"The BlackBerry KeyOne is getting another deep price cut meant to appeal to nostalgics still in love with the brand. The KEYonemade its debut on the market back in April 2017, so support is almost certain to stop in just a few months."

I thought the Key devices were getting 3 years security updates. Is BlackBerry Mobile and BlackBerry Limited changing course and cutting off at two like the DTEK devices?

https://www.phonearena.com/news/Deal...e-270_id112715
    01-13-19 09:33 PM
    security updates may continue but you wont see any new OS updates i would guess
    01-13-19 09:41 PM
    Security updates may continue? I thought with Key and all BlackBerry Mobile devices after DTEK were 3 years for enterprise purposes and work certified. ( one or none OS updates depending on GSM or CDMA) Does this article imply security is changing to 2 for KeyOne or is Phone Arena incorrect. Seems like many in the KeyOne forums are already not receiving regular security updates.
    01-14-19 02:42 PM
    Project Treble policies only apply to phones released with Oreo or later (aka the KeyTwo), so BBMo has discretion about how long they'll continue releasing updates for older phones. It remains to be seen what they will actually do, but they aren't compelled to do more for the older devices.
    01-14-19 02:56 PM
    To continue to meet the requirements of the Android Enterprise Recommends program... it needs to get security updates for three years. It's assumed that BBMo will "fully" work to meet those requirements. But its a currently qualifies type of program, no guarantee of any kind.

But BBMo (current website product info for KEYone) themselves only state "BlackBerry KEYone will consistently receive monthly Android security updates ensuring your device remains secure for a minimum of 24 months. " Max could be longer...

We will know in a few months....
    anon(10218918) likes this.
    01-14-19 02:59 PM
    Let us hope, TCL is not going one more step to run the name BlackBerry in the dirt...

Posted via CB10
    01-14-19 03:42 PM
    Let us hope, TCL is not going one more step to run the name BlackBerry in the dirt...

Posted via CB10
    BlackBerry wasn't going to have a name in the mobile space otherwise, so we are just lucky TCL stepped up to the plate.

I'd also add that most of the press has been fairly positive.
    Last edited by conite; 01-14-19 at 04:12 PM.
    the_boon likes this.
    01-14-19 03:46 PM
    BlackBerry wasn't going to have a name in the mobile space otherwise, so we are just lucky TCL stepped up to the plate.

I'd also add that most of the press has been very positive.
    Maybe in the USA but not here in Germany. The USA are not the center of the world.

Posted via CB10
    01-14-19 04:09 PM
    Maybe in the USA but not here in Germany. The USA are not the center of the world.

Posted via CB10
    I'm not in the USA.
    01-14-19 04:11 PM

Posted via CB10
    BlackBerry's track record so far has been 0-1 major updates and ~24 months of security updates on their devices (Priv, DTEKs) so TCL so far is keeping pace with them if not doing better.
    01-15-19 09:35 AM
    This is IMO:

The only reason we wouldn't see three years (from launch) of updates is if BlackBerry Mobile throws in the towel and gives up on the brand. I really do expect my KEYone to receive patches as long as Google is publishing them for Oreo. And I expect AT&T to push them. If that doesn't happen, my KEYone will be my last Android phone, and/or I'll quit AT&T.

I'm not paying for premature obsolescence anymore in mobile. I expect performance to degrade slowly due to code bloat, but otherwise I expect devices to last 3-5 years at a minimum. I've been spoiled by BlackBerry over the past 10 years. I had my Bold for more than four years, and my Z10 for almost six.

I have the KEYone now, but it's still not my primary phone, though that may change sometime this year.

Posted with my trusty Z10
    Last edited by bb10adopter111; 01-15-19 at 11:00 AM.
    01-15-19 09:50 AM
    This is IMO:

The only reason we wouldn't see three years (from launch) of updates is if BlackBerry Mobile throws in the towel and gives up on the Brand. I really do expect my KEYone to receive patches as long as Google is publishing them for Oreo. And I expect AT&T to push them. If that doesn't happen, my KEYone will be my last Android phone, and/or I'll quit AT&T.

I'm not paying for premature obsolescence anymore in mobile. I expected t performance to degrade slowly, but otherwise I expect devices to last 3-5 years at a minimum. I've been spoiled by BlackBerry over the past 10 years. I had my Bold for more than four years, and my Z10 for almost six.

I have the KEYone now, but it's still not my primary phone, though that may change sometime this year.

And I would assume that the penalties for getting out of their five-year licensing contract would far exceed the cost of distributing Blackberry updates to its devices.
    01-15-19 10:33 AM
    And I would assume that the penalties for getting out of their five-year licensing contract would far exceed the cost of distributing Blackberry updates to its devices.
    I assume there is no requirement to do updates in that "contract". At least based on what PT BlackBerry Merah Putih has gotten away with.

I remember back when Chen first came to BlackBerry... he announced that Five-Year Strategic Partnership With Foxconn. Devil is in the details and we really don't have those.

Updates.... for now I'd go with what BBMo has in writing, which for the KEYone was two years minimum. If they planned three years or five years, why did they limit marketing to two years.

Android Enterprise Recommends.... there are now almost 5000 devices on that list. Maybe Project Treble and Android One will allow most to meet the requirements... KEYone didn't make it on the Android 8 list (Motion did), I wonder if the lack of a CDMA update has held it back, and might cause it to fall off the list soon anyway.
    01-15-19 11:59 AM
    Phone arena does go by rumours... Just wait until then.

Typed on my BlackBerry passport, via freedom mobile DC-HSPA+/LTE
    01-17-19 12:56 PM
    Phone arena does go by rumours... Just wait until then.

Typed on my BlackBerry passport, via freedom mobile DC-HSPA+/LTE
    Thank you. It's confusing as Conite and others note 3 years and then this posts and is a contradiction. I have a DTEK50 and it received 2. I am giving serious consideration to a Black Edition KeyOne or Key2 LE to return to a physical keyboard. The more recent validation of the camera for the KeyOne via Marques Brownlee's blind test has me leaning KeyOne. I take a ton of photos of my kids and our family events. (That don't necessarily need my Cannon DSLR)
    01-17-19 03:59 PM
    BB states

"BlackBerry will consistently receive monthly Android security updates ensuring your device remains secure for a minimum of 24 months."

So after 2 years its hard to say how much support they will give. The KeyOne will run out of that 2 years in less than 3 months and certainly isnt getting anymore major OS updates.
    bakron1 likes this.
    01-17-19 04:39 PM
    BB states

"BlackBerry will consistently receive monthly Android security updates ensuring your device remains secure for a minimum of 24 months."

So after 2 years its hard to say how much support they will give. The KeyOne will run out of that 2 years in less than 3 months and certainly isnt getting anymore major OS updates.
    I have always banked on a couple of years of OS support and never really expected anything more after 2 years. Usually by then, I am ready to upgrade my device anyways.
    01-17-19 05:44 PM
    BB states

Oreo should receive updates for another two years or so. If those are pushed to my KEYone I hope to keep it at least until the start of 2021.

bh7171 likes this.
    01-17-19 05:57 PM
    Oreo should receive updates for another two years or so. If those are pushed to my KEYone I hope to keep it at least until the start of 2021.

oreo can get those updates from google but that doesnt mean the BB will apply them though.
    01-17-19 06:02 PM
    oreo can get those updates from google but that doesnt mean the BB will apply them though.
    Correct. That's why I used the word, "If". Both BlackBerry and AT&T have to perform for me to get my KEYone updates. As I said earlier, I think BlackBerry Mobile will do its part unless they decide to give up on the Brand.
    howarmat likes this.
    01-17-19 06:07 PM