My apologies if this is the improper forum to post this in. With all the news of the phone hacking scandal in the UK I haven't heard of any mention on the type of phone that's being hacked. Has that information been released yet?
    07-19-11 12:22 AM
    I wouldn't mind hazarding a guess that it's the one of the two brands that are very famous and very commonly hacked and\or troganed.

Sent from my NookColor using Tapatalk
    07-19-11 12:37 AM
    This is a good question. I am curious to know as well.
    07-19-11 12:38 AM
    Not the phones themselves, rather services attached to the device(s).
    Like Voicemail.
    07-19-11 12:38 AM
    Milly Dowler was killed in 2002. Chances are she had a dumbphone, since not many consumers, especially kids, had smartphones in 2002.
    07-19-11 12:43 AM
    One thing is for sure, if they were BB's bgr and the rest of the media would have had it covered.
    Jake Storm likes this.
    07-19-11 12:59 AM
    From what I have read, it seems to have been voicemail hacking.
    07-19-11 01:00 AM
    07-19-11 01:14 AM
    Lak611. Thankyou for this info it explains the situation very clearly, I was aware that it was the network rather than the phone that was hacked but didn't understand how. I work in health so this is very worrying. I was also concerned that the hackers can pretend to be useing your phone, I don't want to know how unless we can stop it, can text messages be protected in the same way. I assume BlackBerry messenger is safe because of the pin. Do you know if BBM conversation is recorded on a server? I only ask as a precaution to raise my awareness.
    07-19-11 03:06 AM
    On BES, all messages are recorded by the server and can be read by your employer. The connection between BB and BES is secure, though.

On BIS, I would assume the carrier can do the same thing, although they probably don't worry about such things unless they receive a court order.

BBM encryption uses a generic key, so even though messages are encrypted between BB and server, they all use the same set of keys.
    daveycrocket likes this.
    07-19-11 06:37 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD