My contract with AT&T is up June 2nd. Seeing that neither of the two new Blackberrys will be out by then, I need assistance choosing another Blackberry. I currently have the Curve 8900, previously had the Pearl. I do not need to stay with AT&T, I can also switch to Verizon or T-Mobile. I know all those carriers have outdated Blackberrys but with a contract up I cannot wait until the new ones are released, they will then just charge me the full non-contract price if I buy one of the new ones when it comes out, $500+ is just too much.
    I greatly dislike Android phones and would prefer not to have to downgrade to an iPhone.. Any help would be great! Thanks!
    05-10-11 04:58 PM
    You can get a 9780 at T Mobile for a great price(maybe free with a 2 year contract) and their contract/data prices are fairly priced as well. T Mobile also has awesome customer service............
    05-10-11 05:22 PM
    I had same dilemma, and opted to buy an off-contract BB Tour from craigslist until the new BB's are released, and it works great. ($50) Just make sure the BB is compatible with the carrier you choose. (Searched for "US Cellular Blackberry") Local seller is key. Good luck!
    05-10-11 05:25 PM
    My contract with AT&T is up June 2nd. Seeing that neither of the two new Blackberrys will be out by then, I need assistance choosing another Blackberry. I currently have the Curve 8900, previously had the Pearl. I do not need to stay with AT&T, I can also switch to Verizon or T-Mobile. I know all those carriers have outdated Blackberrys but with a contract up I cannot wait until the new ones are released, they will then just charge me the full non-contract price if I buy one of the new ones when it comes out, $500+ is just too much.
    I greatly dislike Android phones and would prefer not to have to downgrade to an iPhone.. Any help would be great! Thanks!
    I feel for you. I had to make the same decision because my contract was up so I went with the Torch and have to say I love it. I would say go to each forum of each phone and see what people say about their phones.
    05-10-11 05:27 PM
    Why not go month to month until the carriers announce what blackberries they will be carrying (and whats even coming out) and then decide? I'm guessing its probably only a couple months off, if that. (hopefully)
    05-10-11 06:06 PM
    Your post reads as if you're required to upgrade just because your contract is ending. If there aren't any devices you like currently available, why not just delay the upgrade?

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    05-10-11 07:24 PM
    Your post reads as if you're required to upgrade just because your contract is ending. If there aren't any devices you like currently available, why not just delay the upgrade?

I don't want to be stuck with at&t by signing a new contact and delaying the upgrade, at&t is pretty shady but is the only thing that works out here hah. A month by month plan is a good idea! Thanks for the help everyone!

05-10-11 09:41 PM
    I would suggest waiting to see when they announce release dates. no sense in spending money twice. If anything, buy something on Ebay or Craigslist to hold you over until the new ones comes out.
    05-10-11 09:45 PM
    Yeah. All your contract requires is that you have to remain with said carrier for X amount of time or there will be an ETF. When your contract ends, it does not mean you must get a new contract, nor does it mean you will be dropped. Contracts in the US are currently for two things: new service, when you first sign up, and new phones. In both, they exist so the company can have some guarantee that they will get the money back for the phone subsidy or for a discount plan price.

Once your contract is up, you're still free to keep your phone and keep your plan. You can wait as long as you want to get a new phone or you can change carriers. When your contract ends it just means there is no monetary penalty for leaving, and no limit on the subsidy price for an upgrade.

My advice: Unless you feel you absolutely MUST have a new phone right away because there is something very wrong with your current phone, wait a bit to see if something comes out that you like.
    05-11-11 12:00 AM
    ^That.

Just hang on a couple of months longer. It will be worth your while. You'll kick yourself when the new devices come out and you've acted too early.
    05-11-11 06:14 AM
    My contract was up last month. I'm just waiting, as others have stated, for the device I want before I sign a new contract. There is nothing you have to do except be patient. (easier said than done)
    05-11-11 08:27 AM
    Thanks everyone for the help! I was not aware that I did not need to sign another contract at the end of my 2 year to keep my service going. AT&T pretty much made it sound like I automatically roll into another 2 year contract, which I'm not ok with. I've been looking to drop AT&T for awhile due to their poor customer service and "beating around the bush" tactics so I will hang on for a few months to see where the new phones go. My Curve is still in great shape so I can certainly continue to use it! Thanks again!
    05-11-11 12:50 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD