option is that it allows you to leave everything else on, yet have your phone ring only once and you don't have to manually end the call.

So, one could setup a DND profile, in addition to the Normal, Quiet, Loud, etc.

cool
    Sorry, guess I wasn't descriptive enough. The blackberry does not ring... when I called my BlackBerry the phone I called from registered one ring, but the blackberry made no sound. Just displayed that there was a missed call.
    06-12-08 02:03 AM
    I guess DND mode is a plus- no need to turn phone functions off and still receive everything else as expected. What I'd like to know is if DND can be set for certain people and not just overall the entire phone.
    06-12-08 03:58 AM
    I guess DND mode is a plus- no need to turn phone functions off and still receive everything else as expected. What I'd like to know is if DND can be set for certain people and not just overall the entire phone.
    You might be able to if you make a profile exception for the contact.
    06-12-08 11:47 AM
    That's good to know.
    06-12-08 12:19 PM
    So let me see if I am understanding this correctly. Basically all DND does is silence the phone and send calls straight to voicemail. Hmm. Seems like I could live without DND and just put my phone to silent.
    06-12-08 12:53 PM
    So let me see if I am understanding this correctly. Basically all DND does is silence the phone and send calls straight to voicemail. Hmm. Seems like I could live without DND and just put my phone to silent.
    Jena, if I understand the whole DND mode- if your phone is on silent, you'll get the standards number of rings (3-4); you just wont hear them.

But on DND mode, the call automatically goes to VM; your phone doesnt ring. Calls are going straight to VM and you'll get the missed call notification.
    06-12-08 12:59 PM
    Jena, if I understand the whole DND mode- if your phone is on silent, you'll get the standards number of rings (3-4); you just wont hear them.

But on DND mode, the call automatically goes to VM; your phone doesnt ring. Calls are going straight to VM and you'll get the missed call notification.
    I know, I understand that.

But what I'm saying is.... I think I would just rather have my phone on silent. I mean, sure it's going to ring through instead of going straight to VM.. But I won't know, because I won't hear my phone ring anyway!
    06-12-08 01:01 PM
    I know, I understand that.

But what I'm saying is.... I think I would just rather have my phone on silent. I mean, sure it's going to ring through instead of going straight to VM.. But I won't know, because I won't hear my phone ring anyway!
    But with DND mode people will think you have no service because of the single ring, and not that you are just ignoring them.
    06-12-08 01:08 PM
    But with DND mode people will think you have no service because of the single ring, and not that you are just ignoring them.
    Very true!

For me personally, however, this would cause an issue for sure... Everyone who really knows me knows that I never turn my phone off in case my boss needs to get a hold of me, or (God forbid) in case of a family emergency. So if my phone was off they'd surely think something was wrong.

However, I am in and out of meetings all day, so if my phone rings all the way through, people just assume I'm busy. I guess it's just a personal thing.
    06-12-08 01:16 PM
    I've never used the setting so I don't really know.
    Im sorry but i wasnt prepared to see sunkast type "i dont really know"
    i almost spit hot coffee all over the lcd

thanks crackedbanker for your clarification
    anyone who knows me knows that i may or may not answer the phone, maybe in the future i can use dnd
    06-12-08 02:16 PM
    I've been wanting to do this since I bought my first BB (8700). I stumbled upon the DND feature and I thought it was the best thing since sliced bread. Honestly, it's the MAIN REASON why I own a BB. I was toying with the idea of getting a Treo (it was really cheap) and when I discovered no DND, that idea quickly left my head. No other phone that I know of has this option.

Ideally, what I would like to do is:

A. Be able to have my phone in a profile (say Normal) and be able to create an exception for a contact and have that contact "use profile" DND (which theoretically is supposed to bump that person straight to vmail). Wouldn't this be the best ever??? I've tested this and spent 1.5 hours on the phone with BB Tech support and it simple will not work for whatever reason. It will however work if I use a different profile other than DND (say Vibrate).

B. Be able to have my phone in a DND state and be able to create an exception for a contact to have that contact "use profile" whatever (say Normal) and the phone ring normally when they call. This doesn't work either...I've tested it. The phone goes to vmail no matter what.

I wonder if and when RIM will straighten this out???

It's great to be able to have your phone in an OFF state to others (i.e. DND) and still be able to see who is calling and still receive txts, etc.
    07-23-08 06:08 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD